Gilmore's Gone

Harry

I hate this news.

I have no idea why he's out, but since grades have been a problem for him in the past...one wonders if that's the reason.

Besides losing one of our better defenders....this kind of stuff comes back to haunt us the next time we get our damn APR score.

It has been pointed out to me that there is a person in charge of both Compliance and Academics for our student athletes. I think is time we are told why these student are having such a hard time, and Cinnamon Sheffield may need to be the one to answer those questions. It seems her record of late has not been too dazzling, if the blame lies with her maybe it time to find someone from UNT to fill her position. Somebody needs to take responsibility and get this thing figured out.

Associate Athletic Director - Student Services

Or Maybe

Daryl Simpson

Assistant AD/Compliance

Like I said someone is not getting the job done, is anyone in the AD from UNT.

Edited by KingDL1

Man that blows, what a pain.

Has UNT suddenly got harder?

What does this do to the APR Score?

I don't know if its "gotten harder," but in my time at UNT 02-07 I had plenty of classes with football players and I can assure you (from what I saw) it was a cakewalk.

I hate this news.

I have no idea why he's out, but since grades have been a problem for him in the past...one wonders if that's the reason.

Besides losing one of our better defenders....this kind of stuff comes back to haunt us the next time we get our damn APR score.

Have to agree - this news is not good since he is one of our better defenders and it really hurts for our future APR score.

Damn it Eddie... it figures. Guess we get to see if all of those publications were right about Marquis Sykes? This kind of thing happens for various reasons each year, and it really makes you wonder what could have been? Just a few names come to mind who could have really helped us somewhere.

QB Kellen Haynes... left us after his sophmore year with no grooming by NT Staff (Grew to 6-2, 215lbs AFTER being ignored by Ramone Flannigan's spectacular tuteledge)

RB Michael Ruff... (4.3 speedster who couldnt be caught by anyone on the football field, but apparently couldnt get past the initial level of academic qualifications.)

DT "Big Cat" T.J. Raymond...(often took three offensive linemen to block him. Dominated scrimmages and practices, but could not pass his classes)

LB Art McNac... (6-0, 260 lbs and a tremendous hitter... just never got it)

QB Joey Byerly...(A big mother of a QB and lots of arm strength... just had the brain of a pop-tart)

OT Robert Peachey..(a very talented OL who just didnt want to be here. Not sure what could have been done to help him, just know we honestly missed on a class act and great talent)

OL Adjani Banks..(at 6-3, 325, he could really have helped our OL issues last season. Ask Giovanni how much better he could have been had he not spent so much time on his back?)

I know we all have several names that come to mind, but it just kills me every year when we find out about things like this. I know every university has these issues...

It just sucks that it happens... I'm out.

GMG!!! :angry:

Was it not right about this time last year that we signed Evyn Roman? I ask b/c I imagine there is still a lower level JUCO defensive end or two still available to be a stop gap for Gilmore. I certainly don't expect to find a real talent at this point, just someone with some actual game experience...I think Sykes will be good by the end of the season, but neither he, nor Brown, nor Russo, nor Davenport have any college real game experience...and I just think Owusu-Heming is just too small.

Is it worth the scholarship?

curious why all the venom towards the AD Academic Staff, they should not have to hold the hand of 105 18-22 y.o football players and make sure they go to class one would think having the chance to play D1 football and get a free education would be enough and it is for the most part.

Gilmore will be missed but he just joins a long list of players who chose not to get it done (Byerly, Ruff, et al).

I hate to hear this. Geez- We were all counting on Gilmore. At least he got a nice photo in

DCTF. Now, it is the time for the coaches to earn their money. Who will be the starting DE?

Ther are young guns at DE. Like Russo, Sykes, and others, so it is time for these guys

to step it up. You got to start somewhere. If I were one of these players, I see opportunity!

We have Horton, who is a stud DE, to build the DL around, so not all is hopeless. I am sure

the coaches saw the situation with Gilmore long ago, and have plans in place just in case

Gilmore had to leave. Finding a quality JUCO DE at this point in the season will be mission

immpossible, so I bet the defensive coaches will let the current roster DE candidates

battle it out. There are several good DE candidates on the team now. I would not be

suprised to see Charley Brown move over to DE, or even Drayland Ross who orginally

was a DE. Davenport is quick, fast, and strong- I think he could be a very good W-DE.

Russo was a SLC star at DE, and Krider was moved from DE to DT. Both could play

into the mix. Not all DE's are 6-5, 265. Many are 6-1, 245, with quickness and pass

coverage skills. The era of the spread offense has defensive coaches changing their

defensive approach, by using smaller, quicker DE's that can cover the open flats. I

think our current DE roster guys can fit in this new defensive approach against the

spread offense. Like I said, now is the time for good coaches and coaching skills

to step up. North Texas has good coaches, so let the coaches do their job. The DE

position will be fun to watch, see how it develops, and which player will earn the

starting position in the fall.

Yes, it may indeed hurt bad - or - one could say this will give someone else the opportunity to rise and shine! Back in our run of 4 New Orleans Bowls, optimism (some would say cockiness) ruled the day - might not be bad to at least look at the "silver lining" sometimes...especially since not a game has been lost on this news yet!

Coaches should always have a contengency plan for just such an event. If it hadn't been grades, then Gilmore might have blown out his knee the first week of practice. What would have happened then?

Coaches should always have a group of players that are able to step up when the team needs them. It's called character, and I'll take that over raw talent just about any day.

We're just about to find out how much character this team really has.

Edited by SilverEagle

curious why all the venom towards the AD Academic Staff, they should not have to hold the hand of 105 18-22 y.o football players and make sure they go to class one would think having the chance to play D1 football and get a free education would be enough and it is for the most part.

Gilmore will be missed but he just joins a long list of players who chose not to get it done (Byerly, Ruff, et al).

Do you remember the Low Score the NCAA gave us on the APR and the five scholarships we lost? The problem is the University spends a considerable amount of resources both money and time on recruiting these young men. We have personal in place in the AD Academic Staff that are supposed to watch out for these young athletes, especially the ones with grade problems, not all these athletes mature at the same rate. The AD has a responsibility to watch over the investment we have in our athletes, we surly can not afford to have such a low APR score again. In a perfect world they should not have to hold the hands of these young athletes, but in a perfect world we would not need the NCAA to make academic standards like the APR.

I talked to Vito during Spring practice and he told me there was a strong possibility Gilmore wouldn't be back for the Fall. I had my fingers crossed that he would take care of his bussiness this Summer, but he wasn't able to get it done. I'm not mad at Gilmore. Maybe he can get back for his Sr year. If not, I just hope he is able to finish his degree and have a successful life.

This is a terrible hit for the team, but I figure, if Vito knew about the situation, then so did the coaches, and they must have some kind of back up plan. I don't think we have another guy that can step up and deliver at the same level Gilmore did, but I pray I'm wrong.

Is it too late to bring in another Juco DE?

Damn it Eddie... it figures. Guess we get to see if all of those publications were right about Marquis Sykes? This kind of thing happens for various reasons each year, and it really makes you wonder what could have been? Just a few names come to mind who could have really helped us somewhere.

QB Kellen Haynes... left us after his sophmore year with no grooming by NT Staff (Grew to 6-2, 215lbs AFTER being ignored by Ramone Flannigan's spectacular tuteledge)

RB Michael Ruff... (4.3 speedster who couldnt be caught by anyone on the football field, but apparently couldnt get past the initial level of academic qualifications.)

DT "Big Cat" T.J. Raymond...(often took three offensive linemen to block him. Dominated scrimmages and practices, but could not pass his classes)

LB Art McNac... (6-0, 260 lbs and a tremendous hitter... just never got it)

QB Joey Byerly...(A big mother of a QB and lots of arm strength... just had the brain of a pop-tart)

OT Robert Peachey..(a very talented OL who just didnt want to be here. Not sure what could have been done to help him, just know we honestly missed on a class act and great talent)

OL Adjani Banks..(at 6-3, 325, he could really have helped our OL issues last season. Ask Giovanni how much better he could have been had he not spent so much time on his back?)

I know we all have several names that come to mind, but it just kills me every year when we find out about things like this. I know every university has these issues...

It just sucks that it happens... I'm out.

GMG!!! :angry:

No pass. No play. I don't feel sorry for him or any of these other guys. It is COLLEGE football. The COLLEGE part comes before the football part. If you don't like it, I hear there is a professional team in Dallas.

What sucks is that UNT, because of its lower place in the world of college football, has to take more chances on questionable academic/character guys to compete. Let's face it, the only reason Gilmore is not in the Big 12 is because of his grades in high school and his low qualifying score. UNT took a chance on Gilmore. He proved his talent was for real. He also proved he is unable to successfully handle college coursework. The Gilmore gamble failed, others have panned out (Jonas Buckles), but not enough. UNT is in a Catch-22 regarding this APR stuff. We have to take recruits like Gilmore to compete, but when those guys bomb out academically we are punished by the NCAA with a reduction in scholarships. Sucks.