Nt To Play In The Snake Pit

Keith7

A return to the former rowdy home of North Texas basketball, the Snake Pit, now known as the Ken Bahnsen Center, and matchups against ten 20-win teams highlight the 2008-09 Mean Green men’s basketball schedule.

Coming off back-to-back 20-win seasons, this year’s slate could be head coach Johnny Jones’ toughest yet. The Mean Green faces off against five teams that played in the postseason last year and play seven games against squads that finished inside the RPI top 100.

"We are very excited about our upcoming season," Jones said. "We have a demanding and challenging schedule, but one that our fans will enjoy and one that our players and staff embrace. Opening the season at the Snake Pit will give our die hard fans a look back at the history of this program. We look forward to the challenges that this schedule presents."

Known then as the Snake Pit, the Ken Bahnsen Center was the home of North Texas basketball from 1950-73 and was the site of numerous milestones and remarkable moments. Those 23 seasons saw four Gulf Coast Conference championships and some of the nation’s premier athletes in the talent-laden Missouri Valley Conference. One of the game’s greatest players, Oscar Robertson, scored his career-high of 62 points for Cincinnati in the Snake Pit on Feb. 22, 1960, which still ranks 13th in NCAA history in single-game scoring.

Basketball will return to the Ken Bahnsen Center with the Mean Green season opener against Cameron in a throw-back era game on Nov. 14.

I already used up my one trip per year back with my family reunion earlier this month. I don't think I could afford another jaunt back to the homeland.

Here's the full schedule.

Wed, Nov 12 Texas A&M-International (Exhib.) The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Fri, Nov 14 Cameron The Snake Pit TBA

Mon, Nov 17 Oklahoma State at Stillwater, OK 7 p.m.

Thu, Nov 20 Sam Houston State at Huntsville, TX 7 p.m.

Sun, Nov 23 Indiana State at Terre Haute, IN 2 p.m.

Wed, Nov 26 Jackson State The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Nov 29 Houston at Houston, TX 7 p.m.

Wed, Dec 03 Sam Houston State The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Dec 06 New Mexico State Denton, TX 7 p.m.

Mon, Dec 15 Houston Baptist The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Thu, Dec 18 Louisiana-Lafayette * at Lafayette, LA 7 p.m.

Mon, Dec 22 New Orleans * at New Orleans, LA 7 p.m.

Mon, Dec 29 UT Arlington The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Wed, Dec 31 Middle Tennessee * The Super Pit 4 p.m.

Sat, Jan 03 Arkansas at Little Rock, AR (Alltel Arena) 2 p.m.

Thu, Jan 08 Arkansas-Little Rock * at Little Rock, AR 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 10 Arkansas State * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Thu, Jan 15 Denver * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 17 Florida Atlantic * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Thu, Jan 22 Florida International * at Miami, FL 6 p.m.

Thu, Jan 29 Troy * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Jan 31 Western Kentucky * at Bowling Green, KY 7 p.m.

Thu, Feb 05 South Alabama * at Mobile, AL 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 07 Louisiana-Lafayette * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Thu, Feb 12 New Orleans * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 14 Middle Tennessee * at Murfreesboro, TN 7 p.m.

Thu, Feb 19 Louisiana-Monroe * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Sat, Feb 21 Arkansas-Little Rock * The Super Pit 7 p.m.

Thu, Feb 26 Arkansas State * at Jonesboro, AR 7 p.m.

Sun, Mar 01 Denver * at Denver, CO 1 p.m.

This appears to be a more competitive/challenging schedule than last year, particulary because we play alot OOC games on the road. In fact, for the month of November we only have 1 home game (not counting the exhibition). We typically start very strong so I hope that continues with this schedule. We only play WKU and USA 1x, both on their court. Those will be key games. I think we take on every version of Arkansas with games against Arkansas, Arkansas-Little Rock, and Arkansas State right in a row. This should be a fun season. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pit Crew get ready!

I believe they have wooden bleachers, similar to what you would see in a high school gym

It has pull-out newer wooden bleachers at floor level and old, permanent wooden bleachers fixed in an upper level from like the movie "Hoosiers" era. I attended part of a HS dance competition, held there and the SuperPit, this past spring. The old gym has horrible accoustics and echos which is what makes it so loud. It will only seat probably 2000, but it will be loud...and uncomfortable.

Edited by NT80

It has pull-out newer wooden bleachers at floor level and old, permanent wooden bleachers fixed in an upper level from like the movie "Hoosiers" era. I attended part of a HS dance competition, held there and the SuperPit, this past spring. The old gym has horrible accoustics and echos which is what makes it so loud. It will only seat probably 2000, but it will be loud...and uncomfortable.

Perfect game atmosphere!

Tell me again why I want to go to a noisy high school gym with wooden pull out bleachers that holds only 2000? A good turn out from the Pit Crew will eat up almost half of that. I know this nostalgic for some, but otherwise I'm not sure what motivated them to do this. Maybe the were trying to give the team a "road game" (somewhere other than the Super Pit) to get them ready for the intense early road play??

Edited by chrisfisher

This is not the first "return trip" to the Snake Pit, but it should be fun. I will tell you that those wooden bleacher seats are tough on "fannies", but thecrowd and noise will be great!!!!! I recall times when the building was actually shaking from all the noise in the "Pit"!!!

And, how about celebrating New Year's eve "early" with a win over MTS starting at 4PM on New Year's Eve???? Should be fun...and, you guys from Dallas can still make the tip off IF you plan now! No excuses...be there for the New Year's Eve win!!!!

[quote name='Keith7' date='Sep 23 2008, 01:59 PM' post='374340

Known then as the Snake Pit, the Ken Bahnsen Center was the home of North Texas basketball from 1950-73 and was the site of numerous milestones and remarkable moments. Those 23 seasons saw four Gulf Coast Conference championships and some of the nation’s premier athletes in the talent-laden Missouri Valley Conference. One of the game’s greatest players, Oscar Robertson, scored his career-high of 62 points for Cincinnati in the Snake Pit on Feb. 22, 1960, which still ranks 13th in NCAA history in single-game scoring.

I'll be there. But I'm not buying the notion that the move to the Ken Bahnsen "Men's Gym" is "a walk down memory lane." There must be something else going on at the Coliseum.

I guess I saw my first college game there as well. NT used to have dances at Men's Gym and I heard a lot of bands that came through Denton Back in the 60s.

I put up a really good banner when NT hosted Louisville one year. It was so creative, I won a trip to the Dean of Men's office. Is there still a "Dean of Men ?"

If you're going to the game at the old Snake Pit, you'd better get there early. I don't think it seats as many today as it did back in the 60s.

GO MEAN GREEN

If it sounds like it used to, I would not bring babies or noise sensitive children. I have a vivid memory of small girl running towards the exit with her hands covering her ears.

It was so loud the scoreboard horn could not be heard. The timekeeper fired a pistol to signify the end of the half and the game.