Tailgate Anyone?

oldguystudent

It has been asked of me if perhaps we should do a basketball tailgate. Looking at the calendar, it appears that Feb 7 or 21 would be the most likely dates to do so. I'm still unclear as to whether such a thing is allowed or not, so first things first. If anyone knows if it's legal to tailgate for basketball, could you let me know?

Now on to the reality of the situation. Both games are 7pm starts in February. This means ultimately tailgating in the dark and perhaps the cold. Those who saw me with the BBQ lit at 7AM on a cold November morning should know I'm down with it, but I wonder how the rest of you feel about it.

I actually already tried to start this "tradition" several seasons ago. A few things:

1)It's very much legal and easiest to do in the Fouts parking lot

2)You will be stared at by people/students walking by...since basketball doesn't get near the press a group of people cooking in the parking lot attracts funny looks

3)It is very, very, cold on some days during basketball season...especially when you are out there freezing pretty much alone. :lol:

4)If you do it on a Saturday, count me in.

Im done... send me a PM whenever you decide on the date, im always up for tailgating

bad example: me and my friends when I was an undergrad a few years back tailgated at the tennis courts parking spaces after a UNT womens volleyball game, we never even went inside to the game, ha ha yeah....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

• 5 weeks later...

A reminder. The tailgate is on this coming Saturday for the UALR game. Final regular season home game. Here's your opportunity to be an ambassador for the program. Bring a friend to the game!

ETA -- Forecast has a high of 62 and sunny. If that holds up, it's gonna' be great weather for this.

Edited by oldguystudent

Don't forget to come early this Saturday. We'll start cooking early enough that you can catch both games. And we may have some UALR fans stopping by to say hello and mooch.

I'll still be happy even if nobody but oldguystudent and me shows up. But I'm hoping the turnout will be a little higher than that.

Time to be an ambassador for the program. Bring out some first timers and hang in the parking lot before the game. Then go into the pit and watch UNT beat a very good UALR team.

ETA -- Wow. That was a redundant post on my part, wasn't it? Anyhoo, I'm thinking of doing wings and banana bread, and am toying with tacos (just in case the parking police don't like BBQs on non-football days).

Edited by oldguystudent

I'll be there whenever oldguystudent can make it. I'm free all day, he has to work, so I was just going to roll with his schedule. If he's in at 3:00, I'll be there then, too. Should time out perfectly to get set up, cook, eat, and clean up without missing too much of the first game.

I'll have hamburgers for 8, some chips, water... the usual stuff I bring to every tailgate, because I don't know how to cook and grilling burgers is pretty much the most sophisticated food preparation I can handle.

If I bring some Brauts can I throw them on the grill? I'm assuming this is in the Blue or Orange lot across from the Pit?

Also, I assume that you will be the only group tailgating, but is there something that will mark the location? A flag, perhaps?

Edited by UNT90

If I bring some Brauts can I throw them on the grill? I'm assuming this is in the Blue or Orange lot across from the Pit?

Also, I assume that you will be the only group tailgating, but is there something that will mark the location? A flag, perhaps?

Absolutely, bring whatever you want. If I have time to work out a flagpole solution, I'll hoist my Greek North Texas flag.

What diet are you doing to lose 8 pounds in a week?

accually im just lowering my calorie intake to 1,800 instead of the 2,500-3,000 i use to eat every day, i only have 1 soda a day now, and drink a crap load of water. also do some from of walking/exercise for 20 min a day. its working!

accually im just lowering my calorie intake to 1,800 instead of the 2,500-3,000 i use to eat every day, i only have 1 soda a day now, and drink a crap load of water. also do some from of walking/exercise for 20 min a day. its working!

It is amazing how much you can lose when you cut out things like cokes, sugar and most of the bad stuff we eat, then add some exercise and water to the diet. Congrats and keep up the good work.

So, why wouldn't that allow you to eat tailgate food; high calorie by definition? Wouldn't feel right just washing it down with water? Maybe some of us could join in on that 20 minutes of exercise. I propose that some of it involve walking up and down the stairs around the Super Pit.

Don't forget to come early this Saturday. We'll start cooking early enough that you can catch both games. And we may have some UALR fans stopping by to say hello and mooch.

I'll still be happy even if nobody but oldguystudent and me shows up. But I'm hoping the turnout will be a little higher than that.

I'll be there champ!

So, why wouldn't that allow you to eat tailgate food; high calorie by definition? Wouldn't feel right just washing it down with water? Maybe some of us could join in on that 20 minutes of exercise. I propose that some of it involve walking up and down the stairs around the Super Pit.

i could eat it...i just dont have much money to bring food, and dont want to eat other people's food...lol