Cant Wait For The Qb Battle !

saysojoe

Texas would have flipped him out to WR or stuck him as a backup DB. The scouting reports on him - the one by actual scouts and college coaches - also mentioned his lack of size and lack of arm strength.

In just the little time he's put in, he wracked up a concussion. In his final high school game, he broke his collarbone. His size and durability at this level are legitimate question marks until he can get out on the field and prove he can overcome them at this level.

If he can't, it's no big deal. Flip him back out to WR and let him make plays there. I'd personally like to see him returning punts and kicks. But, he can't do that and play QB.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual threat is what Coach Dodges "O" is all about. Riley or Baine is what this offense is set up for. When you have a QB that can do the Zone read and tuck it and run .....man does that open it for Cam when they have to spy the QB because he is a "THREAT to pull the ball and take off the opposite side of the tackle. Vizza in my "COACH from the BLEACHERS" opinion never really could pull the ball and take off and have any sucess....... they collapsed on him to quick.

Dodge 2007 your dislike for the Dodges is well noted on this board. We get It. The addition of the TE will help who ever is back there trying hard to a please you!!!!!!! But I have a feeling who ever it is you will never pleased.

Clement from RICE........... True....Dual Threat

The great CHASE DANIEL True... Dual Threat

I have seen both Riley and Baine play in high school both have the same qualities of the above mentioned.

It should be fun for some of us to watch......... for you "doubters" hope you will give them a chance before you Judge !!!!

I will Be There APRIL 4th !!!!

Hey Green 59, I have not seen you around for awhile. Welcome back!

My opinion about the QB race is this. High school teams seem to have their

best athlete playing QB. Riley is a great athlete who played QB in HS, 2

time Texas Class 5A POY and Offensive POY. Riley could play several

other positions easily. Second, Riley has been learning to play

Dodgeball, ever since he could pick up a football. Riley knows

the offense, knows how to read defense formations and coverages,

with just a glance. Riley is smart, with his management of the offense.

Riley has a very quick release of the ball, and is a very accurate passer.

Riley is a very gifted runner, very quick acceleration, elusive, and seems

to have a 6th sense about his surroundings during any play. From watching

Riley in HS and in the few NT games where he played, I see Riley as a very

special player, that NT is very fortunate to have.

I think Riley will have a huge advantage in the QB race, for my reasons

above, and not becasue he is the HFC's son.

To be fair to Nathan Tune, I have not seen Nathan play much. I will not rule

Nathan out of the race, because Nathan has his athletic abilities too. Plus

Nathan has had 2 years of learning the system. The team needs Nathan,

and he will play in 2009. For Baine, I have not seen him play. I have read

sports write up's about him, and I have read postings from GMG fans that have

followed his career. Baine is a good athlete too, and will get chance to prove

he is worthy to play QB. I will be very interested to see how he competes.

For the walkon JUCO, I have no idea who this player is much less what he can do.

The staff must see something in him or he would not walking on at NT.

My vote will go to Riley to become the starting NT QB.

I am very happy that Riley is on this team! I think some on this board are afraid that Riley will be given preferential treatment simply because he is the coach's son. I also suspect Todd Dodge is acutely aware of that sentiment and will respond in as fair a manner as possible...yet, with a winning season in mind.

I am very happy that Riley is on this team! I think some on this board are afraid that Riley will be given preferential treatment simply because he is the coach's son. I also suspect Todd Dodge is acutely aware of that sentiment and will respond in as fair a manner as possible...yet, with a winning season in mind.

I completely agree. I think Dodge is a smart guy and he knows that his job is riding on a winning season this year. I know that there are several people he that firmly believe that coach Dodge is going to play favorites and that is the end of the argument. I disagree. Dodge has to put a winning team on the field this year or risk his job, I do not think that preferential treatment for his son is going to help him do that. If Riley is the best option tan I think that he will be the one throwing the passes.

I am looking forward to this upcoming season and I do believe that Riley will be the QB but not because of who his father is but because of who he is and what he can do.

Yep, and if Riley had gone to Texas, the same folks on this board complaining about Riley and/or the fact that is Dad is the head coach would be blowing the head coach up for not getting his son to play for UNT. Seems with some folks here, neither TD nor Riley can do anything (anything at all) to please them. I guess some folks just need something to complain about or they aren't happy. Perhaps these folks are the "glass is half empty" folks. Oh, well...so it goes.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yep, and if Riley had gone to Texas, the same folks on this board complaining about Riley and/or the fact that is Dad is the head coach would be blowing the head coach up for not getting his son to play for UNT. Seems with some folks here, neither TD nor Riley can do anything (anything at all) to please them. I guess some folks just need something to complain about or they aren't happy. Perhaps these folks are the "glass is half empty" folks. Oh, well...so it goes.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Sure hoping that changes with a few victories! GMG

GO MEAN GREEN!

Actually, this glass is not half empty, it is 87.5 percent empty and 12.5 percent full.

But I am intrigued to see what Riley can do and I am hoping for his success.

There will be no battle. Dodge starts Dodge. TD himself called his son in the NY Times the second best QB he has coached and seen.

The annointed one is what Dodge wanted all along. The only reason he might play nathan tune is to give his son an opportunity to look even better and for tune to take the pounding in games one and two.

Do not overlook "cinderella man"!

Do you think it is possible that Vizza saw the writing on the wall? Two unsuccessful

seasons as starting QB. He knew Riley was no threat last year, and he would more than

likely would be redishirted that first year. You can't tell

me he didn't see enough of the young Dodge as a redshirt to know he had a fight on his hands for

the starting job. Maybe it is a blessing he went elsewhere? I think we should root for whoever

is the QB, but my money tells me that Riley has the ability to do great things for

this program. GMG

Do you think it is possible that Vizza saw the writing on the wall? Two unsuccessful

seasons as starting QB. He knew Riley was no threat last year, and he would more than

me he didn't see enough of the young Dodge as a redshirt to know he had a fight on his hands for

the starting job. Maybe it is a blessing he went elsewhere? I think we should root for whoever

is the QB, but my money tells me that Riley has the ability to do great things for

this program. GMG

Fingers crossed!!

this program. GMG

Sun Belt Conference freshman of the year? All sorts of freshman QB records? Only 2 Ws his first year, but Vizza did his part to make it more. He definitely did not appear to make the strides his sophomore year we were all hoping for, but for his part he had some good success his freshman year.

Everyone better hope that Riley is the real deal. I dread to think what this club would be lead by a true freshman or a journeyman junior quarterback. Thompson and/or Tune maybe adequate or better quarterbacks, but NT is going to need someone bordering on exceptional to begin to turn this team around. Who is the most likely to be successful, the MVP of class 5A and a Parade All American raised in the offensive system, or a lightly recruited freshman or a former walk on.

I agree with that Deer Hunter guy!! TUNE is the man for the job...We all know who is going to start!! DUH!! But, after all the 2-a-day hits R.D. will take I got my money on Tune to take the Mean Green to the top of the Sun Belt!!

If you knew our head coach's practice philosophy, or had seen our "tackling" the last two seasons, you would know that hitting in 2-a-days is non-existent.

If you knew our head coach's practice philosophy, or had seen our "tackling" the last two seasons, you would know that hitting in 2-a-days is non-existent.

You underestimate the many changes that will come under Dodge. Things will change and get better my friend. Oh yes they will!

GMG

PHSCoach, no Dodge fan, said there was tackling in practice last year. And, which of us was there at the 2-a-days? Hey, if you say fans were banned from practices or they you know what happened in them, which was it?