A Blurb In Today's Fw Paper

SUMG

In today's FW paper, it was noted that the Athletic Director offered no resistance to Dodge's plan to bring back all his assistants. It did say that some of them may be shuffled around.

Eveything is hunky dory in Mean Green land.

Edited by SUMG

it is a good move on RVs & TDs part.

Im reluctantly of the same mindset. I find these past two years to be completely unacceptable, however I also realize in our situation we really don't have much of a choice. Anyone else catch the MAC Champ game last night? Said Ball State endured 4 losing seasons before having a winning season. Blah blah blah, at least they were competitive, I know. Even so.

Im reluctantly of the same mindset. I find these past two years to be completely unacceptable, however I also realize in our situation we really don't have much of a choice. Anyone else catch the MAC Champ game last night? Said Ball State endured 4 losing seasons before having a winning season. Blah blah blah, at least they were competitive, I know. Even so.

There is always another choice. UNT chose not to make another choice. To say there is no other path is so................North Texas

There is always another choice. UNT chose not to make another choice. To say there is no other path is so................North Texas

Ok, let me rephrase that... I don't think there is a wiser choice to make given our situation (which you apparently aren't familiar with). You fire Todd Dodge after 2 years, nevermind the PR hit, who would you hire and with what money?

I'd like to fire Dodge and bring in Urban Meyer (he's proven he can win at non-BCS schools too), but you know that isn't really an option. Of course, that's like so North Texas of me to say...

Fact is, anyone else you bring in that we can afford is a huge gamble. Why not give the Dodge experiment one more year, see if we can turn things around? What's one more year? If we have more WKU and Ark State games, it could be worth it. If not, oh well.

And for the record, I was never really all that excited about the Dodge hire in the first place (which you can feel free to search the archives for confirmation). Obviously that hasn't changed. Im just using common sense.

Edited by Eagle1855

Ok, let me rephrase that... I don't think there is a wiser choice to make given our situation (which you apparently aren't familiar with). You fire Todd Dodge after 2 years, nevermind the PR hit, who would you hire and with what money?

I'd like to fire Dodge and bring in Urban Meyer (he's proven he can win at non-BCS schools too), but you know that isn't really an option. Of course, that's like so North Texas of me to say...

Fact is, anyone else you bring in that we can afford is a huge gamble. Why not give the Dodge experiment one more year, see if we can turn things around? What's one more year? If we have more WKU and Ark State games, it could be worth it. If not, oh well.

And for the record, I was never really all that excited about the Dodge hire in the first place (which you can feel free to search the archives for confirmation). Obviously that hasn't changed. Im just using common sense.

You bring in the next UP AND COMING URBAN MEYER.

Remember that Coach Fran started out as HC of his alma mater, Pittsburg State (D-III at the time).

You do a psychological profile of coaches who have turned struggling systems around....or better still, gave life to a program that never really had any life. You identify a group of potential candidates, and bring them in for interviews. You present them with a series of questions that reflect the CHALLENGES OF OUR PROGRAM AND IT'S CULTURE. And you hire the one that....

A. came up with the most realistic answers, and

B. REALLY, REALLY WANTS THE JOB!

Folks, I don't mind us being a career stepping stone for coaches, as long as the people doing the hiring keep hiring the guys on their way up who fit our program. After a couple of coaches get HIRED AWAY FROM US, we SHOULD have enough fan interest, and funds, to keep the next successful coach around for a while.

It's not rocket science people.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'll let you know next year whether I'm pleased with this 'announcement' or not. If some reassignments are done maybe this can be an adequate coaching staff. Personally, I don't think so. I think that it needs two or three replacements. But that's just me. No one is allowed close enough to the practices to make a judgment on the ability of a coach. All we can see or the game day results and they haven't been beautiful.

The only coaching change that I'm hell-bent on is Special Teams Coach. Someone with a new perspective and attitude has to be tried there.

Dodge's future and North Texas near future hinge on this being the right selection of coaches. There is a lot at stake and I hope that he (Dodge) knows what he's doing.

from OldTimer's post:

pay raise would be ok with me......look at our recruits in the TD era.....better than anything I have ever seen:

OT's post:

Saying we can't commit against big name schools.......are you joking?........Look at our 08 class

In 07 we won only 2 games yet in Feb 08 recruiting we had signed LOI from recruits over the following big time schools:

Lance Dunbar chose Nt over offers from AzST, Georgia Tech, Kansas, Virginia, OK ST,Colorado and Missouri

Troy Franklin chose Nt over offers from Tulsa and Colorado state

Willie Taylor chose Nt over offers from A$M and Tulsa

Desmond Brigham chose Nt over offers from Arkansas, Missouri and A$M

Coleman Feeley chose NT over offers from Baylor, UH, Rice, SMU and UTEP

Kylee Hill chose Nt over offers Tulsa and Northern,

James Hamilton chose NT over offers from SMU, UTEP, Tulsa, Kentucky and New Mexico State

John Shorter chose NT over offers from SMU, TCU, Iowa State and Tulsa

DeWaylon Cook decommited from SMU and chose Nt over offers from TCU, KST, Utah and West Virginia

Justin Edwards chose Nt over offer from SMU, TT, TCU, KS, Tulsa and Ole Miss

ADryan chose Nt over overs from Tulsa, Kansas, KSt, OkST and A$M

Jeremy Phillips chose NT over offers from Rice, Baylor, Duke and Army

I didn't count Riley Dodge (with 5 offers) because of his relationship with his father.

If I remember correctly we had a higher rated recruiting crop over SMU and TCU according to the experts in 08.

Our 09 recruits include one Anthony Charles a 3* JC LB over offers from Kansas, Kansas State, Fresno State and South Florida

In 09 we are recruiting DT (the hardest position to recruit because the big schools stock pile them (with 9 or 10 DT's on their squad) ...see separate post on this...) against the biggest name schools around..and are still in the running for several of those...I believe we will have a good recruiting season once it is over...despite our two year record.

________________________________________-

Evidently, TD and Co. have something to sell for this struggling program, is getting quality recruits and seems that some of you are oblivious.

NT has an excellent coaching staff.....just read their bios on the NT website.

NT still has the youngest if not one of the youngest teams in D-1.

If some of you want to get rid of TD & Co. then start scrapping up your $$ and buy out his contract and hire a multi million dollar coach on a muli-year contract.

If you want to compare TD and the NT program compare him, first, with the rest of the SBC schools then, secondly, with the rest of the mid-majors and their subsequent programs..........but............by all means you can not logically compare NT with any BCS program. If you start comparing NT with anything other than the first two qualifers then ya'll need to stop grazing on mushrooms along the side of the road and get back to reality.

OldTimer...........excellent post.

Edited by eulesseagle

You bring in the next UP AND COMING URBAN MEYER.

And that's what the majority of people on this board thought Dodge would be. Well, so far he isn't.

I find it HILARIOUS everyone was all over Dodge's jock when UNT hired him and now, just 2 years into the "experiment", everyone is acting like they are - once again - the experts with the right answers as to what RV should do.

So yeah, fire Dodge. Then bring in some other "offensive genius" that can "excite the fan base." And if it doesn't go well after a year or two, we can always fire him and bring in another one. This is UNT. We have a winning tradition to uphold and the money and alumni support to ensure that happens.

We had four other assistants, all 3-4 star rated with experience, lined up to come in but they took offers from other programs. We offered immediate coaching time, no redshirting too. SE Okla St., Alcorn, McMurry, and that startup Lamar all offered them better job security in the short term. :rolleyes:

And that's what the majority of people on this board thought Dodge would be. Well, so far he isn't.

I find it HILARIOUS everyone was all over Dodge's jock when UNT hired him and now, just 2 years into the "experiment", everyone is acting like they are - once again - the experts with the right answers as to what RV should do.

So yeah, fire Dodge. Then bring in some other "offensive genius" that can "excite the fan base." And if it doesn't go well after a year or two, we can always fire him and bring in another one. This is UNT. We have a winning tradition to uphold and the money and alumni support to ensure that happens.

The topic of this thread is about Dodge wanting to retain all of his assistants. Only you, are turning it into a Fire Dodge thread. It's about his assistants.

for those who want to compare NT to other BCS programs and want to imulate these programs then get ready to ante up "umteen thousands of dollars to "reserve" your season seat (singular) then get ready to pay another umteen thousands of dollars for your season ticket.

for those who want to compare NT to other BCS programs then start lining up hundreds if not thousands of "annual" $300k+ donors to the athletic dept..

dudes.....NT is in the SBC.....a realatively poor stepchild of a conference compared to other programs when it comes to $$$. If you would like I will be available to hit anyone over the head with a 2 by 4 to wake you up out of whatever fanticy land you are in.

BTW.....please don't think because you can beat Ohio State, Texas or Oklahoma, for the national championship, on your X-Box or Madden 2008 that this is reality.

I'll let you know next year whether I'm pleased with this 'announcement' or not. If some reassignments are done maybe this can be an adequate coaching staff. Personally, I don't think so. I think that it needs two or three replacements. But that's just me. No one is allowed close enough to the practices to make a judgment on the ability of a coach. All we can see or the game day results and they haven't been beautiful.

The only coaching change that I'm hell-bent on is Special Teams Coach. Someone with a new perspective and attitude has to be tried there.

Dodge's future and North Texas near future hinge on this being the right selection of coaches. There is a lot at stake and I hope that he (Dodge) knows what he's doing.

I agree with you on this. However, I think Dodge is so hell-bent on keeping all his assistants that the best option would be the creation of a new position, someone who ONLY coaches special teams. That way, rather than this being considered a dreaded coaching CHANGE, it could be considered a coaching ADDITION.

I don't know if anyone felt the same as me when we scored right before halftime of the Arky State game, taking a LEAD, and had a sinking feeling that we would give up a touchdown just before half to lose that lead by giving up a big special teams play. That seems like what happened.

Edited by eulessismore

I agree with you on this. However, I think Dodge is so hell-bent on keeping all his assistants that the best option would be the creation of a new position, someone who ONLY coaches special teams. That way, rather than this being considered a dreaded coaching CHANGE, it could be considered a coaching ADDITION.

I don't know if anyone felt the same as me when we scored right before halftime of the Arky State game, taking a LEAD, and had a sinking feeling that we would give up a touchdown just before half to lose that lead by giving up a big special teams play. That seems like what happened.

Well according to his Radio show on monday night, he pointed out how the ST were doing better by virtue of the fake punt run in the ASU game.

I don't see a problem keeping our coaching staff as is until next year. Anyone who saw the last home game this year would know that our defense is playing much better than last year. Special teams is still a problem, but has improved. Our return men our better as well as our coverage team. We need Jeremy Knott to either get the ball up or shorten his extra point form from 3 steps to 1 or 2. Another problem we had on special teams was Christian Davidson's injury, Kokjohn and Gilmore filled in fairly well but there were still some issues.

I say leave things alone for a year, give the team and coaches another year to gel. Stability is a good thing, especially now that we have a stadium to sell, and our highest rated recruit in some time ready to play a full redshirt freshman season.

Anyone who saw the last home game this year would know that our defense is playing much better than last year.

No, it is not. Yes, the defense, and really everybody, played a pretty good game in that last game. But we have a whole season to reflect on. Don't forget, that in the two weeks leading up to ASU, we lost to FAU 13-46 (a game we should have won in '07) and to MUTS 13-52.

The NT defefence is getting better as CR1028 posted. Only those who read the box scores and the articles in the paper (vito et al.) can only be poisoned by their biased opinion.

IMHO, the last several games showed a vast improvement of play and the team coming together.....the ASU game was a great game (O & D), despite the cold.

eulessismore, if you would like to see a newly created special teams only coach.....where is NT going to get the money????"bailout $ from congress??