New Stadium Update

I was on campus yesterday and actually picked a NT Daily End of the Semester Issue and it contained an article about new and future buildings on campus. They talked about the new Life Sciences Center, New Business Bldg among others and the news stadium.

Apparently the new stadium was referred as the most controversial new project here at UNT and went on to say that new stadium contruction would begin in February 2010, which is a date I never heard of before and with the way things are going I dont think Feb 2010 sounds like a feasible time to break ground on a new stadium. This made me feel uncomfortable about where we are at with the stadium plans.

Also the New Business Leadership Bldg would begin construction this fall with Kendall being demolished and would be completed in 2011. Also a new multi-level parking garage would be added next to the new business bldg where Highland Hall is right now.

Breaking ground is like breaking wind....you can do it anytime. Trust not what you read in the Daily. Embryonic journalists who are being taught to lean as far left as possible.

Ughh That would be hard to do ;) ...What was the original groundbreaking date?

Lets all grab shovels and have our own ground breaking party, bring some ziplocs and save some earth for a memento.

Edited by KingDL1

I think we have heard Jan 2010 as a date before. You have to also remember the role the Daily has played in making the stadium issue a controversy. I will have to read the article, but the things you posted didn't sound all that negative.

PS. You know there is an entire forum dedicated to the stadium.

The dates mentioned at the spring game for groundbreaking were end of 2009 or early 2010 so this is in line with that. Plus, we have no structure to demolish over there (unless we want to take out a few Denia homes.. :) ). I've heard max construction time is 18 months, like Smut, but they had to demolish Ownby Stadium first. The Daily is still just trying to stir the pot on this any way they can. :angry:

Why is setting a date for ground breaking a bad thing? We were told late 09-early 10, isn't February early 2010?

All I know is Dodge's first game in that stadium will be with a high school team.

Edited by shaft

The dates mentioned at the spring game for groundbreaking were end of 2009 or early 2010 so this is in line with that. Plus, we have no structure to demolish over there (unless we want to take out a few Denia homes.. :) ). I've heard max construction time is 18 months, like Smut, but they had to demolish Ownby Stadium first. The Daily is still just trying to stir the pot on this any way they can. :angry:

I don't personally know anyone who lives there, but given the griping and sniping by the Denia homeowners group, I would like to propose a name change of their neighborhood to the Denia(l) Homeowners Association.

Yeah I know, I think there has to be a mistake or the Athletic Dept is up to something. Who breaks ground in FEB?????

In Texas, people break ground in any given month. We dont exactly have a "dead of winter" here. Every minute you own a piece of land with no improvement on it, youre losing money. So most developers dont care what month it is.