It Is Time To Begin The Next Coach Discussion

shaft

Our athletic department would be good at this point without either one. Lonnie is not way off base, but rather on.

Well that's compelling. I especially like the way you offer no warrant, data, or really any sort of an argument to support your claim.

So I'll ask what about the Master Plan or new stadium don't you like?

While there were questions about the Dodge hire, there was a clear upside had it panned out. Sadly the high school experiment is not working and its time to begin looking for the next coach.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's compelling. I especially like the way you offer no warrant, data, or really any sort of an argument to support your claim.

So I'll ask what about the Master Plan or new stadium don't you like?

While there were questions about the Dodge hire, there was a clear upside had it panned out. Sadly the high school experiment is not working and its time to begin looking for the next coach.

Look I completely agree that Dodge is in over his head, but consider this: Our AD went out and brings in a High School coach, then tells the man, you can interview any of the old staff, but I don't want any of them here next year. So, TD goes out and brings in virtually all his guys. Why did RV tell him that? That defense last year would have been worlds better along with this year if he could have kept some of those guys around.

As for the stadium - why is it, that with PLENTY of alumni out there with boat loads of cash, RV has only been able to raise some 6 million since he got here for the new stadium? Seriously? I know of a donor with over 50 million that as of 3 years ago had not recieved one call from RV about money for a new stadium.

He gets a stadium built and we get a coach in here that has some idea of what he is doing, I will eat my words. If we go 0-12, I don't think Dodge comes back next year, but I don't think RV will make the change.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

CRAZY TALK. The new green is WAY better. Many schools have that dark green as their color. Our green is original and I like it. Although, I would to see Kelly Green helmets with the current uniform.

Agree; the new Green is better. I'd also like solid Green helmets instead of white.

Pssst. Maybe some of you have heard the news; the students passed the stadium vote.

The Doom and Gloom attitude about RV and the Stadium just seems misplaced.

I really don't understand how someone can fault an AD to designing and executing a Master Plan that brings the school a new stadium, and makes coaching hire that energizes the fan base.

The Dodge hire had a tremendous upside. Exciting "young" coach, locally known, requested by the fan base, great recruiting connections. But there were two big questions about the guy; 1. Can he really recruit, 2.) Can he get college level assistants.

The problem with the Dodge era has been concern number 2. His assistant hires have been suspect at best, and he will probably never be able to overcome those early picks.

Dodge is behind the Eight Ball to get this team to .500 next season.

It has been tough enough to recruit outstanding players for various reasons. Now let's do all we can to boost that attitude by continueing to bash and degrade our players. Then on top of that discussing replacing the coaching staff. Both, of these things make recruiting a much more difficult job.

CRAZY TALK. The new green is WAY better. Many schools have that dark green as their color. Our green is original and I like it. Although, I would to see Kelly Green helmets with the current uniform.

i could live with the current uniform if NT went with a KG helmet. Put some metal flakes in it for sparkle and it would look pretty nice, IMO.

I am for this 100%. I still won't buy the new color. I am holding out hope we will change back. Not only does this team play like a high school team, we look like one. I still can't believe how close we look to SLC.

I did notice that Mark Barrows was not able to get any change in how the team showed up to the stadium saturday as it was reported to me that they walked in, in all black again. I guess they are trying to tell us that they are going to their funral ever saturday.

Guys, it just wont happen. TD didnt invent that color, TD didnt bring it to UNT. Sure he maybe have had some input on the DESIGN of the uniform. It's all part of the re-branding that UNT did some time back. Dont just look at the football uniforms. Go to www.unt.edu, go to meangreensports.com. click on link after link after link. The toolbars, banners, graphics, EVERYTHING is pretty much now Kelly Green. Not to mention all of the printed literature, business cards, signage, etc. UNT is NOT going to make keep that Kelly Green color on everthing and change the football uniform back to dark green because we've had a crappy team and we're all sad. MARKETING DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT. And given the money UNT has spent in re-branding, they wont go back and change EVERYTHING to a new color.

Edited by trud1966

Look I completely agree that Dodge is in over his head, but consider this: Our AD went out and brings in a High School coach, then tells the man, you can interview any of the old staff, but I don't want any of them here next year. So, TD goes out and brings in virtually all his guys. Why did RV tell him that? That defense last year would have been worlds better along with this year if he could have kept some of those guys around.

As for the stadium - why is it, that with PLENTY of alumni out there with boat loads of cash, RV has only been able to raise some 6 million since he got here for the new stadium? Seriously? I know of a donor with over 50 million that as of 3 years ago had not recieved one call from RV about money for a new stadium.

He gets a stadium built and we get a coach in here that has some idea of what he is doing, I will eat my words. If we go 0-12, I don't think Dodge comes back next year, but I don't think RV will make the change.

There is a lot of money on sthe sidelines for this stadium...you just don't know about it.....and TD just would not leave if he goes 0-12...absolutely the worse thing he could do for HIS future.

Guys, it just wont happen. TD didnt invent that color, TD didnt bring it to UNT. Sure he maybe have had some input on the DESIGN of the uniform. It's all part of the re-branding that UNT did some time back. Dont just look at the football uniforms. Go to www.unt.edu, go to meangreensports.com. click on link after link after link. The toolbars, banners, graphics, EVERYTHING is pretty much now Kelly Green. Not to mention all of the printed literature, business cards, signage, etc. UNT is NOT going to make keep that Kelly Green color on everthing and change the football uniform back to dark green because we've had a crappy team and we're all sad. MARKETING DOESNT WORK LIKE THAT. And given the money UNT has spent in re-branding, they wont go back and change EVERYTHING to a new color.

Actually I suppose the team could pretty much wear a dark green uniform if they chose to. They wear all black whenever they go out in PUBLIC and to the stadium, so I don't know what would stop them from wearing the darker green if they wanted to.

There is a lot of money on sthe sidelines for this stadium...you just don't know about it.....and TD just would not leave if he goes 0-12...absolutely the worse thing he could do for HIS future.

Oh, you read too much into my words....I said I didn't think RV would be the one to make the change, but there are others who can make it.

Agree; the new Green is better. I'd also like solid Green helmets instead of white.

Guys, the Kelly Green is a far better color. It is a much more striking and alive color in person and on TV. It is also of limited use in college football, (I don't think any college currently uses it). Just try to find some of it out there. The manufacturers are not making it because there isn't much demand. There just isn't much Kelly Green to be found, (not even from meangreengear.com) My point is, if we want a good color and one that will be quickly recognized as Mean Green, we have it. I believe this decision was a huge branding success. The old green is pretty but it is OLD and we have to let it go. Let the Philly boys (and others) have it for themselves.

GO MEAN GREEN!!

I sure miss Plum and his effective color coding!