Tramiel Commits

MCMLXXX

"And be sure to check back on the blog later when I will have more on UNT's search for a new women's basketball coach."

From the sounds of things, perhaps we now know who the new women's bball coach is?

I noticed that Ronnie Morgan's son plays at Paris JC after his first year at La Tech where he played very little. Apparently he is not being very heavily recruited, if at all. Good thing we did not sign him as a freshman.

I'd take Ronnie Jr in a heartbeat if it would land his younger brother J'Mison 'Bobo' Morgan on the Mean Green squad. Bobo has reportedly wavered on his LOI to LSU since the firing of the coaching staff that recruited him. LSU would surely let him out of his LOI commitment, and Bobo could petition the NCAA for instant eligibility because of the coaching change.

From the Kansas Jayhawks message board:

I've posted this before but apparently one of LSU's assistants (Butch Pierre) is very close to Morgan. If Trent Johnson brings in a whole new staff and does not retain Pierre Morgan will more than likely ask out of his LOI.

If he does I have heard that KU will be at the top of the list.

This is the rumor going around rivals, scout etc...

"Johnson said he has made no decisions about his coaching staff but is interested in retaining Butch Pierre, the assistant who took over as interim coach after John Brady was fired in early February."

It sounds like Kansas may be a logical choice of Bobo, but if Ronnie saw the opportunity for both his sons to get a scholarship at the program that he helped build....well, the situation may change.

Remember when SMU was able to sign Leonard Hopkins little brother Byron even though he was recruited by many national programs? SMU was able to do that by also signing Leonard and Byron's other brother that wasn't highly recruited.

J'Mison would not only start instantly at North Texas but would be a star. It would potentially be a faster track to the NBA than the Kansas route where he could sit for a year and then compete for playing time and scoring opportunities. Playing close to home, having his brother on the team, and having his family and friends in the stands would all just be bonuses.

Edited by ADLER

Remember when SMU was able to sign Leonard Hopkins little brother Byron even though he was recruited by many national programs? SMU was able to do that by also signing Leonard and Byron's other brother that wasn't highly recruited.

Ryan Hopkins was the less talented twin of Bryan...I believe he remained on scholarship for two seasons with the Ponies. I still debate whether or not Bryan wouldve been worth 2 scholarships as we had an inside track on him because of Leonard.

J'Mison would not only start instantly at North Texas but would be a star. It would potentially be a faster track to the NBA than the Kansas route where he could sit for a year and then compete for playing time and scoring opportunities. Playing close to home, having his brother on the team, and having his family and friends in the stands would all just be bonuses.

I keep seeing these Bobo to UNT ideas...and as homer as I am, I just don't think its feasible...of course I hope I'm wrong.

After back to back 20 win seasons, increasingly good recruiting and a trip to the NCAA tournament for the second time in NT's history (all with attendance that can be called "sparse" at best) can we now lay completely to rest the "JJ led teams underachieve and/or are ready to fold at any time" comments? Just wondering.

Well Emmitt, going on plenty of other school messageboards that I do - those seem to be complaints that 90% of all fanbases have at one point or another every season. There are always people with pitchforks out, there are always apologizers, and there are always fans somewhere in the middle.

Hell you shoulda been on the UNC boards after Kansas destroyed them. There were fans on there that wanted him to go back to KU because "obviously that's where his heart is". :lol:

Edited by CMJ

After back to back 20 win seasons, increasingly good recruiting and a trip to the NCAA tournament for the second time in NT's history (all with attendance that can be called "sparse" at best) can we now lay completely to rest the "JJ led teams underachieve and/or are ready to fold at any time" comments? Just wondering.

Remember when Dallas fans said that Dirk proved he was clutch when the team beat SA in game 7 and then when he dropped 50 on the Suns?

DFW is known for its consistent, non-knee-jerking sports fan base, so I think you are good.

I really want to get pumped over this signing..... but can anyone give me a definitive idea on how tall he really is??? I've been reading up on him and have found him to be anywhere from a 6'10 power forward to a 6'5 forward/guard combo. If he's 6"10 then I'm excited, if he's 6'7 or below I'm only slightly jovial. It seems he really does have some real ability, but all I'm looking for for next season is someone to ease the loss of Wooden.

I really want to get pumped over this signing..... but can anyone give me a definitive idea on how tall he really is??? I've been reading up on him and have found him to be anywhere from a 6'10 power forward to a 6'5 forward/guard combo. If he's 6"10 then I'm excited, if he's 6'7 or below I'm only slightly jovial. It seems he really does have some real ability, but all I'm looking for for next season is someone to ease the loss of Wooden.

I've seen him listed anywhere from 6'5 to 6'7 ; so let's just say 6'6

Well Charles Barkley led the NBA in rebounds at maybe 6'5. Ronnie Morgan, who played for NT had something like 15 rebounds against North Carolina in NT's first appearance in the NCAA tournament, was also probably 6'5 although listed much taller. Bigger maybe better, but how many JUCO first team All Americans has NT signed? With the guards returning next year, Tramiel could be the player that gets NT to the top of the conference.

Edited by GrandGreen

If he's 6"6, where does Vitto get of calling him a power forward?

This ain't the NBA. A strong six foot six (or seven) guy that can board, play D, and hit some shots in the paint sounds very good to me to go along with Odafuwa (sp?). We may be a little on the short side defensively on occasion next year if you don't consider an improving Justin Howerton (which some people don't), but I think we'll be OK with our overall size down low. It would be great for a six nine to seven foot transfer to appear out of nowhere here, but if he doesn't, we still have five experienced inside guys "listed" at six seven or better which shouldn't leave us in too bad of shape. You don't always have to have a bunch of giants out there to win.

If he's 6"6, where does Vitto get of calling him a power forward?

One of my favorite college players is the undersized, rugged power forward...he probably falls in line right behind the heady, white point guard. I remember watching Kent State make it to I believe the sweet sixteen with 6'5" Antonio Gates pulling down double digit boards.

That said...I still think overall we're still too small next season

Well Charles Barkley led the NBA in rebounds at maybe 6'5. Ronnie Morgan, who played for NT had something like 15 rebounds against North Carolina in NT's first appearance in the NCAA tournament, was also probably 6'5 although listed much taller. Bigger maybe better, but how many JUCO first team All Americans has NT signed? With the guards returning next year, Tramiel could be the player that gets NT to the top of the conference.

Not to mention...our own Kenneth Williams, was 6' 6"....when he lead the nation in rebounding. I think his average was 14.6 per game (it was 14 something).

So....rebounding is sometimes more about desire than height. And btw....there's nothing I hate more, than a really tall guy (6' 9" or above) who doesn't rebound well. That's the worst.

This is college guys, you don't need a 6'10" 250lb guy to play PF to succeed. Hell yeah it would be nice, but a solid 6'6" player can rebound and play on the low block with the best PF's in the nation if he's talented enough.

Great pickup buy NT!