Why Doesn't Jj Recruit This Young Man

UNTLifer

Hunter nabs academic all-state honors

Fred Hunter was selected to the TABC Academic All-State team, honoring his basketball and athletic achievements.

“I think it’s a tremendous accomplishment that shows that he didn’t put all his eggs in one basket,” basketball coach Harold Jackson said. “He excelled on the court and in the classroom.”

Hunter has a 3.6 GPA in his senior year, and he led the area in scoring with 22.2 points per game and ranked second in rebounds at 12.2 per game among Class 4A players. Hunter, who was a preseason McDonald’s All-American nominee, was not a first-team All-District 5-4A selection.

“I think any time a kid puts up his numbers, it’s very difficult for him not to be a first team or better all-district selection,” Jackson said. “Especially when the kid’s numbers were good enough to get him all region and all area DRC offensive player of the year, and he led the Metroplex in scoring and was No. 2 in rebounds. It was very difficult to comprehend how a young man with those kind of numbers was unable to reach first team.”

Hunter committed to played basketball at Highland Community College in Kansas, but Jackson said the senior is still keeping his options open for a Division I school. Nicholls State had an in-home visit with Hunter over the weekend.

Hunter nabs academic all-state honors

Fred Hunter was selected to the TABC Academic All-State team, honoring his basketball and athletic achievements.

“I think it’s a tremendous accomplishment that shows that he didn’t put all his eggs in one basket,” basketball coach Harold Jackson said. “He excelled on the court and in the classroom.”

Hunter has a 3.6 GPA in his senior year, and he led the area in scoring with 22.2 points per game and ranked second in rebounds at 12.2 per game among Class 4A players. Hunter, who was a preseason McDonald’s All-American nominee, was not a first-team All-District 5-4A selection.

“I think any time a kid puts up his numbers, it’s very difficult for him not to be a first team or better all-district selection,” Jackson said. “Especially when the kid’s numbers were good enough to get him all region and all area DRC offensive player of the year, and he led the Metroplex in scoring and was No. 2 in rebounds. It was very difficult to comprehend how a young man with those kind of numbers was unable to reach first team.”

Hunter committed to played basketball at Highland Community College in Kansas, but Jackson said the senior is still keeping his options open for a Division I school. Nicholls State had an in-home visit with Hunter over the weekend.

I have been asking myself this same question for the last two years. Good player, good grades, and seems to be a good person.

For some reason the really local kids don't get that much attention from UNT...maybe it's a two-way street...who knows...but, this kid is at least worth the effort to try...at least I think so...AND, maybe he has been contacted by UNT and re-buffed UNT's efforts. I recall when Kevin Henry was "all-everything" in Denton BB...Ryan grad...ended up going to NMex w/Dave Bliss and then following him to Baylor. No way, he would have looked at UNT even though he was in contact with UNT's coaches quite often and knew them well...my guess, he should have looked closer at UNT based on the way things ultimately worked out for him.

You may also recall that UNT, on the football side, got little "attention" from all the Ryan players in recent years....maybe with the rise of Dodge-Ball UNT will not only put a bigger effort into local recruiting, but some of the better Denton players will "take a shine" to staying home and playing for the Mean Green.

Maybe our new women's coach will look "close to home"...I'm just saying.....

"Why doesnt JJ recruite this young man?"

How do you know he didn't? - Maybe he did and the kid isn't interested in staying in Denton. A lot of kids look at college as an opportunity to get away from home. They may want to stay close but not THAT close

I don't know, but I would think he would jump at the chance to play for NT over Highland Community College or Nichols State. Then again, I could be wrong for the first time.

I recall when Kevin Henry was "all-everything" in Denton BB...Ryan grad...ended up going to NMex w/Dave Bliss and then following him to Baylor.

Not the best example. Kevin had his head so pumped up by those around him that lowering himself to play at NT was out of the question. Of course then he went on to prove to everyone what some of us in Denton already knew...big fish in small ponds don't swim so well when you put them out in the ocean.

Not the best example. Kevin had his head so pumped up by those around him that lowering himself to play at NT was out of the question. Of course then he went on to prove to everyone what some of us in Denton already knew...big fish in small ponds don't swim so well when you put them out in the ocean.

I had forgotten about Kevin. Wasn't his two choices UNT and New Mexico? For some reason I was thinking he really thought seriously about attending UNT.

By the way, we need another "police" story installment from you. Good stories.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999