First Game

Dodge2007

All those questioning TD should just sit down and chill. I went last minute and I am glad I saw what I saw.

K-State had horses on the line of scrimmage we just couldn't handle, be it Mendoza or DeLoach. Defensively, the TE hurt us. Freeman had some pressure where he had to get out of the pocket maybe once and we were bringing blitzes like crazy. The heat from the blitz schemes l liked but K-state just did a tremendous job picking us apart through the air. We had a true freshman that started in the secondary and they went right at him. When corners have a lot of tackles, what does that tell you?

LB's played fairly well but they ran it down our throats which made the play action and passes to the TE so successful. Not sure we put a helmet on Freeman and he was playing pitch and catch. They scored if memory serves me correctly, on some very successful long drives. K-state had one short field, on the opening punt return. Mendoza would have been cruixified so thank goodness their is none of that this year. Deloach D is going to be good. That is what I take out of this game. The Defense couldn't stop their first team at all, BUT they made some impressive plays and were just more physical with their size.

Kickoff return and kickoff coverage, same song different verse. We missed my adopted player (Jackson) on KO returns because he runs fearless and full speed everytime to touches the ball. We had several punts just missed from being blocked and now we are missing our deep snapper. UNT is in a injury funk.

Offense ran the ball some which I take as a positive. The running game was successful on first downs when they were bringing heat and the score was out of hand. The defense pinned back their ears and put pressure on us whenever they wanted too. They really didn't blitz the first half but covered our WR's like glue. Our WR coach has to teach Roberson how to run routes like the other three starters. If you watch him closely, he can't touch Dibrell or Casey in his ability to run precision routes. OL did a nice job and was a improvement. QB made better decisions but had a few high throws but in all fairness had at least 4 sure drops for first downs. The entire offense just never got in sync. K-state had very good DB play, they tackled extremely well after the catch. I think TD has to run the ball for us to be successful and he made it a point to do so. I give him credit for the run and for the running formations to keep our opponents honest.

Edited by Dodge2007

Thanks for the write up and generaly positive review considering the outcome. i look forward to the offense really coming together during the Tulsa game, i think are d-fense is much improved even though 45 points makes it sound much worse...i look forward to both parts fully gelling and giving tulsa all they can handle....the RB's sounded like they were good....gotta get better on ST. im still up beat and drinking the Green Kool-aid.....GMG!

Hey, thanks for the writeup, Dodge2007. that's the kind of stuff I needed to hear. I don't remember where I read how well known K-State is for their secondary, but you seem to be validating that. I really think we can get better on ST and O-line play throughtout the season. Well, I'm off, first to save my Gustav storm surge model for the color-blind (mainly myself), then to church.

All those questioning TD should just sit down and chill. I went last minute and I am glad I saw what I saw.

K-State had horses on the line of scrimmage we just couldn't handle, be it Mendoza or DeLoach. Defensively, the TE hurt us. Freeman had some pressure where he had to get out of the pocket maybe once and we were bringing blitzes like crazy. The heat from the blitz schemes l liked but K-state just did a tremendous job picking us apart through the air. We had a true freshman that started in the secondary and they went right at him. When corners have a lot of tackles, what does that tell you?

LB's played fairly well but they ran it down our throats which made the play action and passes to the TE so successful. Not sure we put a helmet on Freeman and he was playing pitch and catch. They scored if memory serves me correctly, on some very successful long drives. K-state had one short field, on the opening punt return. Mendoza would have been cruixified so thank goodness their is none of that this year. Deloach D is going to be good. That is what I take out of this game. The Defense couldn't stop their first team at all, BUT they made some impressive plays and were just more physical with their size.

Kickoff return and kickoff coverage, same song different verse. We missed my adopted player (Jackson) on KO returns because he runs fearless and full speed everytime to touches the ball. We had several punts just missed from being blocked and now we are missing our deep snapper. UNT is in a injury funk.

Offense ran the ball some which I take as a positive. The running game was successful on first downs when they were bringing heat and the score was out of hand. The defense pinned back their ears and put pressure on us whenever they wanted too. They really didn't blitz the first half but covered our WR's like glue. Our WR coach has to teach Roberson how to run routes like the other three starters. If you watch him closely, he can't touch Dibrell or Casey in his ability to run precision routes. OL did a nice job and was a improvement. QB made better decisions but had a few high throws but in all fairness had at least 4 sure drops for first downs. The entire offense just never got in sync. K-state had very good DB play, they tackled extremely well after the catch. I think TD has to run the ball for us to be successful and he made it a point to do so. I give him credit for the run and for the running formations to keep our opponents honest.

Absolutely agree with you that some sort of running game is a must. I'm ready to see a lot more of Cam.

Just to confirm what I think I am hearing....

Do we now have an I or Goalline Formation in the mix?

Thanks for the write up Dodge2007. I look forward to hearing from others who actually got eyes on rather than the knee jerk reactions from people with unrealistic expectations that don't know what they are talking about.

Edited by MeanMag

Tough loss, but, in reality, UNT really did not match up with K-State. Yes, would like to have seen the score a bit closer...but it is better than last year's opener against OU. Just don't get crazy about this. If you do, you will really "lose it" when UNT plays LSU. That one may not be pretty at all...but, I still hold to 5 wins this sason and I'd be OK with 4. Lot's of work to do. I watched OSU play Wash. St. on TV yesterday afternoon and the announcers kept talking about how Gundy FINALLY has his team together after FINALLY being able to redshirt a class or two. It takes time, folks, to bring a program back from the "almost dead" state which is what UNT was the last couple of years under Dickey. Dodge is the one I am worried about getting down on himself. I doubt that he will, but everyone needs to hold the line, keep the faith and remember what *UNT is trying to do. And for those who don't know what that is...IT IS TO GET BETTER. NOT..get better over night! Can't be done. Way too far to go. Remember, UNT was once in the same conference with Tulsa and was on even par or even ahead of their program. I would have to say (shudder I dare to do it) that the Tulsa program is a good bit ahead of ours at the moment. So, hang in there and chill...defense did look and play better and that is a real good thing. Lots to work on and I ma sure Dodge and his staff are already doing just that.

See you at Fouts for next sat.'s game vs Tulsa...be there...EVERYONE. Let's fill the place and get the season going. GREAT FUN ahead!

GO MEAN GREEN...FILL FOUTS FIELD ON SEPT. 6th!!!!!

I look forward to a day when being glad w/ what we see in a performance translates to keeping it within 20 points...

Hang in there, it will come, it is just going to take some time. DeLoach adds a couple of coaches at the end of this season, along with recruiting and next year will be better. Just don't get real down if Tulsa and Rice are bad games, because it is very well possible.

Also what was exciting to me was how many reps so many players got on defense. We played a lot of players who have not seen a lot of action. We tried to keep our DL and LB's fresh and saw some good things from some young inexperienced college players. To me, young is a sophomore or freshman. I would be shocked to know how many sophomores and freshman played significant minutes.

This team is making strides. We didn't make some plays on either side of the ball that we will in the next few games. I really expect the defense to get better against Tulsa and I think the offense is going to click both on the ground and threw the air. I like what Dodge is trying to do on offense.

I liked the composure of the offense (even though they didn't make some plays). This offense is going to be a good one. You could see last night some positives for sure. K-state is the same team that held UT to 217 yards passing (on almost twice as many throwing attempts and had 4 interceptions against the Longhorns. They also limited Texas to 117 yards on the ground. AND THE GAME WAS IN AUSTIN.

Chill. You could tell their was no panic in Deloach or Dodge and their leadership is being shown in their players.

Gundy finally has his team together at Oklahoma State because of redshirting? Give me a break. He inherited a roster full of Les Miles' recruits. He had plenty when he got there. He's just under achieved.

In fact, Gundy was Miles offensive coordinator there before Miles went on to LSU and the national title. So, it's not like Gundy came there out of nowhere with a downtrodden team full of crappy recruits. He had helped recruit the team and they were already in his offensive system when he was promoted to head coach.

Gundy finally has his team together...what a freaking joke. Todd Dodge's situation in no way compares to Gundy's. Give Dodge, or any of the other 119 DI-A college coaches, what Miles left Gundy and they wouldn't have underachieved.

Absurd. Gundy is just a prime example of a guy who is a great coordinator/assistant but in way over his head as the head coach.

I think TD has to run the ball for us to be successful and he made it a point to do so. I don't call 6 points successful. I am glad DeLoach is on board, but this is hardly a performance to be happy about.

To add on to what D2007 said about the subbing... We were shuttling defensive front 7 players on and off on almost every play. Not only does it give more guys experience on the field... But one thing I haven't yet read elsewhere (still getting caught up) is how well this subbing philosophy seems to be helping Ike Thomas.

When I noticed someone breaking through and really putting heat on Freeman or Coffman, it was usually Thomas. On one play, he would have smeared Freeman all over the turf, but he bit on a very good fake handoff. And Thomas played at his best in the 2nd half, which is very encouraging considering his history of conditioning and stamina.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Booger or anything... But if Thomas can break through against K-State as consistently as he did, I'm very eager to see how he performs against our C-USA and Sun Belt opponents.

Absurd. Gundy is just a prime example of a guy who is a great coordinator/assistant but in way over his head as the head coach.

He's a MAN! He's FORTY! Sorry, I had to.

I think TD has to run the ball for us to be successful and he made it a point to do so. I don't call 6 points successful. I am glad DeLoach is on board, but this is hardly a performance to be happy about.

True, but it's not one to be totally down about, either. It's good to have some positives to make it easier to swallow. Just a spoonful of DeLoaching helps loosinnnngg go dowwwnnn....

Remember UT beat us what, 27-0 that one year, but we shut them out in the 2nd half...another one not to be happy about, but it, too, came with small victories. UAB put up how many yards on Tulsa and lost? We played a much tougher team...with the right breaks in the game, I can definitely see us taking out asluT, and I don't mean to the movies. Though we COULD slip them some roofies...

To add on to what D2007 said about the subbing... We were shuttling defensive front 7 players on and off on almost every play. Not only does it give more guys experience on the field... But one thing I haven't yet read elsewhere (still getting caught up) is how well this subbing philosophy seems to be helping Ike Thomas.

When I noticed someone breaking through and really putting heat on Freeman or Coffman, it was usually Thomas. On one play, he would have smeared Freeman all over the turf, but he bit on a very good fake handoff. And Thomas played at his best in the 2nd half, which is very encouraging considering his history of conditioning and stamina.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of Booger or anything... But if Thomas can break through against K-State as consistently as he did, I'm very eager to see how he performs against our C-USA and Sun Belt opponents.

I too noticed Ike getting a good push inside and chasing people all over the place from sideline to sideline. Seem's he's finally healthy enough to play at his best.

Rick