He's At It Again: Lance Armstrong Misses The Yellow

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=Ahnq8...p&type=lgns

MONTPELLIER, France (AP)—Lance Armstrong surged within a second of the Tour de France lead after his Astana squad won Tuesday’s team time trial in a dramatic finish.

Wouldn't that be something if the greatest athlete of all time ends up winning #8 this year, after a 4 year layoff, plus coming off a broken collar bone injury two months ago?

Amazing!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

If he is in the lead after the first mountain stage, he will test positive for a banned substance and be disqualified, whether he actually took the substance or not. The French hate him and don't want him to win an 8th title.

Professional cycling is the dirtiest sport around, both from an athlete/doping standpoint and an officiating/drug testing standpoint.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=Ahnq8...p&type=lgns

Wouldn't that be something if the greatest athlete of all time ends up winning #8 this year, after a 4 year layoff, plus coming off a broken collar bone injury two months ago?

Amazing!

Rick

If he pulls it off, it'll be insane. Totally nut.

I thought Armstrong agreed to ride in a support role this year. What happened to that? I do not think he will be able to win the overall race...a stage or two, perhaps, but overall winner...much in doubt...as much as i would love to see him win it an eight time after the layoff. Amazing athlete.

I thought Armstrong agreed to ride in a support role this year. What happened to that? I do not think he will be able to win the overall race...a stage or two, perhaps, but overall winner...much in doubt...as much as i would love to see him win it an eight time after the layoff. Amazing athlete.

I think the final plan was to let Armstorng and Alberto Cantador race it out to figure out who the stronger rider was and who would ride in support of whom. Of course that was a BS plan b/c no matter what Armstrong wasn't coming back be drafted off.

You have to wonder what other hopefuls are thinking now, when so many mountain climbs are still ahead of them? If Armstrong can still climb like he used to be able to, and the fact that he now has one of the other strong climbers in Popavich(sp?) on his team to assist, there's no telling what he may do?

Just crazy. And yes, physically, psychologically, determination-wise, he's the greatest athlete ever, in any sport. If he's not the greatest, who is?

Rick

I'd throw in someone like Hannes Kolehmainen into the discussion. Won world class cross country races, as well as track distances of 5K & 10K AND the Marathon.

Or if we're going for multiple sports...Jim Thorpe. That guy could do everything.

Edited by CMJ

You have to wonder what other hopefuls are thinking now, when so many mountain climbs are still ahead of them? If Armstrong can still climb like he used to be able to, and the fact that he now has one of the other strong climbers in Popavich(sp?) on his team to assist, there's no telling what he may do?

Just crazy. And yes, physically, psychologically, determination-wise, he's the greatest athlete ever, in any sport. If he's not the greatest, who is?

Rick

If Armstrong can win the first mountain stage, he will get a huge confidence boost, not to mention the doubt that would put into every other riders mind (Armstrong? Here we go again!!!). It will be interesting to see who the team gets behind.

Armstrong = Greatest cyclist ever!

Phelps = Greatest Swimmer ever!

But, greatest Athlete ever????? How can a one-sport athlete be the "greatest athlete of all time"? I do not think I could ever consider a "one sport wonder" the greatest athlete of all time. With that criteria why not throw in Tiger Woods?...I am thinking that CMJ may be on to something with the Jim Thorpe vote.

Edited by KRAM1

Rick

I don't know but there are many many athletes that have dominated a sport, Muhammad Ali comes to mind, Roger Federer, Barry Sanders, Tiger Woods, Michael Shumaker... There is a pretty good list of people who have absolutely dominated their individual sport

How about Bo Jackson, he did everything...

I will say that Lance has just about the best story out of all of them though.

How can a one-sport athlete be the "greatest athlete of all time"?

The physical characteristics, the cancer survival and the outright dominance of such an extremely grueling event the Tour always is and his high intensity to train harder than anyone else is how I label him as the greatest. Here's a good read by National Geographic into his physical characteristics and training regimen.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20..._armstrong.html

From 1992 to 1999, the year of his first Tour de France win, Armstrong was able to increase his muscle efficiency by 8 percent through hard and dedicated training. Coyle says Armstrong is the only human who has been shown to change his muscle efficiency.

Rick

I don't know but there are many many athletes that have dominated a sport, Muhammad Ali comes to mind, Roger Federer, Barry Sanders, Tiger Woods, Michael Shumaker... There is a pretty good list of people who have absolutely dominated their individual sport

How about Bo Jackson, he did everything...

I will say that Lance has just about the best story out of all of them though.

In order for Tiger Woods to be considered the greatest athlete of all time, he has to play a sport.

I would say considering the physical demand of cycling, Lance would def be 1-3

In order for Tiger Woods to be considered the greatest athlete of all time, he has to play a sport.

SPORT–noun 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

Edited by Green P1

The physical characteristics, the cancer survival and the outright dominance of such an extremely grueling event the Tour always is and his high intensity to train harder than anyone else is how I label him as the greatest. Here's a good read by National Geographic into his physical characteristics and training regimen.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20..._armstrong.html

Rick

There are many athletes who have grueling training regimens, that does not in itself create the greatest athlete of all time, who doesn't remember hearing about Jerry Rice, Hershal Walker, and the like with their grueling training and lust for physical fitness.

Jerry Rice defies age with his workouts -NYTimes

I would say considering the physical demand of cycling, Lance would def be 1-3

I would say that considering the physical demand of Boxing that Muhammad Ali, or even better the greatness of Jack Johnson might have something to say about that.

Golf is the greatest sport ever because it alows for drinking and exercising at the same time... Sports are exercise right?