New Stadium - Anything Mentioned At Football Banquet?

GreenMachine

Quote From Greenbat earlier today on the FIU Stadium thread: "This university, as much as I love it, is going to fall into the athletic wasteland, unless it begins to get more big money alums involved."

And this has most always been our alma mater's problem for most of its modern existance; that is, getting our Big Donor alums excited about their alma mater. It just hasn't happened like it has at other schools our size and how strange since we are a Texas-based university--you know, Texas...............where football is king?

Some of us give what we can give & when we can give it, but all the monies raised on this forum alone would still not equal what we will make in one game in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, come this Fall.

But the good news is we seem to have more of our powers that be who (from all accounts) understand that this new stadium is going to be much more than about Game Day college football games in our future, but what many Texans will all but judge what our entire university can do when it announces such a bold venture as a new football stadium.

FWIW & in the opinion of many, the whole gosh darned reputation of UNT (and the UNT System as far as that is concerned) is on the line with this new football stadium venture, and especially where it will most strategically be located because once its finally built it will be there for all to see--whether that be a "smallish" erection set stadium like FIU seems to be building or a true NCAA D1-A football palace. The contention of many I've spoken to is "build it right or don't build until we can build it right."

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The contention of many I've spoken to is "build it right or don't build until we can build it right."

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I agree with PLUMMER. But the problem is that NT's AD is trying to sell to EVERYONE, that he has the money to build it now. I'll call BS on this until they prove to me they have the money raised. I don't know about anyone else, but NT needs to be careful when working with the fuure athletic director of Louisiana Tech.

Ask RV how his trip to Rustin was?

I don't know about anyone else, but NT needs to be careful when working with the fuure athletic director of Louisiana Tech.

Heresy. I love RV and he loves me back and he would never cheat on me. You are a lying liar with poop pants.

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I agree with PLUMMER. But the problem is that NT's AD is trying to sell to EVERYONE, that he has the money to build it now. I'll call BS on this until they prove to me they have the money raised. I don't know about anyone else, but NT needs to be careful when working with the fuure athletic director of Louisiana Tech.

REVISED THURSDAY AM

Now Brent I know we have agreed on more things than this one, just give me some time to think what they were, OK? :rolleyes::blink::lol:

Seriously, I have hope of all hope that UNT will have the "One Donor/One Announcement" theory come to reality.

All of us who've been to Oklahoma State in past years probably knew in our heart of hearts how (during those years) that their football stadium could hardly be called one that was of Big 8 or Big 12 standards but...

.........One Donor, ie, T. Boone Pickens with merely One Announcement changed the football future of the OSU Cowboy football program (and their entire university family) for the next 50 or so years with his huge gift to the Stillwater-based school.

Now I don't know if UNT will ever find such a high roller with the billions that T. Boone Pickens has, but we don't need T. Boone Pickens type monies to build what we need in Denton, Texas.

IMHO What we have (in the last few years) asked AD Rick V to do is more than one man could possibly do; after all, for much of the last 3 or so years, we have "ONLY" been asking RV to raise more monies than was in our entire UNT Endowment. Would you like to have that responsibility at UNT? That (my friends) would be quite a tall order for anyone working at at our alma mater in light of our past fund-raising history (at any level) AND...........that would not be fair to ask of any UNT Athletic Director no matter who that would be. In all fairness to RV, he did seem to have one very heavy finger of one particular former Chairman of the UNT Board of Regents on him most of the time he's been our AD and that was the case until that chairman tenure on the BOR's was over.

Anyone else remember when a particular UNT BOR's chairman had the kajones to veto the firing of a coach that had we replaced him at the time back in 2001, we may have very well hired the kind of head football coach our former conference-mate Boise State had been getting in their last 4 head football coaching hires coupled with the kind of leadership that would have never, never, never produced such a bush league & immature act as black jerseys-gate became (which was an insult and symbolic "mooning" aimed at our entire UNT community) and then................. back in 2001 Rick V may have very well been "allowed" :( by our (then) Chairman of the BOR's to hire a new Mean Green HFC that would have annually recruited a good class and coached Mean Green football into a Top 25 program.

Also, such a Mean Green football program that would have been representing the SBC as a Top 25 football program going to the Big Easy those 4 years (instead of one ranked in the Bottom 25).

TO AN EXTREME MINORITY OF DODGE-BASHERS ON GMG.COM & YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE: So you really did like that level of a NCAA D1-A co-existance for UNT back then as we were habitual Bottom 25 scavengers and you really thought it just fine for our alma mater to be, uh, "successful" :no: at that level? Well, go ahead & continue eating your "always low expectations for UNT" humble pie (but realize you may, in deed, now be in an extreme minority). Again, you really thought all that Bottom 25 success fit the bill for UNT? Well, then I hope you also enjoy beating your own sister in an arm-wrestling contest as well. NOTE: Also, try to give Coach Todd Dodge at least half the time it took DD to reach his first season of over .500 in wins/losses in Mean Green Country, too, if you please, because that would be very nice of you. :(

Best case fund-raising scenario at UNT? IMHO, that would be if every top UNT administrator (starting with Dr. Bataille) along with every UNT Board of Regent (and even past Regents with UNT ties for that matter) working side by side our UNT AD and Todd Dodge by creating the kind of excitement that this new NCAA D1-A football stadium can do for our entire UNT System, specifically our main campus in Denton.

Again, much really does ride on our school's overall reputation here in the great Southwest as far as our asking the question to ourselves: "Can UNT put its money where its mouth is with this football stadium out at our Eagle Point Campus between those 2 Texas interstates? Unfortunately, just like Big 12 member Oklahoma State University, we, too, are just going to need our own version of a Heavy Hitter to help us get our new football stadium jump-started, too.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest 97and03

When has Rick told people that we have the money to build it now? I don't remember hearing such terms.

I don't remember any statements made at the banquet indicating that we had the funding. He did however openly address the subject of a new stadium, which he's never done on his own in the past. Usually someone has to directly ask a question about it, and put him on the spot. This time it seemed to be at the top of his agenda to talk about.

Edited by SilverEagle

I don't remember any statements made at the banquet indicating that we had the funding. He did however openly address the subject of a new stadium, which he's never done on his own in the past. Usually someone has to directly ask a question about it, and put him on the spot. This time it seemed to be at the top of his agenda to talk about.

I'm sure the reason he IS making statments prior to being asked is because UNT has set things in motion. Has everyone already forgotten about this? Click on the link below. According to the timeline at the end of page 5, beginning of page 6, there should be an architect selected for the project. Of course, this doesnt necessarily mean they have ALL the money for the stadium. They could just be spending dollars on design and construction documents.

http://esbd.cpa.state.tx.us/docs/752/74071_1.pdf

Edited by trud1966

...expects to reach a contractual agreement with the selected firm by February 4, 2008 and will

expect programming and civil engineering work to begin immediately thereafter....

Hence my "wait until later next week" suggestion. Contracts need to be approved by those in charge.