Cusa Would Really Be A Step Up For Unt.......

MeanGreen61

Tech is doing well.

I just got an email from them looking for sponsors for the WAC baseball tournament they are hosting (never a good sign when you are still seeking sponsors this close to the event). I was floored by the offer when I got it because sponsoring the whole shooting match of three or four days is cheaper than sponsoring a single ASU home baseball game and you get a lot more for your money with the Tech deal.

How an event that is likely to fill the local hotels and restaurants for half a week isn't already fully sponsored has me scratching my head.

You can tout the prestige of who they play until you are green in the face, the bottom line is that in 2006 Tech hosted in-state Nichols State, Fresno, Nevada, Idaho and Utah State and outdrew only ULL, FAU, Idaho and Utah State. This past year they hosted Hawaii, Boise, Central Arkansas, NMSU, and San Jose and had the excitement of a new coach and barely outdrew MTSU, UNT and ASU.

Basketball barely outdrew UNT last year and was behind ASU, WKU, USA, and MT by a good bit.

Playing names isn't selling that well.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tech is doing well.

I just got an email from them looking for sponsors for the WAC baseball tournament they are hosting (never a good sign when you are still seeking sponsors this close to the event). I was floored by the offer when I got it because sponsoring the whole shooting match of three or four days is cheaper than sponsoring a single ASU home baseball game and you get a lot more for your money with the Tech deal.

How an event that is likely to fill the local hotels and restaurants for half a week isn't already fully sponsored has me scratching my head.

You can tout the prestige of who they play until you are green in the face, the bottom line is that in 2006 Tech hosted in-state Nichols State, Fresno, Nevada, Idaho and Utah State and outdrew only ULL, FAU, Idaho and Utah State. This past year they hosted Hawaii, Boise, Central Arkansas, NMSU, and San Jose and had the excitement of a new coach and barely outdrew MTSU, UNT and ASU.

Basketball barely outdrew UNT last year and was behind ASU, WKU, USA, and MT by a good bit.

Playing names isn't selling that well.

I will give you that but La Tech has been horrible in recent years in football. Not to mention its tough comparing Ruston to Denton and the DFW market. I think NT is a different animal in this case. And I honestly think that if Hawaii, or Boise State came to Denton to play then I would not be surprised if you just had you average casual football fan coming to those games.

It seems to me, that with the WAC, you are assuming that the current run of two teams will continue for the foreseeable future. What hapeens if Hawaii and Boise cannot maintain this level of play? If they fall off, the we would be stuck in a conference that has us traveling a lot and is no longer bringing in the fans for "major" opponents. I like a conference that has more regional opponents to avoid a negative cash flow situation. The Belt is good for now, and if CUSA came knocking, that would be fine too.

It seems to me, that with the WAC, you are assuming that the current run of two teams will continue for the foreseeable future. What hapeens if Hawaii and Boise cannot maintain this level of play? If they fall off, the we would be stuck in a conference that has us traveling a lot and is no longer bringing in the fans for "major" opponents. I like a conference that has more regional opponents to avoid a negative cash flow situation. The Belt is good for now, and if CUSA came knocking, that would be fine too.

You worry about that then...there are always conference changes and realignments and as NT continues to grow and improve athletics wise, there will always be conferences that will want us to join their conference. I think for the time being WAC is a better option. Of all the conferences I prefer the MWC over any conference including CUSA.

I can see why Evan avoids the boards during the off-season. This stuff is just brutal. Time for a change of direction....

"Let's go live now to Ollie Williams for a Sky-Copter traffic report...what's it like up there Ollie?"

"EVERYBODY LOOK LIKE ANTS!!!!"

"Thanks Ollie......."

GMG!!!

261046098_2e77aed0d0.jpg

Does anyone know if TxDOT is really going to relocate I35 closer to Fouts, or is that rumor?

they could just run it right up through the middle of that bitch, give Dentonites good seats for watching all the land thieves coming down for the the Red River Shootout, err Showdown, err Rivalry.

Edited by Eagle1855

Does anyone know if TxDOT is really going to relocate I35 closer to Fouts, or is that rumor?

According to RV, it's a rumor. The TxDOT project will affect Avenue D access and the entry to the campus. Armadillo and Fouts are actually safe. Glad the Armadillo is safe, Fouts is another story!

I know its opening up a can of worms but all I will say is other than the MAC any conference is an upgrade from the Sunbelt.

I would take the MAC in a heartbeat... The MAC has more bowl invites, better known teams, better t.v. exposure, and isnt a league that has worst stats than

a I-AA conference. WAC sucks but better opponents hands down...

I would prefer a conference alignment anyday over a new stadium, if you really think about it, we are not getting a new stadium...

1. Fouts got a new field, new bathrooms, and new facade...if a stadium was coming those wouldnt have happened to save money

2. Promises, commitments, and Timelines have all been broken by the Athletic Department

3. We lost President Norval Pohl, one of the greatest supporter of UNT Athletics in history, even better than some in the Athletic Department. <_<

We lost out BIG TIME when we got pushed aside for UTEP, I mean we were the better candidate, seriously, we were taking TCU's spot, they needed a metroplex team to compete with SMU and a big media market.

We lost out because we didnt have baseball, are you F**&*#% kidding me....

We are a University system with 35,000 students and over 110 years of traditions, FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM ALREADY!!!!

Edited by UNT_playmaker

I would take the MAC in a heartbeat... The MAC has more bowl invites, better known teams, better t.v. exposure, and isnt a league that has worst stats than

I would prefer a conference alignment anyday over a new stadium, if you really think about it, we are not getting a new stadium...

1. Fouts got a new field, new bathrooms, and new facade...if a stadium was coming those wouldnt have happened to save money

2. Promises, commitments, and Timelines have all been broken by the Athletic Department

3. We lost President Norval Pohl, one of the greatest supporter of UNT Athletics in history, even better than some in the Athletic Department. <_<

We lost out BIG TIME when we got pushed aside for UTEP, I mean we were the better candidate, seriously, we were taking TCU's spot, they needed a metroplex team to compete with SMU and a big media market.

We are a University system with 35,000 students and over 110 years of traditions, FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM ALREADY!!!!

Harry (or maybe that Cerebrus guy) had a great post once upon a time about how if rumors are repeated enough people think they are standard truths.

But, since this has been turned into a gag thread, I don't think we have to worry about it.

Yeah, by maintaining the status quo here year after year, I'm afraid that we are going to eventually be overtaken by some of our SBC brothers. Western Kentucky and South Bama with successful football programs could be the first to jump, and the two Florida's definitely have potential down the road to move up quickly. No easy answers here, so whatever we do is going to involve an element of risk. I say it's time to lean more toward being risk takers.

Can you identify the problem?

Those of you that claim to know anything about the MAC only know it because of Marshall's run in the 90's, and maybe some of the quasi-sensations we've seen since then. Still, none of them hold a candle to the successes and players the Herd enjoyed. About the only thing I can recall since then is Garrett Wolf and a couple of 1 or 2 year sensations that nobody gave a crap about. The MAC has lost momentum and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I'd love to stay in the Belt and grow with it more than move to the WAC right now, but if I had to choose, the WAC seems so much more stable (at least on top) than anything I've seen from the MAC.

Any opponent outside 300 miles should not be considered a rival nor potential conference mate unless in another conference division.

Those items are just general upkeep for any facility that still needs to be used until 2010.

No public timeline has ever been given. Costs of building goes up, economy slows, donations are harder to predict, and thus so is the timeframe...but they have started the process, hiring an architectural firm.

I've seen Dr. B at many different athletic events, similar to Dr. Pohl. BTW, is Chancellor Jackson still alive? Haven't seen him in forever at any athletic event.

UTEP is a member of the 50/40/10 club...50K seat football stadium, 40K average football attendance and 10K basketball. That is what bumped us out.

UTEP, Smut and Tulsa do not have baseball programs either.

answer: facilities, $$, and attendance

Edited by NT80

I will give you that but La Tech has been horrible in recent years in football. Not to mention its tough comparing Ruston to Denton and the DFW market. I think NT is a different animal in this case. And I honestly think that if Hawaii, or Boise State came to Denton to play then I would not be surprised if you just had you average casual football fan coming to those games.

Wrong.. The casual fans that you speek of are few and far between. They watch the game from the sofa. The impact of big name opponents has more to do with the number of fans that they bring. And neither Hawaii nor Boise travel that well to their own stadiums much less to others stadium. i would love to see ya'll in CUSA but there is nothing wrong with the direction that the belt is going in.