A Detailed Look At Where Unt Stands In Recruiting

Brett Vito

Can Vito make this sound just a little bit more negative. Personally, I wanted to quit reading about half the way through becuase all I could see was negativism. All in all, for what it's worth, took this hit, lost this, backed off, blah blah blah......

I thought it was a pretty good article myself. I like Vito since he likes to give the truth without all of the sugar coating.

He is the NT beat writer he knows more about the program than alot of other people.

He is just stating the facts, it hurts, but it is the truth in reference to where this program is headed.

Where is this program headed in your estimation?

Can Vito make this sound just a little bit more negative. Personally, I wanted to quit reading about half the way through becuase all I could see was negativism. All in all, for what it's worth, took this hit, lost this, backed off, blah blah blah......

the truth is pretty painful.

I know that some of the problems are self-inflicted. But, our football program has had some real crappy luck the last couple of years also.

If we don't have the scholarships available early for JUCO's, then we will have to rely on the high schools to rebuild the roster. That obviously means an even longer recovery for this program.

Dodge must be pulling his hair out right now. The poor guy needs something good to happen to his program and soon.

If the JUCO players are willing to sign here, but cannot because of the scholarship problems, is that really Dodge's fault ? Wasn't the scholoraship issue due mostly to the previous staff and general bad luck ? Should that not be factored in if next years turnaround is only very slight ?

It just might take 4 years for us to know if this thing is going to start turning around.

Edited by akriesman

I thought it was a very fair article. Where do you see the negativity? Other than the facts of what is going on...I doubt Vito fabricated what Dodge had told JUCO players about the lack of scholarships

Where is this program headed in your estimation?

I think the 1-11 record, the blowout losses, and the recuits not seeing any improvement in Dodge's second rebuilding year as major factors in their decisions. Especially the ones that are torn between our school and say another regional foe.

I personally think that the quality and impact recruits we will be seeking will turn to another school because of those factors I listed above, I dont see us continuing to get the HS recruits who always wanted to play for Todd Dodge in HS here at UNT.

I think JUCO's will be huge just because they can get in here and make a difference fast and have some experience. I disappointed that some of them have changed their minds or decided to not look at UNT whatsoever and that reason is based on what I feel is in alot of recruits mind when they see our football program.

I still can't get the Rice game out of my head, when thinking about the 2008 season, surely a recruit hasn't either.

We should be able to land some decent playmakers at DT and DE---based SOLELY on the obvious need we have and the prospects for IMMEDIATE playing time. There is no other school that is in as bad a shape as we are. I cannot understand the difficulty here and I still think we'll pull in a decent haul in Feb. despite alot of doom and gloom being spoken on the board.

We see what we want to see.

Bean [offensive tackle]said that UNT's coaches told him that they couldn't take him at the semester break. He would have to sign with UNT in February and enroll in school over the summer.

"They told me that their APR score is messed up and they had to sign defensive linemen and secondary guys for sure to come in at semester," Bean said.

This is an interesting approach. Apparently the coaches see the need for JUCO players to come in and make a difference next year, but only on the D-line and in the secondary.

This is an interesting approach. Apparently the coaches see the need for JUCO players to come in and make a difference next year, but only on the D-line and in the secondary.

Dodge has to be in bunker-mode now at 3-21. He has to find playmakers ASAP (think JUCO) and doesn't have the luxury of waiting 2-4 years for players to develop. UNT needs help immediately to have any chance of not tanking for a third year. BTW Toledo, Utah St., and Tennessee just hired new coaches this week.

Edited by NT80

I support them 100% in that strategy...just wish they would have come to that conclusion sooner.