Time To Get On The Record

NT80

I tell myself every year that we are gonna have things break the right way and it will be a great year. This will be our year, we are really gonna take off and wake up the giant. Folks, that giant is drunker then Cooter Brown and it's gonna take a hell of a lot to wake him up anytime soon. I can't stand the disappointment of dreaming of knocking off (insert body-bag game here) only to have the dream shot down infinity to 6. Hell, lately I have dreamt of NT knocking off Cubscout troop 467 but I think that would have been a stretch last year. I want us to have a winning record but I just fininshed an extensive stint at Betty Ford and I am currently taking a course of methadone to get me off of the kool-aid. I have binged every year since 1994. From February to August I've been on the kool-aid and my liver just can't take it anymore. I think I will go into this year with a clear head. I will say 3-9 and I think that may be a stretch. I think Ohio, La-Mo, and WKU will be wins and that is if everything goes our way in those games.

Edited by Eagle-96

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pencil me in the "won't believe it until I see it" category. I was way too optimistic the past two seasons and fell for all the coach-speak. I'm not falling for it again. Going from worst to average would be a miracle in itself. The spring game wasn't a good selling point to showcase an offensive machine with miracle new QB. Until I see something different on the scoreboard then a 2-10 record at best this year and I'll be pushing for some major changes for next year if that happens.

2-10 :(

Edited by NT80

I am one who thought that 2008 would be better than 2007. Oops..... I have learned my lesson. I think we will be 2-10 again this year. I am just not sure where the two wins will come from. Until we have a kick ass, take no prisoners type of defense like Brandon Kennedy and that bunch we will not be in the running for a conference championship. I do not see that happening this year.

I'm in the same boat with you in regards to learning my lesson after being burned last year. While it would be nice to have the great defense we had with Booger again (weren't we top 5 in a couple of defensive categories), I don't think that's necessarily the key to this team's success. A more consistent, reliable offense and an average to good defense should get this team back to where it needs to be in the win column.

Pencil me in the "won't believe it until I see it" category. I was way too optimistic the past two seasons and fell for all the coach-speak. I'm not falling for it again. Going from worst to average would be a miracle in itself. The spring game wasn't a good selling point to showcase an offensive machine with miracle new QB. Until I see something different on the scoreboard then a 2-10 record at best this year and I'll be pushing for some major changes for next year if that happens.

NT80, I think you must be my long lost brother. I can't remember reading a post from you that I didn't agree with wholeheartedly. After watching the train-wreck of the last two seasons and seeing my hopes washed down the drain, I can't let myself fall for that again this year. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than deeply disappointed, so I'm going into this season with very low expectations.

Heart says 5-7

Mind says 2-10

2-10.

I have to agree with both of you guys. I said last year this team would win 3 maybe 4 and we were lucky to win 1. Spring game showed me very little that much has improved. I say 2-10. Maybe 3 wins, but I have a hard time finding a 3rd win. I doubt this teams wins a non conference game.

I predict that...

I will attend all the home games....

I will tailgate for about 3 of them(as I have a preteen, a toddler, and one on the way), anymore tailgating and I think I'd be pushing my luck with the wife...

I will not declare that I am watching the worst football in div 1 college football this year...

I will giggle when my toddler holds her right hand up in the shape of a claw and caws...

I will curse under my breath when I see burnt orange and maroon in our stands...

I will talk about how cool it will be when we have a new stadium...

I will renew my season tickets again for the next year...

I will NOT dance like the guy in that excessive celebration post right before mine... that is pretty funny. Those of you that know me would probably pay top dollar for me to try though...

I'm going with 4-8:

Out of conference wins over Ohio, and Army.

In conference we finally beat Arky State, and beat WKU without having to do it in the last few minutes.

A big question mark in the above is Army; their new coach really knows football, and really knows the triple option. Also, they weren't really all that bad last year if you look at their record. A personal question for me is, do I feel conflicted, since I was in the Army for a brief and long ago period of my life, gaining the educational benefits which allowed me to graduate from North Texas.

I'm going with 4-8:

Out of conference wins over Ohio, and Army.

In conference we finally beat Arky State, and beat WKU without having to do it in the last few minutes.

A big question mark in the above is Army; their new coach really knows football, and really knows the triple option. Also, they weren't really all that bad last year if you look at their record. A personal question for me is, do I feel conflicted, since I was in the Army for a brief and long ago period of my life, gaining the educational benefits which allowed me to graduate from North Texas.

No conflict. North Texas needs the win more than Army. Army will still have its reputation whether it wins or loses any one game. Ours rides on every game we play against a "name" opponent.

4-8 or 5-7

The main thing I'm looking for this season is improvement. I don't wan't to see us losing 89-3 vs Rice anymore. I think that this team is starting to accumulate some talent, and more importantly some depth. I think that we will be running the ball alot more this year. Cam is a proven legit starter, Mosely can get you that 1 yd on 3rd and 1. Dunbar is a home run threat, he is the real deal. Mathis and Hamilton in there to boot. The one thing that I think will be key is running the zone read with Riley. The running game will open up the passing game.

4-8 or 5-7

The main thing I'm looking for this season is improvement. I don't wan't to see us losing 89-3 vs Rice anymore. I think that this team is starting to accumulate some talent, and more importantly some depth. I think that we will be running the ball alot more this year. Cam is a proven legit starter, Mosely can get you that 1 yd on 3rd and 1. Dunbar is a home run threat, he is the real deal. Mathis and Hamilton in there to boot. The one thing that I think will be key is running the zone read with Riley. The running game will open up the passing game.

Do you think Hamilton might be moved back to another position? If we have a healthy Cam, Micah, and Dunbar, with Mathis waiting in the wings, it seems like Hamilton is overkill. He proved that he can do a good job at the position, but I don't see him getting a lot of PT there. The man needs to be on the field, and I'm not sure RB is the best way to get him there.

I desperately want to see this team show some "heart" and pride. More has been done with less talent and far inferior facilities at North Texas. The honeymoon is over for TD. It's time to walk the walk, but he's got to get his team to "buy in". My heart says 6-6. My mind says 0-12 with academics, drugs, and hoodlums continuing to be a problem creating distractions that kill any hope of optimism.

If we were to take every game last season and improve our performance by 27 points in each game, we would still have wound up at 3-9. That is the gap between being merely a bad team versus the team we rolled out last season.

Since I can't see how we improved ourselves by 27 points per game, I can't predict anything better than 3-9. The schedule seems a little easier (not much, but a little) and we should be better defensively, which should allow us to steal a game or two that we didn't have a chance to get the last two years.

The key to me is our first two games. Ball State is rebuilding (on offense) with a new QB and an inexperienced O line. Then we have Ohio at home.

We can definitely go 1-1 in those games....possibly 2-0.

But, if we go 0-2....that's gonna set a tone for the season...and I'm not sure we'd recover from that. In other words, our kids need some confidence. If we start out slow...I think the reminders of the previous two seasons would be enough to kill us.

So....I can see us going anywhere from 2-10 to 7-5.

But since I think this will be a turnaround season I'll be optimistic and say 7-5.

Have to agree - this is a favorable schedule. Ball State is a loss, as are Troy, AU, and FAU... but the other 8 games are up in the air as far as I am concerned. I say that we beat Ohio, Army, Western, ULM, and Arkansas State. 5 wins and another year for Dodgy poo.

If we were to take every game last season and improve our performance by 27 points in each game, we would still have wound up at 3-9. That is the gap between being merely a bad team versus the team we rolled out last season.

Since I can't see how we improved ourselves by 27 points per game, I can't predict anything better than 3-9. The schedule seems a little easier (not much, but a little) and we should be better defensively, which should allow us to steal a game or two that we didn't have a chance to get the last two years.

27 points better and only 2 more wins indicates a very bad team. we can improve but too much we need for it to eqqual 5 wins. no wayy.

Good observation. Ouch.

Do you think Hamilton might be moved back to another position? If we have a healthy Cam, Micah, and Dunbar, with Mathis waiting in the wings, it seems like Hamilton is overkill. He proved that he can do a good job at the position, but I don't see him getting a lot of PT there. The man needs to be on the field, and I'm not sure RB is the best way to get him there.

I agree with you, I think moving him to the slot would be best for all. One person that I think may impress this season as a freshman is Darius Carey at WR. And also the DT from N.O. Louisiana is an under recruited area with really great talent.