Apr News From Signing Day Blog

UNTflyer

The APR information that the North Texas compliance office submitted to the NCAA for the fall semester is the highest score ever posted by the Mean Green football team since the inception of the APR in 2003. If the team is able to repeat its academic performance this spring, North Texas would have one of the largest one-year improvements in the APR among all college football programs.

Yea...my wife is a tutor for student athletes so I guess it's working!!! although it is funny when she comments that some of the players will go all semester and not own a book, not take notes, and wonder why they are struggling...and they can't believe she never cheated in college...but maybe if you don't read the material, study, or take notes there are not many other options :).

I know we typically judge on field performance but I was impressed with this note from the blog

"Defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach is known for leading some of the best defenses in North Texas history during his time here from 1998-2002. What many fans don’t know is the impact DeLoach has on the academic performance of his players. He has always stressed accountability in the classroom and he brought a little trick that he learned at UCLA to help instill that value in his current players. DeLoach keeps a very close eye on class attendance and when one of his players misses class, he requires them to stand outside his office and hold their books above their head until he feels that enough of the information has seeped from those books into their heads."

Another reason Deloach is such a class act!

---Having idiots and outlaws and losing 11 is completely unacceptable. At least if we are that bad we should do it with intelligent people that reflect well on the university in other ways. Actually I think intelligent guys that are not great athletes can figure out a way to do better than we have done the past two years. 50 points per game.!!! Awful .... the worse ever ...by anyone.

Yea...my wife is a tutor for student athletes so I guess it's working!!! although it is funny when she comments that some of the players will go all semester and not own a book, not take notes, and wonder why they are struggling...and they can't believe she never cheated in college...but maybe if you don't read the material, study, or take notes there are not many other options :).

That's interesting. I always thought of tutoring as when a knowledgeable person comes along to help someone AFTER that person has given it a try but just can't figure something out. Telling them that they should acquire a book, go to class, and take notes is not my idea of tutoring.

Oh well. B)

The APR information that the North Texas compliance office submitted to the NCAA for the fall semester is the highest score ever posted by the Mean Green football team since the inception of the APR in 2003. If the team is able to repeat its academic performance this spring, North Texas would have one of the largest one-year improvements in the APR among all college football programs.

That is interesting as the APR only shows the number of players that are still with the team and the players that are not making grades. So all 18 players that left in the last year were in good standing?