Arkansas State

NT03

I like the new name :

JONESBORO, Ark. -- Arkansas State's athletic teams will be called the Red Wolves starting this fall, ending nearly eight decades of being known as the Indians.

Arkansas State has used Indians as a nickname since 1931. In 2005, the NCAA announced a ban on ethnically or racially "hostile" or "abusive" nicknames, mascots and imagery at championship events. Arkansas State was one of the schools found in violation of the policy.

The school had narrowed the replacement choices to Wolves and Red Wolves -- and Potts preferred the latter.

"This would make our choice unique, and much easier to protect under intellectual property law," Potts said in a statement. "The red wolf is a noble species that once inhabited Arkansas. They are vicious and very aggressive. I believe that Red Wolves is the best choice and that is the mascot that we would like to adopt."

The school will host a ceremony introducing the new mascot next Thursday.

Edited by NT03

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My inside source has told me that the makers of the JOLLY GREEN GIANT company are going to ask NORTH TEXAS to drop the term " Mean Green" as it offendeds most of it's consumers. They have suggested the name UNT "Nice Green Men"

Edited by NT03

Arkansas State has used Indians as a nickname since 1931. In 2005, the NCAA announced a ban on ethnically or racially "hostile" or "abusive" nicknames, mascots and imagery at championship events. Arkansas State was one of the schools found in violation of the policy.

Someone explain to me how "Indians" is racially hostile or abusive? It's not INJUNS or REDSKINS.

Idiots....

It's all about the Benjamins.

trud1966 - I completely agree. It is a sad day in this country when anything called "Indian" is offensive. Children cannot even cross their legs now and refer to it as "indian style".

I was hoping that ASU would be more creative and call themselves the Criss Cross Applesauce Warriors....

My inside source has told me that the makers of the JOLLY GREEN GIANT company are going to ask NORTH TEXAS to drop the term " Mean Green" as it offendeds most of it's consumers. They have suggested the name UNT "Nice Green Men"

Its still better then the Jolly Green men.

Down with PC!!!! What an a$$ wiping it has become.

trud1966 - I completely agree. It is a sad day in this country when anything called "Indian" is offensive. Children cannot even cross their legs now and refer to it as "indian style".

I was hoping that ASU would be more creative and call themselves the Criss Cross Applesauce Warriors....

it is now called "native american style"

Any Native Americans out there that would like to chime in? Me personally, I don't feel passionately either way on the subject. But then I am just your average white boy mutt. So I am not really qualified to speak on what is and is not offensive to Native Americans.

I was on the phone the other day with a customer service rep in Mumbai, India who also was highly offended at the use of "Indians" by ASU.

I explained to him that the term "indian" was in reference to Native American people (feather), not Asian (spot). :phone:

He hung up on me. :unsure:

Found this article on the subject:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2005/08/08/mascot

It listed other schools impacted by this as well:

* Alcorn State University (Braves)

* Arkansas State University (Indians) <-- changed to "Red Wolves"

* Bradley University (Braves)

* Carthage College (Redmen)

* Catawba College (Indians)

* Central Michigan University (Chippewas)

* Chowan College (Braves)

* Florida State University (Seminoles)

* Indiana University of Pennsylvania (Indians)

* McMurry University (Indians)

* Midwestern State University (Indians)

* Mississippi College (Choctaws)

* Newberry College (Indians)

* Southeastern Oklahoma State University (Savages)

* University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Illini)

* University of Louisiana-Monroe (Indians) <-- changed to "Warhawks"

* University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux)

* University of Utah (Utes)

2. Wonder when Florida State is going to change their mascot. This does pertain to all schools with offensive mascots right?

The Seminole nation of Florida has come to the support of FSU, so the NCAA has backed down from having them change their mascot. I think the same was done with ND and teh Sioux tribe.