Scrimmage Notes, Etc.

flyeater

Sounds like Tune is making the most of this opportunity to show off his skills.....potential to unseat Meager as backup?

I dunno. Doubt Meager would lose backup spot to an injury to his non-throwing arm, and it doesn't sound serious. Not sure how much of an opportunity would push Tune to No. 2, but I guess it's possible.

Hey Miller, DeLoach, your effort is much appreciated, but please...can we NOT snap our starting QB like a twig before summer?

I dunno. Doubt Meager would lose backup spot to an injury to his non-throwing arm, and it doesn't sound serious. Not sure how much of an opportunity would push Tune to No. 2, but I guess it's possible.

Could depend on whose choice it was to sit out the scrimmage with such a minor injury. If the coaching staff kept Meager off the field its one thing...but if Meager, who has already had one poor scrimmage, was looking for an excuse for that performance and is lacking confidence, its really good to see Nathan making strides. Not a Meager attack...rather an observation...I think its best for this year and the future if Meager, Tune and Phillips all are performing as well as possible, making the redshirting choice on Riley an obvious one

Can someone who watches the practices/scrimmages note whether the CB's are still taking such deep drops in alignment ? I am hoping the new schemes will have them pressing a bit more.

They are playing much closer up. Several of us noted that last week at the scrimmage.

The DB's are trying to mix up coverages often. The press the WR's many times but also move right before the ball is snapped giving QB's different looks on the fly.

Penson and Hill started at LB and DB respectfully, which was a change from last week.

A lot of different looks from the DBs, and defense in general, much better than last season.

VERY worried about OL and DL if we don't get some people healed and/or up to speed by late-August. By default, very unproductive spring in those two areas. Nothing you can do. Hollivay, Jenkins, Horton...please show up ready.

You're not the only one. I've been worried about it since last fall when it was evident we were going to be very thin at those positions. I wish they had been someone higher on the recruiting priority list. It's nice to WR's, but they won't mean much without a defense and an offensive line to support them.

Sounds like Tune is making the most of this opportunity to show off his skills.....potential to unseat Meager as backup?

Tune has never been a stellar "practice player". He shines when it counts. Manages a game very well meaning limits turnovers/negative plays, makes plays in critical situations and his teammates respect and rally around him. Of course no one will know this (including coaches) unless he gets a chance when it counts. Yes, being from Celina, I have watched him since his HS days.

Tune has never been a stellar "practice player". He shines when it counts. Manages a game very well meaning limits turnovers/negative plays, makes plays in critical situations and his teammates respect and rally around him. Of course no one will know this (including coaches) unless he gets a chance when it counts. Yes, being from Celina, I have watched him since his HS days.

Tune got a lot of reps with the first string offense in the last scrimmage when Vizza went out early. I didn't think he did as well as he did in the first scrimmage but the defense was really bringing it, a lot of pressure and good coverages. He does appear to me to be more poised and comfortable in the game than last season. He's a great kid too, as Vito will tell you after rescuing him and his stuck car.