West Texas Observations

NM Green

Went on a jaunt to El Paso, White Sands over the weekend and listened to the local sports show on the drive back. Apparently a report came out about NMSU's sagging attendance. Apparently the Aggies are struggling to meet their 15K goal and are staring a drop of football in the face. Now I know those reports always get overblown, especially when minor fan comes out of the woodwork to rag on the southern new mexico program up the road. But what was more interesting to me was the fact that the WAC honeymoon appears to be over. Even with the hiring of Hal Mumme, a change of style, and an invitation to their dream conference they are not making the numbers. One caller pointed out that they have had good program draws like Cal, Army and a strong Tulsa roll through Las Cruces and the question posed was "Why does NMSU have so much trouble drawing 15k people to the stadium?" Aggie fan didn't have an answer other than winning needs to happen for things to change.

It made me think of UNT. A dream conference does not guarantee a solid program. We want want and keep on lusting after CUSA, but if we are simply relying on the conference to take care of our issues we are asking for a huge smelling salt. If we rely on our football stadium plan to rectify our issues, we are in for a big smelling salt. We need to get hungry as a fanbase again and drum up attendance at every turn, recruit friends, family and strangers to our big opener in September - really set ourselves up for an attendance success in 2008. Hopefully Todd and Co will take care of their business, and our AD and Crew do their part as well and if the stars align we could be in for a treat in a few short months!

beat ksu

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One other thing...It still seems weird having UTEP in CUSA. They are way the heck out there and I just see them having a heck of a lot more in common with the western programs. Sure their billboard highlights their big home game with Texas, has an SMU, Rice and Tulane helmet in the back drop, but it still seems strange. Can't imagine they would have trouble drawing in 35K - 40K with Fresno, Hawaii, Boise and NMSU coming into their house. UAB, Marshall, ECU, UCF, Southern Miss are nice programs but have so little in common with the Miners. Its kind of like TCU in the Mountain West - good conference, just weird alignment. Don't even get me going on those bulldogs due east from us and their bizarre alignment choice!

GMG

I would love to put them on our schedule in football and in basketball on more of a regular basis.

I know we play a UNM in baseball quite a bit. If (and when) we move up, I would not mind playing those teams. I think they would draw better in San Marcos than Florida International or Eastern Carolina.

UTEP is doing fine right now. WIth the addition of Price a few years ago and the 6 - 7 wins/year he brings with him it was like a breathe of fresh air to the program. There sits a program out there that desperately wants to hang with the best the region has to offer. Despite a late-season identity crisis for the past 3 years, we have several good things to hang our hats on for attendance:

NMSU. Can't overstate how much these programs hate each other.

UNM. kinda like NMSU-hate2, this completes a regional trifecta that we should model ourselves after with SMU/TCU.

Houston and Tulsa have blossomed into WONDERFUL rivalries. The games are amazingly close, and CUSA West bragging rights are usually on the line.

Interesting to think that the other teams mentioned (UAB, USM, etc) hit Minerdome a little bit closer to home on the hardwood. It's going to take some titles on the football field to get some momentum going for increasing interest in the East teams. Still...they will draw about 35 - 40K depending on what part of the season they come to EP.

NMSU/UNM will sell out (about 54K, for the Sun Bowl, I think)...and 12K for the bball.

I think UTEP will always be sort of an anamoly that works out in their favor: no local NBA/NFL/NHL teams to steal interest and money. A culture that really takes to traditions (not that North Texans don't), and a rich history in basketball. Conference affiliation doesn't weight so much on their hearts so long as they get to beat it up every year with the regionals, and bring in the UT's of the world to EP every now and then for their fair shot (FYI, a couple of fantastic games against TTech, Houston, and Tulsa recently...and they get the Horns this year in September in EP).

I know some of you don't really care to read some of my Miner-rants, but I've always looked to them and realized how great they have it, and much UNT has been robbed.

I'm not as antsy as a lot of you are about the stadium, but it really hurts me to see UNT struggling to get there. I take a little comfort that I am lucky to be young enough that I'll probably see it in my lifetime...and I always dream of seeing a sold out Pit one day. We have no limits, IMO. I just treasure the day we get "over the hump".

Some of my generation needs to chill out and realize there are people on this board that have been waiting for FIFTY YEARS to get over that hump, and seen us get robbed several times along the way.

Check out the crowd shots shown from the 1:05 mark to the end. I think we'll get there...one day!

mk_eXm2dhNA

Edited by greenminer

Can anyone imagine the video montage you could put together for the pre-game of a NMSU home tilt?

I'd have to include the nasty-wicked hit a NT defender laid on a NMSU WR. I think it was Buckles that nearly took the head off that poor WR going over the middle?

I miss those days ...

/sigh

I'd have to include the nasty-wicked hit a NT defender laid on a NMSU WR. I think it was Buckles that nearly took the head off that poor WR going over the middle?

I miss those days ...

/sigh

Good memories. Nice to know that the man who was at the healm back then is here for another go-round. Those were special players too, but I think with Dodge's classes there is potential to be much deeper across the board than that 2002 unit.

Time will tell.

Good memories. Nice to know that the man who was at the healm back then is here for another go-round. Those were special players too, but I think with Dodge's classes there is potential to be much deeper across the board than that 2002 unit.

Time will tell.

You're not lying. That was some of the most exciting football I have ever watched. I cannot wait until Deloach gets this defense back to that level.

Guest GrayEagleOne

When NMSU longed to be in the WAC both New Mexico and UTEP were in the conference. By the time that they got in both were gone. If both were still in the WAC, New Mexico State wouldn't be having an attendance problem. But Bernie is right, we can't rely on a conference alone to assure that there will be smooth sailing with attendance. However, if we are a part of a league that has teams of interest to our student body and alumni then I don't think that we'll ever have to worry about meeting the minimum attendance requirements unless they are raised substantially.

I think you are absolutely right that winning is more important to attendance than conference affiliation. NMSU had better attendance in the Sun Belt than we have had in the WAC, mainly because we have really struggled since joining the WAC. 0-12, 4-8, 4-9 doesn't do much for attendance (and it wasn't all that great before). I don't think our casual fan knows the difference between Utah State and ULM (though they certainly know the difference between UTEP or UNM and anybody).

I think though that conference affiliation is a much bigger factor in recruiting, and that eventually the affiliation with the WAC will pay big dividends for NMSU. We are clearly more athletic than we were 3 years ago. Not sure we are a better team - but no question we have upgraded athletes since joining the WAC.

And - NMSU's attendance will be much better in 2008. Just having 6 home games (and none on ESPN) instead of 7 will help. Those after-Thanksgiving games when you have a lousy record are attendance killers.

Good luck in 2008.