Summer Conditioning

Green59

Any idea how many players were there?

Most of the team was there this morning. There are two summer sessions with each one lasting a month five days a week. All players are expected to be present for at least one of the monthly sessions. Today's workout was very intense with some of the players throwing up during or after the running.

Any idea how many players were there?

That's even more important than what they were doing. The aura is off at 2-10 and ending with a loss to hapless FIU makes this past season even that much worse. Now we see who really wants to play when the expectations are considerably lowered. I hope for 5 wins, but only see three at most which is just the same old same old of the last three years.

That's even more important than what they were doing. The aura is off at 2-10 and ending with a loss to hapless FIU makes this past season even that much worse. Now we see who really wants to play when the expectations are considerably lowered. I hope for 5 wins, but only see three at most which is just the same old same old of the last three years.

Only three?????? lets be optimistic folks. I hope for 7 but I think we will have 5-6 wins.

Summer workouts mean football is getting close, at least closer. Good sign that the players are busting their butts. Not sure why the entire team is not all together when most players are working out the entire summer. All for one, one for all??

You have to believe the seniors and leaders of the team are all participating. I just don't understand optional team workouts at this level, unless I don't understand something (which in my case, is very likely).

You have to believe the seniors and leaders of the team are all participating. I just don't understand optional team workouts at this level, unless I don't understand something (which in my case, is very likely).

In accordance with NCAA rules summer conditioning CAN'T be mandatory. Most of the players participating in summer workout are going to summer school. That doesn't mean they have grade problems but want to get ahead with their scolastice load and carry a lighter load during season. Those going to summer school receive a scholarship stipen. Not eveyone participating in summer conditioning is going to summer school. Those not going to summer school don't get a stipen. Not everyone can afford to live in Denton for summer if they aren't living in the dorm.

In accordance with NCAA rules summer conditioning CAN'T be mandatory. Most of the players participating in summer workout are going to summer school. That doesn't mean they have grade problems but want to get ahead with their scolastice load and carry a lighter load during season. Those going to summer school receive a scholarship stipen. Not eveyone participating in summer conditioning is going to summer school. Those not going to summer school don't get a stipen. Not everyone can afford to live in Denton for summer if they aren't living in the dorm.

That's some useful insight; conditioning is essential; academic progress is absolutely essential.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption, but I would imagine that the players who do not live in Denton during the summer probably work very seriously on conditioning on their own elsewhere.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Someone correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption, but I would imagine that the players who do not live in Denton during the summer probably work very seriously on conditioning on their own elsewhere.

You are correct. The Strength & Conditioning Coach gives each athlete a program for the summer. It includes exercises and diet (primarily in number of calories). Some, if not all, are told to report at a certain weight.

Coaches cannot be present at workouts. Team leaders decide the type of drills. A lot cannot attend summer school due to summer jobs but as long as they follow their program, they'll be in good shape when they arrive. Let's hope that everyone follows their regimen as closely as possible. Anyone who reports out of shape might never catch up.

23 110's seem a little overkill and borderline torture, 99% of all track workout consist of less than 23 110's... an average play lasts less than 3 seconds, I think it would be more beneficial for the lineman to run 25 30yd dashes.

Edited by ipEAGLE

23 110's seem a little overkill and borderline torture, 99% of all track workout consist of less than 23 110's... an average play lasts less than 3 seconds, I think it would be more beneficial for the lineman to run 25 30yd dashes.

Theres no such thing as too much conditioning after a 2 win season. Also, I know alot of teams cycle between sprint days and endurance days; on sprint days players run short distances and work on their explosion and quickness while on endurance days running they work on their (take a guess) which is a neccessity when running 4 hours worth of 3-8 second plays.

Theres no such thing as too much conditioning after a 2 win season. Also, I know alot of teams cycle between sprint days and endurance days; on sprint days players run short distances and work on their explosion and quickness while on endurance days running they work on their (take a guess) which is a neccessity when running 4 hours worth of 3-8 second plays.

Even more essential when you run a no huddle.

Is that why the Southlake boys are not on campus or working out???

My point was that most kids want to go home for the summer and if they live in Houston, Austin or Oklahoma there is little chance of them making the workouts in Denton. I didn't know that they weren't there and I don't care either, if the biggest problem we have is 3 local players not showing up for for optional workouts, then we're in pretty good shape.

Do you have a problem with everyone from Southlake or just the players?

Edited by Green Crazy