Deloach Will Be $100,000 Man

MeanGreen61

January 30, 2008

DeLoach will be a $100,000 man for UNT

I obtained a copy of the contract new UNT defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach signed earlier this week. The full details will be in tomorrow's paper, but here is a quick rundown.

DeLoach will make $105,000 this year and will also receive a car allowance. The former UCLA defensive backs coach spent the 1998-2002 seasons as a UNT assistant coach, including the final three as the Mean Green's defensive coordinator.

DeLoach's salary is 12.9 percent higher than what former UNT defensive coordinator Ron Mendoza made in his only season with the Mean Green.

DeLoach is a highly respected coach who has spent the majority of his career in Texas. UNT is hoping he can turn around the Mean Green's defense that finished last nationally with an average of 45.1 points allowed a game last season. DeLoach's defenses at the end of his first stay with the Mean Green were among the best in recent school history.

UNT's 2002 unit ranked in the top 10 nationally in both scoring defense and total defense.

For more on DeLoach, see tomorrow's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

Tell me again how this is not good? Sure, we are not paying our coaches millions of dollars, but how again is that not good?

Agree...

So how is any UNT assistant coach getting a 6 figure income not good?

I think this is the first time for this to ever happen at UNT; that is, an assistant getting into the 6 figures income range.

I only wish all of them could get those 6 figures and like Dallas Green said, our administration will soon have to realize that these kind of things need to happen if we are going to compete where we say we want to compete.

Hey folks, this is not your great-great grandfather's NTSTC any longer. When will everyone step across the line with the rest of us to finally realize this?

GMG!

Where does everybody think the money comes from for salaries more in line with successful programs? It comes from donors and ticket sales. Boost those and you can boost salaries.

Now the countdown begins before somebody complains again about having to shell out more for a mediocre seat this year, as if we can all keep paying Wal-Mart prices forever but the program will grow and advance anyway. Maybe if we all wish really hard, magical pixies will deliver the bigger budget the program needs.

Guest 97and03

Where does everybody think the money comes from for salaries more in line with successful programs? It comes from donors and ticket sales. Boost those and you can boost salaries.

Now the countdown begins before somebody complains again about having to shell out more for a mediocre seat this year, as if we can all keep paying Wal-Mart prices forever but the program will grow and advance anyway. Maybe if we all wish really hard, magical pixies will deliver the bigger budget the program needs.

Magical pixies that many posters on GMG sometimes call "the students."

DRC article - Not much added info

UNT rehires DeLoach as defensive coordinator

08:50 AM CST on Thursday, January 31, 2008

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Gary DeLoach will be paid a base salary of $105,000 in his the first season of his second stint as North Texas’ defensive coordinator under the terms of a contract he signed Tuesday.

DeLoach’s salary will be 12.9 percent higher than what Ron Mendoza earned in his only season in the same capacity. Mendoza was fired in the offseason.

DeLoach, who will also receive a $400 monthly car allowance, was a UNT assistant coach from 1998-2002 before leaving the staff to become an assistant at UCLA, where he spent the last five seasons.

The Houston native directed some of the best top defenses in recently UNT history. The Mean Green led the Sun Belt Conference in both scoring and total defense in each of his last two seasons at UNT.

The Mean Green ranked third nationally in scoring defense with an average of 14.8 points a game and also ranked ninth in total defense with an average of 288.6 yards allowed a game in the 2002 season.

“I talked to some of the coaches whose teams played against him and they had great things to say about him and his defenses,” Dodge said after hiring DeLoach last week. “Once I set my sights on him, I also asked some coaches who I respect who I should hire without telling them that I was looking at hiring Gary. They said they would hire Gary DeLoach.”

DeLoach coached UCLA’s safeties and special teams units last season. Karl Dorrell and his staff were fired after UCLA finished the regular season 6-6.

The Bruins went on to fall to BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl.

DeLoach has spent the majority of his career in Texas, making stops at Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin and Trinity Valley in addition to UNT.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

Edited by MeanGreen61

Tell me again how this is not good? Sure, we are not paying our coaches millions of dollars, but how again is that not good?

Thats not good compared to the rest of division one football. I know that we don't have the budget that other teams do, but for all the work, time, stress, and other BS that goes into being a coordinator in an FBS football program and on top of that having a Masters degree and 25, or so, years of experience in major collegiate football, 100K is chicken shoot.

Looks like North Texas went all out in trying to get DeLoach. Now some of you are probably saying "all out"? Malaone makes 80,000 more as an assistant at A & M! We have to also look at DeLoach is probably the highest paid assistant in UNT history. I'm not positive, but I bet that's true. I'm sure they got DeLoach as much as their budget would allow. I'm glad he took the job and that he believes in the Mean Green!

Put a BETTER product on the field if you want more outside support. It took years for those programs to cultivate boosters that could supplement salaries, but in each case the university first showed a COMMITTMENT to D-1. What difference does it make being competitive in coaches salaries? How long do you stay at a job where those in similar situations make multiples of what you make?

Thats not good compared to the rest of division one football. I know that we don't have the budget that other teams do, but for all the work, time, stress, and other BS that goes into being a coordinator in an FBS football program and on top of that having a Masters degree and 25, or so, years of experience in major collegiate football, 100K is chicken shoot.

I think he was only making like $135,000 at UCLA. It was posted a couple weeks ago.

I guess you and I are a little different. I could care less how much we pay a coach as long as we are winning. I would be pretty ticked off right now if we were paying 200+ plus to assistants with the way we are right now. I guess you feel better about the program if we were paying 200 - 300k for our assistant coaches being in Fouts paying $70 dollars a ticket per game?