Unt / Smu Workin' On Deal

MeanGreen61

Deal to continue UNT-SMU football series could be on way

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal confirmed today that he is in talks with SMU about the Mean Green renewing its football series with the Mustangs.

Villarreal said UNT and SMU are comparing open dates and hammering out the details. More and more, it sounds like the schools could have something done within a matter of weeks.

It will be great for both schools to keep the series going. SMU and UNT played on a semi-regular basis until 1992 and then picked up their series again in 2006 when the Mean Green beat the Mustangs at Fouts Field. SMU got its revenge last season at Ford Stadium.

The Mustangs have dominated the series and lead 28-4-1.

After covering UNT football for the last few years, I think a good yearly rivalry is something the Mean Green could really use. Having a hated rival or two boosts interest, the crowds at games and just makes everything more interesting.

A few years ago, I could have made a pretty good argument that New Mexico State was the closest thing UNT had to a real rival. NMSU was in the Sun Belt, was close enough geographically for fans to travel to games and the schools had some great showdowns throughout a long history of playing on a regular basis. When NMSU left the Sun Belt, UNT was left without a rival other than maybe Middle Tennessee, and to me even that is a stretch.

Feel free to weigh in on the blog. Is SMU the Mean Green's biggest rival and how would you feel about the schools continuing their football series?

That is great to hear, I think this kind of series will do nothing but help both schools vitalize and wake a slumbering alumni presence in the DFW metroplex. I think we will see a rise in both schools competition levels.

Deal to continue UNT-SMU football series could be on way

After covering UNT football for the last few years, I think a good yearly rivalry is something the Mean Green could really use. Having a hated rival or two boosts interest, the crowds at games and just makes everything more interesting.

What a smart guy this Vito is. Who would have thunk a good rivalry is a good thing in college sports.

There is no UNT-SMU rivalry. To suggest otherwise just means you are jealous of their money.

"This message approved by DodgeFan"

I disagree. We're not jealous of the money, they just really feel that it makes them superior. Booster money is the ONLY reason they got JJ. Ticket sales alone couldnt pay for his monthly car allowance.

Here's the reason I want to play them. Simply because of their attitude. - Click below...

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30222

I was being sarcastic. Dodgefan is a closet $MU fan and is constantly lobbying us to show the Phonies more respect.

As for their thread over there....

Ugh. Why do we have to legitimize UNT by playing them? We need to avoid playing them for a few years until there is no chance of them beating us. To have them even play us close can only hurt our recruiting. We must work to destroy and humiliate them.

Well... I posted my reply.

From my other post:

At the end of the day, we can only worry about us. We can't worry about what everyone else is doing. While it might hurt a bit when recruiting, this could potentially help UNT in the long run. If we continue to play each other each year, it will only deepen the rivalry and give it more attention. I heard an interview from a USC player once (maybe Leinhart), but he said he was rooting for UCLA to win every game except against them. The reason? He wants it to be the best rivalry in college football. While we would never rival USC/UCLA or UT/A&M, its good pub if both programs are on the rise. I think Todd Dodge will continue to recruit great players and bring the program back to respectability, its just a matter of time. I don't know Jones' background but one thing Dodge has going for him is his long lasting presence in football in the state of Texas. He played at UT, and has much respect from old alumni there, and has coached for a long time in the state. He knows many high school coaches and can trust their judgement when it comes to player evaluations. Basically put, he is well connected where it matters most, the high school coaches. This is where the players all come from and Dodge is well neteworked at that level. From my knowledge, the same can't be said about June Jones.

From my other post:

At the end of the day, we can only worry about us. We can't worry about what everyone else is doing. While it might hurt a bit when recruiting, this could potentially help UNT in the long run. If we continue to play each other each year, it will only deepen the rivalry and give it more attention. I heard an interview from a USC player once (maybe Leinhart), but he said he was rooting for UCLA to win every game except against them. The reason? He wants it to be the best rivalry in college football. While we would never rival USC/UCLA or UT/A&M, its good pub if both programs are on the rise. I think Todd Dodge will continue to recruit great players and bring the program back to respectability, its just a matter of time. I don't know Jones' background but one thing Dodge has going for him is his long lasting presence in football in the state of Texas. He played at UT, and has much respect from old alumni there, and has coached for a long time in the state. He knows many high school coaches and can trust their judgement when it comes to player evaluations. Basically put, he is well connected where it matters most, the high school coaches. This is where the players all come from and Dodge is well neteworked at that level. From my knowledge, the same can't be said about June Jones.

I agree, we can only do the best we can to build our program. Everyone knows the fat, smelly bully on the playground only picks on the other kids because of an inferiority complex.

From my other post:

Potentially help UNT? There is no "potentially" to it. It will help UNT and SMU. And if TCU is smart they will get in on the action too. It's basic marketing. Promote the category (In this example the category is Metroplex Div. 1 football) and the brand(s) (UNT, SMU, TCU football) will prosper.

Potentially help UNT? There is no "potentially" to it. It will help UNT and SMU. And if TCU is smart they will get in on the action too. It's basic marketing. Promote the category (In this example the category is Metroplex Div. 1 football) and the brand(s) (UNT, SMU, TCU football) will prosper.

Sure it would help all schools involved and I am hopeful of a three way play for a DFW Crown will happen. I think something like this would really motivate the Metro Alumni and for us tap that Huge group of potential fans.

From DMN, has quote from RV:

UNT, SMU negotiate extension of series

12:07 AM CST on Wednesday, January 9, 2008

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – UNT and SMU are discussing a deal to continue their football series, Mean Green athletic director Rick Villarreal said Tuesday.

The schools have met 33 times but did not play from 1992 until the series was revived in 2006. The teams played in each of the last two seasons, with UNT winning in 2006 in Denton and SMU in 2007 in Dallas.

Both teams' schedules are full for next season, but talks are under way to ensure the area rivals play again in the next few years. SMU leads the series 28-4-1.

"We have talked and it is going to be in future years," Villarreal said. "Our schedule is full and so is theirs for next year."

Sure it would help all schools involved and I am hopeful of a three way play for a DFW Crown will happen. I think something like this would really motivate the Metro Alumni and for us tap that Huge group of potential fans.

Bring in TCU to the party.....I love threesomes

Las Cruces is almost like driving to Denver for a game. At least you get to ski in Denver. Not sure what you get to do in Las Cruces besides desert hiking.

Haha! There's not a lot to do in 'Cruces'! I played baseball for the Aggies, and it's certainly not the most desirable part of the country. Those were some good games (the most recent with NMSU), and I believe SMU can certainly replace that void of having a rival.

For anyone who hasn't been to Las Cruces NM, I would suggest a visit on vacation to see the mountain areas, skiing, great food, and just a short drive to El Paso. I've seen many games in their stadium, against UNT and UNM.

I used to travel in that area on business so I'm very comfortable in recommending it.

For anyone who hasn't been to Las Cruces NM, I would suggest a visit on vacation to see the mountain areas, skiing, great food, and just a short drive to El Paso. I've seen many games in their stadium, against UNT and UNM.

I used to travel in that area on business so I'm very comfortable in recommending it.

Oh, I think NMSU is a fine program and Las Cruces a nice place to visit. But I question Vito saying it's geographically close enough to Denton for fans to easily travel to for games. It's only as close as Chicago. We need in CUSA just to get some schools within 250 miles of Denton; real rivals.

From my other post:

Basically put, he is well connected where it matters most, the high school coaches. This is where the players all come from and Dodge is well neteworked at that level. From my knowledge, the same can't be said about June Jones.

Here's where people's pride in Texas high school football goes overboard. The myth of Texas high school football and where players who don't go to UT and A&M end up.

He who has eyes and a functioning brain, let him read:

It is a little know fact that a close cousin to the Texas Douche is the Texas High School Football Recruiting Douche - longer name, same consistency of douche-ness. Texas High School Football Recruiting Douche (THSFRD for short) can't understand why a kid who went to high school in Texas would go play for another school in another state.

The obvious things THSFRD overlooks:

(1) Not every kid in Texas lives in a family with deep Texas ties. Texas is a big state. More people move in than move out. Hence, you've got tons of people here with no family in Texas other than their immediate family. This type of kid will have a desire to play his original home state's schools. If a kid made a move in high school, he's got more friends and history in State One than in Texas. This baffles THSFRD to no end.

(2) Many kids want to play for schools that are on television often. With cable, this increases the chances. So, if Kansas' Mark Mangino wedges his way through a kids' front door and explains to him that by going to his school, his family and friends from coast to coast can see him in action in huge stadiums (sometimes Arrowhead), it's unlikely the kid says, "Nah, screw it...I'm going to UTEP. It's in Texas." THSFRD believes being on the TV once in a great while should count just as much. As usual, THSFRD is wrong.

(3) Many kids just want to get away from home. Whether home life is bad, home life is boring, or they just have the yen to be in a different place while they're young, this type of kid won't be swayed by the "stay at home and be close to the family and neighborhood" bit. For many of these kids, home life is hell, and there are bad influences in their neighborhoods. For others, they're just bored with the scene and want a change. Others just want to get away. THSFRD cannot understand Category 3 kids either. You see, THSFRD is probably in his mid-20s to late 30s and still living and home, sponging off mom and dad. In no way can he see cutting apron strings. It's not on his radar.

(4) Many kids also have sports heroes that didn't go to Texas colleges. A speedy kid might have watched Ted Ginn, Jr. at Ohio State and become enthralled with the idea of playing at the Horseshoe. Who knows. His favorite pro player might be Peyton Manning, so he follows the Tennessee Volunteers as well. THSFRD cannot fathom putting anyone outside of a Texas college on a pedestal. Stubbornly clinging to the 557 Bucky Richardson cards in his collection, he refuses to believe anyone could ignore anything Texas college.

(5) Many kids are coached by guys who played football and have connections elsewhere. This really throws a monekywrench into THSFRD's works. Unbeknownst to THSFRD, there are high school coaches other than just the head coach. These "other" coaches, sometimes called "assistants", may have played college football outside of Texas. In fact, many may have friends in the coaching world outside of Texas. Guys they grew up with, or who were teammates in college, or who coached with them in the past. What THSFRD can't compute is that these "assistants" talk to one another, as well as to other coaches outside of Texas. These "assistants" may even be closer to the players than the head coach. It may make THSFRD throw up in his mouth a little to learn this, but...so be it. So, a kid may take advice from someone other than the head coach.

(6) Many kids want to win. This may be the toughest pill of all for THSFRD to swallow; but, swallow it he must. For if Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy invades some Texas kids' living room and says, "Hey! I'm 40! I'm a man! My teams win and go to bowl games every year! It's a crapshoot down there at Baylor and SMU. Why take your chances? Look at these rings? The rings don't lie and neither do I! I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so! BOMP-WAAAH! BOMP-WAAAH! I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so!"

(7) Many kids parents didn't go to school in Texas. They may have hauled junior and the bunch miles away to exotic locales such a Fayetteville, Arkansas, Norman, Oklahoma or Baton Rouge, Lousiana to watch their alma maters in the big stadiums filled to the brim with actual people who want to watch football and don't camp out half the game in the parking lot. THSFRD may still live with his mom, but he still can't register that a kid may want to go to school where his parents went.

(8) A kid's girlfriend may be at a school outside of Texas. THSFRD has never had a girlfriend, so this potential motivating factor for the normal 18- or 19-year old male would never occur to him.

There are dozens of other scenarios, but you get the picture. June Jones will be fine because he's been in the business for decades at the highest levels. It's doubtful that June Jones walks into to many homes or coaches offices in Texas or anywhere and gets brushed aside simply because he was never a head coach of a high school or college program here. Contrary to all THSFRD holds dear, Texas doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Although, THSFRD should occassionally put down the Dave Campbell's Football magazine, come out of the spankshed, and help his mom vacuum the house. It's the least he could do for leeching off her all these years.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Here's where people's pride in Texas high school football goes overboard. The myth of Texas high school football and where player who don't go to UT and A&M end up.

He who has eyes and a functioning brain, let him read:

It is a little know fact that a close cousin to the Texas Douche is the Texas High School Football Recruiting Douche - longer name, same consistency of douche-ness. Texas High School Football Recruiting Douche (THSFRD for short) can't understand why a kid who went to high school in Texas would go play for another school in another state.

The obvious things THSFRD overlooks:

(1) Not every kid in Texas lives in a family with deep Texas ties. Texas is a big state. More people move in than move out. Hence, you've got tons of people here with no family in Texas other than their immediate family. This type of kid will have a desire to play his original home state's schools. If a kid made a move in high school, he's got more friends and history in State One than in Texas. This baffles THSFRD to no end.

(2) Many kids want to play for schools that are on television often. With cable, this increases the chances. So, if Kansas' Mark Mangino wedges his way through a kids' front door and explains to him that by going to his school, his family and friends from coast to coast can see him in action in huge stadiums (sometimes Arrowhead), it's unlikely the kid says, "Nah, screw it...I'm going to UTEP. It's in Texas." THSFRD believes being on the TV once in a great while should count just as much. As usual, THSFRD is wrong.

(3) Many kids just want to get away from home. Whether home life is bad, home life is boring, or they just have the yen to be in a different place while they're young, this type of kid won't be swayed by the "stay at home and be close to the family and neighborhood" bit. For many of these kids, home life is hell, and there are bad influences in their neighborhoods. For others, they're just bored with the scene and want a change. Others just want to get away. THSFRD cannot understand Type C kids either. You see, THSFRD is probably in his mid-20s to late 30s and still living and home, sponging off mom and dad. In no way can he see cutting apron strings. It's not on his radar.

(4) Many kids also have sports heroes that didn't go to Texas colleges. A speedy kid might have watched Ted Ginn, Jr. at Ohio State and become enthralled with the idea of playing at the Horseshoe. Who knows. His favorite pro player might be Peyton Manning, so he follows the Tennessee Volunteers as well. THSFRD cannot fathom putting anyone outside of a Texas college on a pedestal. Stubbornly clinging to the 557 Bucky Richardson cards in his collection, he refuses to believe anyone could ignore anything Texas college.

(5) Many kids are coached by guys who played football and have connections elsewhere. This really throws a monekywrench into THSFRD's works. Unbeknownst to THSFRD, there are high school coaches other than just the head coach. These "other" coaches, sometimes called "assistants", may have played college football outside of Texas. In fact, many may have friends in the coaching world outside of Texas. Guys they grew up with, or who were teammates in college, or who coached with them in the past. What THSFRD can't compute is that these "assistants" talk to one another, as well as to other coaches outside of Texas. These "assistants" may even be closer to the players than the head coach. It may make THSFRD throw up in his mouth a little to learn this, but...so be it. So, a kid may take advice from someone other than the head coach.

(6) Many kids want to win. This may be the toughest pill of all for THSFRD to swallow; but, swallow it he must. For if Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy invades some Texas kids' living room and says, "Hey! I'm 40! I'm a man! My teams win and go to bowl games every year! It's a crapshoot down there at Baylor and SMU. Why take your chance? Look at these rings? The rings don't lie and neither do I! I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so! BOMP-WAAAH! BOMP-WAAAH! I'm a man, yes I am, and I can't help but love you so!"

(7) Many kids parents didn't go to school in Texas. They may have hauled junior and the bunch miles away to exotic locales such a Fayetteville, Arkansas, Norman, Oklahoma or Baton Rouge, Lousiana to watch their alma maters in the big stadiums filled to the brim with actual people who want to watch football and don't camp out half the game in the parking lot. THSFRD may still live with his mom, but he still can't register that a kid may want to go to school where his parents went.

(8) A kid's girlfriend may be at a school outside of Texas. THSFRD has never had a girlfriend, so this potential motivating factor for the normal 18- or 19-year old male would never occur to him.

There are dozens of other scenarios, but you get the picture. June Jones will be fine because he's been in the business for decades at the highest levels. It's doubtful that June Jones walks into to many homes or coaches offices in Texas or anywhere and gets brushed aside simply because he was never a head coach of a high school or college program here. Contrary to all THSFRD holds dear, Texas doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Although, THSFRD should occassionally put down the Dave Campbell's Football magazine, come out of the spankshed, and help his mom vacuum the house. It's the least he could do for leeching of her all these years.

I don't get it. :)

Speaking of threesomes, doesn't UTEP, New Mexico, and New Mexico State have a thing going on? I think they have some kind of tri-game round robin thing with a trophy????? Anyone know for sure?

UTEP does play NMSU every year (I think they only missed 1 or 2 years in the last 20). UTEP has not been playing UNM every year but has played them the last couple.