The Home Opener

SUMG

Coach Dodge said tonight that we open at Ball State (as we all know). Anyway, he then noted that the next week we would play at home against Ohio.

So, it seems that our home opener will be Saturday September 12

Also, Coach Dodge told me personally, that fans will be allowed at the first fall scrimmage. That was great news to us fans who like to see the new players in the fall.

How was the crowd at the PourHouse?

Nice crowd....I'm guessing 80-100...it's hard to tell in there.

Two other notes: Coach Dodge did point out, that in spite of all that has happened....we've not lost one single player from the 2008 class.

Also, I asked and was told that they feel very confident that all three of the jucos will qualify (unlike Horton last year). I'm talking about the jucos who aren't here yet (Jackson, Weber and Atkinson).

Also, Coach Dodge told me that the two Mississippi OL jucos who came in last year (Hollivay and Jenkins)---they both came into town way overweight. But, Hollivay got here and was here all summer and dropped 30 lbs before fall camp started. Because of that, Hollivay was able to play in all 12 games, starting many of them.

Jenkins, didn't report until August and didn't have the time to lose weight and had to be redshirted. Because of that, the plan is to get Jackson, Weber and Atkinson here for the summer so that they can be working out and getting in shape.

Also, today at Central Grille I met current player Steve Warren. He told me the new strength coach is working them out hard.

Edited by SUMG

Coach Dodge said tonight that we open at Ball State (as we all know). Anyway, he then noted that the next week we would play at home against Ohio.

So, it seems that our home opener will be Saturday September 12

Also, Coach Dodge told me personally, that fans will be allowed at the first fall scrimmage. That was great news to us fans who like to see the new players in the fall.

Didn't he say last year that fans would be able to get into practice and then that changed?

Didn't he say last year that fans would be able to get into practice and then that changed?

At the Kickoff Cookout, he encouraged fans to come watch his team practice. That's true. But when you went to practice, Mark Barrow had you thrown out.

Barrow is now gone. All I can tell you, is that tonight....Coach Dodge looked me straight in the eye, and told me that fans could go to the first scrimmage.

I guess I'll find out in August.... :huh:

Also, today at Central Grille I met current player Steve Warren. He told me the new strength coach is working them out hard.

I am disappointed in you for going to central grill. *tisk tisk* I have made it a life goal to turn as many people away from them as I can leading that business to ultimate ruin.

I am disappointed in you for going to central grill. *tisk tisk* I have made it a life goal to turn as many people away from them as I can leading that business to ultimate ruin.

WHATTTT????? they are one of the best places to eat in denton, and the owner is one of the nicest guys i have EVER met...i love central grill!

Yeah, good move. They're very supportive of NT Athletics. We need to run all those kind of places out of business. Maybe when they're gone, we can replace them with another Denton business that doesn't give a $hit.

Do some of you people not have an edit mechanism? Does every thought that you have, have to be posted? Good Lord.

Yeah, good move. They're very supportive of NT Athletics. We need to run all those kind of places out of business. Maybe when they're gone, we can replace them with another Denton business that doesn't give a $hit.

Do some of you people not have an edit mechanism? Does every thought that you have, have to be posted? Good Lord.

Travis is a partner for the Pourhouse or something like that, IDK.

Let me add to the group that enjoys the Central Grill and I find the owners very nice. Every time I go or my wife and I go, we are acknowledged and thanked for being there. The owners support UNT and that's a plus for me. I try to support the local businesses that support UNT, and the Central Grill certainly is in that group. I hope you will "re-consider" your stand...if not, just don't go, but stop your "personal campaign" against the place. That makes no sense AT ALL. The area needs all the small businesses it has and it needs the good ones to be successful.

GO MEAN GREEN!

WOW! I sure hope "Travis" has nothing to do with the Pourhose other than going there for a meal and drinks. VERY poor judgement on his part if he is more than a customer. Both the Pourhouse and the Central Grill support UNT. I like (and frequent) both establishments. Denton is certainly big enough for both, and they certainly not located very near each other.

I support those who support the Mean Green. I would hope everyone else would too!

GO MEAN GREEN!

The owner seems kind of fake to me... By fake, I mean puts up a happy face for customers....

I've been going there for about three years. The last time I went in it had been about 6 months and the owner recognized me, remembered my name, and sat at my table asking about my former job, apartment, and girlfriend (all of which he remembered in great detail.) I would assume he treats patrons differently based on the level of kindness/sincerity they show him. The Pourhouse is a great establishment with a wonderful building and environment, but by design they can't and don't come close to approaching the level of service/hospitality delivered by Central Grill.

Again, not a knock against the Pourhouse, but Central Grill is really one of the top notch establishments in all of Denton.

Is that the hamburger joint over by Chase bank? Looks like a retro diner inside?

I think that might be Katz's....that you're talking about.

The first time I ever went into Central Grille...was last August. I went in, because so many folks on here had raved about it.

That night was the night of the Kickoff Cookout. I was joined by fellow posters, Fire Fightin Rick, NT80, and the great Green Grenade II. We all ordered and our food was great. Since we were new customers, Tom and Cheryl both came over, and talked to us....and were just great. As we were eating, Tom asked if we liked chicken wings. We all said that we did. Anyway, minutes later....Tom comes out with 20 wings (4 different flavors)....and they were "on the house."

So, I love Central Grill. And of all the places in Denton I go.....I think they're the absolute best at customer service.

I think that might be Katz's....that you're talking about.

The first time I ever went into Central Grille...was last August. I went in, because so many folks on here had raved about it.

That night was the night of the Kickoff Cookout. I was joined by fellow posters, Fire Fightin Rick, NT80, and the great Green Grenade II. We all ordered and our food was great. Since we were new customers, Tom and Cheryl both came over, and talked to us....and were just great. As we were eating, Tom asked if we liked chicken wings. We all said that we did. Anyway, minutes later....Tom comes out with 20 wings (4 different flavors)....and they were "on the house."

So, I love Central Grill. And of all the places in Denton I go.....I think they're the absolute best at customer service.

My daughter loves to come up to basketball games with me just to stop by and get a Katz burger first. it is like a little Fudrucker's. Great dad n daughter thing for us. We love it!!!

The owner seems kind of fake to me... By fake, I mean puts up a happy face for customers....

He never tells me when he's had a bad day, or what he did earlier, or why he didn't call either. He talks just as much to that handsome gentlemen wearing a rakish derby with the handlebar mustache as he does to me.

Unrequited love is a bitch.

Travis is a partner for the Pourhouse or something like that, IDK.

As far as I know Travis has no affiliation to the Pourhouse. I think if you talked to Nick and Rick they would tell you that they wish nothing but success to all "local" business in Denton. Especially people that support this program.

The Central Grille is great.

I don't want this thread turning into a Pourhouse hates Central Grill because they don't

Edited by Green Nightmare

Ha... no.

I don't work for any restaurant. Though, I love Pourhouse a million times more than central grill.

I am kidding about my first post... well, sort of. I wasn't serious when I said that I wanted them ruined. I guess Quoner is the only one that can have sarcasm. But, I don't like them and since you guys asked... while I think it is nice that they support mean green... that doesn't mean they get a free pass on all things bad service. I deal with many establishments next to unt because of my job and my experience has been a rollercoaster with them. They have been real nice at times and other times they have been one of the rudest i have dealt with. And, i am not one of those customers who is difficult at all.

The wife or head woman there has always been sweet. But, that guy (the husband, i assume) was and has been rude and lacks common courtesy most every time i have been there. In fact, so much so that the last time I went with a group of 6, every one of them swore not to return because of that one person. To make a long story short, it was one of the worst experiences I have had concerning customer treatment at a restaurant next to my time at Obzeets. Anyone been there (kinda in Carrolton)? that owner is a douche. I would have summed it up that it was a bad day.... but, he must have a lot of bad days.

To top it off, a co worker of mine talked to an employee of theirs who was a pretty decent person. And they may have a nice face to the customers... but, that individual's testimony was something a little more different to their staff.

I have more bad stories but there is no need to keep going.

thats my judgement. and yes, just the judgement of a customer only.

LONG LIVE DENTON COUNTY INDEPENDENT HAMBURGER!

*disclaimer* no I don't represent them either

Edited by Travis

Now that you mention it, I've been to Katz's once. Liked it. After much googling, I was able to figure out what the Central Grill is, and I've seen it, but not been in. I park on the other side of campus, so I don't get over to that side much unless it's game day, in which case, I'm probably eating my own wings in the parking lot. I'll make an effort to get over there one of these days.

ETA -- As for the Pourhouse, nice joint. Really it is. But if this makes any sense, it's too nice for my pedestrian tastes. I never have been able to reconcile the concept of sports, beer, and barca loungers in a retail environment, but that's just me. It seems to appeal to a lot of people.

Edited by oldguystudent