Unt 2009 Season

NCMeanGreen

I have extended this thread to include the rest of the Men's Basketball Season. Going dooowwwnnnn..... :(

What the heck has happened to NT sports!???

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

TWO WORDS

Rick Villarreal

Bad thing about Tune was he let several team members know he was gone.

Now he had a change of heart because of the lack of depth and experience at the position. We need a JUCO QB bad, someone with college experience who is extremely durable.

If Riley is the starting QB and leads us to wins, his teammates will support him; same for Nathan.

As for Tune leaving, some who have posted on this board that they were leaving it come back and are accepted, sometimes praised, by other board members. The story of the Prodigal Son is considered by some to be the most beautiful in the Bible.

Oh, my prediction? 4-8; no particular reason, but Dodge said when he was hired that it would take 3 years to turn things around, and DD's last season had 3 wins, I believe. If Dodge is so loyal to his assistants, as many have said, he will start looking at what might work to win games, rather than what might work in his system.

Edited by eulessismore

Guest GrayEagleOne

Anyone who can pridict the record for this coming season is a true psychic or just plain lucky. Alabama appears to be the only 100% guaranteed loss, although Troy is not far from that. At the other end of the spectrum, there are ZERO sure wins.

Right now, I see one more win from offensive numbers, one less loss by the defense and one less losss by the special teams. Add that to the win that we had last year and that comes out 4-8. But, that is based on everyone staying healthy and improvement in defensive line and special teams coaching. The optimist in me says that all areas, including the coaching, will improve but the realist says how can you immediately turn around a team that lost it's top quarterback, receivers, and punter? If the unknown is exciting to you, prepare for an enjoyable season.

Anyone who can pridict the record for this coming season is a true psychic or just plain lucky. Alabama appears to be the only 100% guaranteed loss, although Troy is not far from that. At the other end of the spectrum, there are ZERO sure wins.

Right now, I see one more win from offensive numbers, one less loss by the defense and one less losss by the special teams. Add that to the win that we had last year and that comes out 4-8. But, that is based on everyone staying healthy and improvement in defensive line and special teams coaching. The optimist in me says that all areas, including the coaching, will improve but the realist says how can you immediately turn around a team that lost it's top quarterback, receivers, and punter? If the unknown is exciting to you, prepare for an enjoyable season.

Isn't that just about always the case with North Texas football?

If we go four and eight like many people have stated, should Dodge get another year?

Without looking closely at the schedule, I felt like he would have to win five and be competitive in some of the losses for him to keep his job.

What do y'all think?

If they get Atkinson and maybe one more, UNT should get at least 4 wins. ULL lost several key players. I think the Belt might be down some.

Army is a sure win. ULL is a win. Ball State lost its QB, great time to catch them early. I see a big win against Ball State.

Not to be negative, but, REALLY? WKU is not even a sure win. There are no sure wins on this schedule and Ball St. will be ugly. We lost our starting QB and biggest playmaker on offense. REALLY?

I need some of what your drinking.

To me, there is not one single game on the schedule that is a sure-win.

Not being pessimistic, not trying to kick the dog while its down, and not saying I know something you don't, but I haven't seen ANYTHING that would lead me to believe this year will be better.

The best you can argue is that everyone is better "with another year of experience," but, man, I must have been hearing that once every year i've been following the program. But what about our new QB? Defection, suspension, or graduation of your best receivers? Piecemeal offensive line? Paper-thin defensive line? Swiss-cheese secondary? Awful special teams? Questionable playcalling? Lack of halftime adjustments? No team leadership?

Do any of these sound like hallmarks of an improved team? I would say we would be worse, but I can't bring myself to call for an 0-fer season for my team. We might squeak one out, but, for the life of me, i can't tell you which one. We aren't arguing whether 6 or 7 wins counts for something, like we had the luxury of during our Sun Belt dominance. We're starting to question if you can salvage anything meaningful from three wins in two years.

I admire the guys who truly believe we have a shot at a 4+ win season. I hope with every fiber of my being that you are right. But an ill wind is blowing here, and, if I had to bet my own hard earned money, I'm not calling for more than a win or two in 09.

Not being pessimistic, not trying to kick the dog while its down, and not saying I know something you don't, but I haven't seen ANYTHING that would lead me to believe this year will be better.

The best you can argue is that everyone is better "with another year of experience," but, man, I must have been hearing that once every year i've been following the program. But what about our new QB? Defection, suspension, or graduation of your best receivers? Piecemeal offensive line? Paper-thin defensive line? Swiss-cheese secondary? Awful special teams? Questionable playcalling? Lack of halftime adjustments? No team leadership?

Do any of these sound like hallmarks of an improved team? I would say we would be worse, but I can't bring myself to call for an 0-fer season for my team. We might squeak one out, but, for the life of me, i can't tell you which one. We aren't arguing whether 6 or 7 wins counts for something, like we had the luxury of during our Sun Belt dominance. We're starting to question if you can salvage anything meaningful from three wins in two years.

I admire the guys who truly believe we have a shot at a 4+ win season. I hope with every fiber of my being that you are right. But an ill wind is blowing here, and, if I had to bet my own hard earned money, I'm not calling for more than a win or two in 09.

Somebody find a mod. This naysayer must be burned!*

*You turned me into a newt!

Completely agree. I see 1-2 wins in 2009--at the most. (WKU and an upset--maybe Army??) I think this will be the end of the road and we get to start all over again, which bums me out because I like TD and think he is a terrific family man. It just appears that TD and UNT are not a good fit together. All of which leads to this question: Knowing how stellar our leadership has been in hiring football coaches in the last 30 years, who on here thinks that we will get the next hire anywhere close to being right? We haven't gotten the right guy here since Corky Nelson in 1982--and we fired him in 1990 to bring in Dennis Parker/Matt Simon/Darrell Dickey/Todd Dodge over the last 17 years. And we wonder why we have no support--with these "terrific" hires, who would have ever guessed that we cared more for music than football?

Good things are happening for coaches getting passed over by UNT!!

I think this season hinges entirely on our ability to establish the run as a viable threat and the coaches willingness to stay committed to it. Our defense was bad last year, but our offense and special teams really put them into terrible situations with turnovers and giving up big plays. I think that Riley will instantly be a dual threat type QB that we have really not had in TD's first 2 seasons. It sounds like the JUCO QB they are also going after is that type of player as well.

Our oline will be better this season on experience alone, and once you add in the newcomers and returnees (Drake, Jenkins+Tomlinson) this could be the makings of a very good unit. We are deep at RB with playmaker style RBs and Micah brings a grind it out capability. I really hope that TD and TF focus on giving this area enough reps during games to keep defenses from just thinking pass only.

All bets are off on our defense, though.....without a stud DT emerging, I don't see this side of the ball improving enough for us to have a better than .500 season.

I'd say 4 wins would be disappointing, but acceptable considering the last 4 seasons. Is that enough for TD to get another year? No idea....I think that mostly hinges on what ticket sales do this season. If we have a dramatic drop off in season ticket sales going into the season, then I'd say TD needs to have a .500 or better year. If sales remain relatively strong then he gets more leniency. Just my .02.

Is that enough for TD to get another year? No idea....I think that mostly hinges on what ticket sales do this season. If we have a dramatic drop off in season ticket sales going into the season, then I'd say TD needs to have a .500 or better year. If sales remain relatively strong then he gets more leniency. Just my .02.

Excellent point. I am certain that there will be a drop-off in season ticket sales, but not sure how dramatic. I expect some degree of "voting with their wallets" based on the last two seasons.

Excellent point. I am certain that there will be a drop-off in season ticket sales, but not sure how dramatic. I expect some degree of "voting with their wallets" based on the last two seasons.

Bad performance + Horrible economy = reduction in season ticket sales