Football Stadium

greendog

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't we been in the quite phase for something like the past 6-7 years? :blink: At this rate I'll be 85 years old before the first shovel of dirt is turned for the new stadium. Please, just be sure the stadium has elevators.

OK, I'm a football stadium fund raising idiot, so can someone please explain the purpose of a "quiet" phase? We're trying to raise money, right? What good is it to be quiet about it?

Keith

OK, I'm a football stadium fund raising idiot, so can someone please explain the purpose of a "quiet" phase? We're trying to raise money, right? What good is it to be quiet about it?

It's to make sure the school has enough money to complete the project. It does no good to raise funds from thousands of donors and fall short. Better to hit up the big donors in the quiet phase unil a good chunk of the money is raised, usually 40%.

Edited by UNTflyer

Agree.

I'm a student and I even agree...but then again I would vote yes for the student fee. Truth is, a $50 or $100 fee per semester, most people would probably not even notice. There are so many fees I pay that I have no idea where the money goes to.

This stadium is something that needs to happen, and if the BOR has the power to impose the fee, I sure hope they do it. The people that would vote no can be happy later when the value of a North Texas degree goes up, because unfortunately most people judge the quality of an institution by their athletic program.

Keith

Because grandiose articles in various newspapers sound a lot better when it reads "North Texas has raised 80% of the projected costs" than when it reads "North Texas has raised about 20% of the projected costs." If a friend is trying to raise $100 and tells me they have $80, I'm more likely to give them $20 so they can reach their goal. If they tell me they have $10, it comes off as wishful thinking and I'm less apt to help out. I know all the "real" (read: gmg super-hardcore-A-Number 1) fans would donate, but those a little farther outside the circle want proof things are really coming along.

Got it. So, during the "quiet" phase we are still actively and aggressively seeking donations. It's just that we do not go public with the current contribution levels until it's reached some significant percentage of the goal. Then there is a more public campaign to push it over the line. Is that basically it?

Keith

Edited by keith

Got it. So, during the "quiet" phase we are still actively and aggressively seeking donations. It's just that we do not go public with the current contribution levels until it's reached some significant percentage of the goal. Then there is a more public campaign to push it over the line. Is that basially it?

Keith

Precisely

Got it. So, during the "quiet" phase we are still actively and aggressively seeking donations. It's just that we do not go public with the current contribution levels until it's reached some significant percentage of the goal. Then there is a more public campaign to push it over the line. Is that basially it?

Keith

That's it.

I'm a student and I even agree...but then again I would vote yes for the student fee. Truth is, a $50 or $100 fee per semester, most people would probably not even notice. There are so many fees I pay that I have no idea where the money goes to.

This stadium is something that needs to happen, and if the BOR has the power to impose the fee, I sure hope they do it. The people that would vote no can be happy later when the value of a North Texas degree goes up, because unfortunately most people judge the quality of an institution by their athletic program.

I too was like that once. Now that I know where every red cent goes, I have a new appreciation for many of the services that I am paying for on campus. The truth is though, that a $100 fee increase per semester would be noticed. Do you know how hard it is to get students on board with just a $5 per semester fee increase? You are talking about one hell of a informational campaign aimed at students to get them to realize why they should pay $100 per semester for something that they might only see for a year before they graduate. The reality is once they graduate, most won't be back, so they don't care.

I'm all on board for a student fee to help pay for this bad boy, and I know of alot of students who are right there with me, but I also know alot of students who would fight an increase to pay for a new stadium wholeheartedly. I'd gladly throw up $100 per semester to see this stadium get built, but I fear student's like Matt and I are not the majority.

This is exactly what was described to me by the Development office. We are in the planning phase of fund raising and will soon move in to the quite phase. We have to know what the price tag is before we know how much money to pickup I was told we have a little over $5M already in hand (in the Development department) for the stadium. I believe there is more money to be added to the total that comes from the state through the budget. We have some money but we also have a ways to go.

I believe that $5M may be the amount pledged - not actually received. Also, the state will not contribute funds to athletic facilities.

You are talking about one hell of a informational campaign aimed at students to get them to realize why they should pay $100 per semester for something that they might only see for a year before they graduate. The reality is once they graduate, most won't be back, so they don't care.

Our new Mean green Stadium spokesperson, Sally Struthers...

gilmore-girls-struthers25.jpg

"For just the price of a used Calculus textbook per semester, you too can give a worthy Mean Green football team a chance for mid-major conference respect..."

I too was like that once. Now that I know where every red cent goes, I have a new appreciation for many of the services that I am paying for on campus. The truth is though, that a $100 fee increase per semester would be noticed. Do you know how hard it is to get students on board with just a $5 per semester fee increase? You are talking about one hell of a informational campaign aimed at students to get them to realize why they should pay $100 per semester for something that they might only see for a year before they graduate. The reality is once they graduate, most won't be back, so they don't care.

I'm all on board for a student fee to help pay for this bad boy, and I know of alot of students who are right there with me, but I also know alot of students who would fight an increase to pay for a new stadium wholeheartedly. I'd gladly throw up $100 per semester to see this stadium get built, but I fear student's like Matt and I are not the majority.

This is precisely why you don't ask, you just slap the fee on their bill. For as much as some of our students like to wear UT, aTm, Tech shirts it's about time they started getting treated like they go there...and they're NT education would STILL be waaaaay cheaper.

Guest 97and03

You also have to remember that these are students, usually broke students. They are often taking out loans and those loans have to be paid back at some point. That $100 a semester adds up over a college career and accumulates interests while in school (usually) and while in the repayment period.

UNT has so many non-traditional students that work hard for their tution and don't just get a check from daddy each semester. Some students put their tution on credit cards and that interest is much higher than student loan interest rates.

I think at some point very soon a modest increase in student fees will need to occur for UNT athletics to move forward. But the students need to agree to it and need to be able to afford it. I am ABSOLUTELY oppossed to a flat fee. The most recent increase in student service fees for athletics was fair because the amount was not too great, it was per credit hour, and was capped. Something similar, if the proper marketing and groundwork was laid, would probably be accepted.

Edited by 97and03

For those of you that might be looking for a little light reading before bedtime.... Take a look here

Chapter 17. Campus Planning

Subchapter H. Rules Applying to Intercollegiate Athletics Projects

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/Rules/tac3.cf...chapter=H#17.71

§17.70 Standards Applying to Intercollegiate Athletic Projects

To obtain Board approval for an intercollegiate athletic project, an institution must demonstrate that the project complies with the following standards:

(1) Institutional Standards. The institution shall demonstrate that an Intercollegiate Athletic Project complies with the standards required in §§17.30(1)(A) - 17.30(1)(B) of this title (relating to Deferred Maintenance and Critical Deferred Maintenance).

(2) Project Standards. The following basic standards shall apply to all Intercollegiate Athletic Projects considered by the Board, Committee on Strategic Planning, or the Commissioner:

(A) New construction and/or Additions--New construction of or addition to an Intercollegiate Athletic Project shall be considered under the provisions of §17.30(2) of this title (relating to Project Standards).

(B) Repair and Renovation--Repair or renovation of an Intercollegiate Athletic Project shall be considered under the provisions of §17.40(2) of this title (relating to Project Standards) and §17.41 of this title (relating to Additional Requirements).

Source Note: The provisions of this §17.70 adopted to be effective August 15, 2004, 29 TexReg 7691; amended to be effective November 22, 2005, 30 TexReg 7736

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

§17.71 Additional Requirements

The following additional requirements shall be considered by the Board in evaluating projects that support intercollegiate athletics at Texas public universities:

(1) If a facility is used for both intercollegiate athletics and educational and general purposes, the cost of the facility shall be appropriately prorated.

(2) The use of student fees for financing construction projects that support intercollegiate athletics shall be limited to no more than 50 percent of the total project cost at Texas institutions that participate in the Bowl Championship Series and to 75 percent of the total project cost at other universities.

(3) For institutions participating in the NCAA Football Bowl Championship Series, Board approval of projects supporting intercollegiate athletics normally shall be conditional upon a finding that no more than 50 percent of the financing is derived, directly or indirectly, from students.

(4) For institutions not participating in the NCAA Football Bowl Championship Series, Board approval of projects supporting intercollegiate athletics shall normally be conditional upon a finding that no more than 75 percent of the financing is derived, directly or indirectly, from students.

(5) In making its findings, the Board may consider the total allocation of revenue supporting intercollegiate athletics.

Source Note: The provisions of this §17.71 adopted to be effective August 15, 2004, 29 TexReg 7691

I think at some point very soon a modest increase in student fees will need to occur for UNT athletics to move forward. But the students need to agree to it and need to be able to afford it.

You want the students to afford it and agree to it? Then it will NEVER happen.

I am pretty sure that a fee is going to be part of the plan... there are so many students at UNT that even a small fee of $50 a semester would generate over $7 million a year.

(2) The use of student fees for financing construction projects that support intercollegiate athletics shall be limited to no more than 50 percent of the total project cost at Texas institutions that participate in the Bowl Championship Series and to 75 percent of the total project cost at other universities.

That means we can raise $45 million through student fees (assuming a $60m stadium). At $50 a semester, we can pay that off in about 5 1/2 years (interest not included).

Edited by UNTflyer

You want the students to afford it and agree to it? Then it will NEVER happen.

I am pretty sure that a fee is going to be part of the plan... there are so many students at UNT that even a small fee of $50 a semester would generate over $7 million a year.

If all 34,000 some odd students each paid $50 per semester... It would only bring in $3.4 million per year. 34,000 X $50 = $1.7 million X 2 (2 semesters per year) = $3.4 million.

While I support and understand the necessity of securing student service fees in order to build the new stadium and grow the athletic department, bear in mind the following...

UNT Cost of Enrollment for 15 hours (1997-1998)

$1053.10

UNT Cost of Enrollment for 15 hours (2007-2008)

$3196.10

If all 34,000 some odd students each paid $50 per semester... It would only bring in $3.4 million per year. 34,000 X $50 = $1.7 million X 2 (2 semesters per year) = $3.4 million.

Wow, you are agressive with the returns from the student fees. I would suggest they could/will budget the student fees much like a typical ROI. I can't recall an ROI being so agressive that it is realized in one year. Maybe 5-15 years depending on who's math you use. Don't forget summer semesters. 3.4M/year for 16 years is 54.4M if you don't use any of the gate, bowl appearances or hotdog money to augment the costs. 16 years could turn in to 5 to 6 when you consider donations. Man, I'm even convincing myself....

Education is expense. We all understand that. If you want to talk about student loan repayment I will curl your eyelashes. No matter how you slice it...the quality of the education in part is perception. There is no way law school at Harvard and law school at Texas Tech is any different but Harvard will open more doors simply because of perception (if you subtract the "good ol boy" factor from each). The perception of education at UT, TAMU and TT is different that education at NT simply because of football. There are more endowments at Big 12 schools than at NT partially because of football. Ask a person in any of the other 49 states to name the major schools in Texas and I will bet they name the Big 12 schools first. Is the education at NT better than most or all schools in Texas...you damn right it is, at least in some areas but athletics plays a huge part in the perception of quality. Every student that has ever attended NT would benifit from a strong athletic program whether they have ever been to a game or not.

While I support and understand the necessity of securing student service fees in order to build the new stadium and grow the athletic department, bear in mind the following...

UNT Cost of Enrollment for 15 hours (1997-1998)

$1053.10

UNT Cost of Enrollment for 15 hours (2007-2008)

$3196.10

Cost of Enrollment for 15 hours (2007) at Texas A &M - $5,000

UNT is still cheap.