Alma Mater

letsgiveacheer

Unbelievable. I knew this thread would be here today. Did Riley look bad yesterday? Yes. But come on.

What I'm most worried about is why I saw some of you 'big players' here on the board not participating in the singing of our alma mater. I guess getting on the field after the game is more important.

I did not want to hijack the other thread, but playing the Alma Mater AFTER the game is a HS tradition that has carried over to many colleges, including ours. Why ask people to stand and sing when they are trying to leave or go onto the field? Makes no sense.

The proper and logical time to play the Alma Mater is at the beginning of the game just prior to the National Anthem. People are in place, standing and ready to start the game.

Speaking about the band, while listening on the Internet last night, I heard them play exactly four tunes: the fight song, a fanfare when we got a first down, "Fly Like an Eagle", and a very common ditty based on major thirds. Maybe other pieces were played while the radio was in commercial break, but even still, that seems like a pretty limited repertoire to me. Sort of like the early Dickey era when we only had one play...run the ball!

playing the alma mater before the game would mean most fans would hear it from the parking lot. playing it after the game would result in most fans listening to brent musburger instead having left at halftime.

if we're talking about the timing of tradition, did anyone ever explain shooting off boomer after the ohio loss? i understand the need to follow through on the fireworks, as some parents can only convince their kids to stay for the whole game with the promise of an after-show, but boomer was confusing a couple weeks ago.

playing the alma mater before the game would mean most fans would hear it from the parking lot. playing it after the game would result in most fans listening to brent musburger instead having left at halftime.

if we're talking about the timing of tradition, did anyone ever explain shooting off boomer after the ohio loss? i understand the need to follow through on the fireworks, as some parents can only convince their kids to stay for the whole game with the promise of an after-show, but boomer was confusing a couple weeks ago.

Have you ever tried to unload a loaded cannon? I am pretty sure they had it prepped for the win. Once it is loaded, the is only one good way to unload it.

To me singing of the alma mater at the end of the game shows that we have school spirit and pride no matter the outcome of the game. Someone better tell Mack Brown and all the UT fans that singing it after the game is high school.

One step further -- A&M has a special song they sing when they lose to show they are still behind the team after the team. They have been singing it a lot lately -- but they still sing it.

• 3 years later...