A Little More On Mendoza & Search For New Dc

NT80

January 4, 2008

A little more on Mendoza

I just rolled back into town after a trip to Troy for UNT's doubleheader with the Trojans and have been working on the breaking news that Ron Mendoza is out as the Mean Green's defensive coordinator.

First off, it's great news for UNT. The Mean Green struggled all season defensively, which was a bit baffling considering UNT had nine starters back from last season's team. I thought UNT had better talent than it showed while finishing last nationally in scoring defense with an average of 45.1 points allowed a game.

I have received plenty of questions on where UNT will go from here. This is what I have been able to find out. I asked Todd Dodge straight up if he had an interest in or had talked to former UNT defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach, but Dodge would not comment on specific candidates for the job.

Word is that the coaches at Texas could be trying to help former co-defensive coordinator Larry Mac Duff land at UNT. Mac Duff resigned after the Longhorns struggled defensively last season.

DeLoach didn't return a message left on his cell phone and I couldn't get in touch with Mac Duff.

Dodge said he is also still in the process of finding a new defensive backs coach to replace Butch LaCroix.

Dodge is headed to the American Football Coaches Association convention this week in California. He will have an opportunity to talk to any coach he has an interest in there. Dodge should have both of his openings filled within a week or two after the convention.

Posted by Brett Vito at 11:30 PM

I asked Todd Dodge straight up if he had an interest in or had talked to former UNT defensive coordinator Gary DeLoach, but Dodge would not comment on specific candidates for the job.

Will Brett ever get to come in from that cold doghouse out back? In the least TD could have said something to the fact of "I'm considering several candidates", or "I haven't had the chance to evaluate or talk to anyone yet".

Rick

Will Brett ever get to come in from that cold doghouse out back? In the least TD could have said something to the fact of "I'm considering several candidates", or "I haven't had the chance to evaluate or talk to anyone yet".

Rick

TD probably did say something to that effect that he couldn't mention names at this time which is about the same as "would not comment on specific candidates". He probably has interviews set up for the Coach's Convention this week in Anaheim and doesn't want it to get out who he may be targeting. I'd say the same thing until I had someone locked up.

TD probably did say something to that effect that he couldn't mention names at this time which is about the same as "would not comment on specific candidates". He probably has interviews set up for the Coach's Convention this week in Anaheim and doesn't want it to get out who he may be targeting. I'd say the same thing until I had someone locked up.

If that's what Dodge had said, that's how Vito would have quoted him.

All the blind Dodge praise and worship is really starting to chap my ass. Not accusing you of it, NT80, though I do admit that I don't think your perspective on the refusal to comment makes any sense, especially considering the difference between hiring a coach and recruiting high school players. If Dodge is worried about losing a "target", it would make sense for it to be someone who can't be contractually locked down for another month. Not someone who can be contractually bound to the university immediately.

Is it just me, or is Dodge really starting to seem like a total dick? I'm not saying he should tell the media everything...but enough with the stonewalling.

All I can say is...he better had produce some dang wins this year!!!

I like Coach Dodge a lot. But, I think last year's bunker mentality was ridiculous. I mean keeping the press out of scrimmages? And making Brett stay outside the fence to watch practice? A lot of good all that secrecy did us.

And one more thing: Next summer, when the players report for fall camp: ALLOW THE FREAKING FANS TO SEE THE FIRST SCRIMMAGE.

That's all.

I like Coach Dodge a lot. But, I think last year's bunker mentality was ridiculous. I mean keeping the press out of scrimmages? And making Brett stay outside the fence to watch practice? A lot of good all that secrecy did us.

I think we're being too hard on Dodge based on some anecdotal evidence. Surely the DRC has enough juice at UNT to get Vito inside the fence, if they want to make a big deal out of it.

I think we're being too hard on Dodge based on some anecdotal evidence. Surely the DRC has enough juice at UNT to get Vito inside the fence, if they want to make a big deal out of it.

I guess I should defer to you....since being in Florida, I'm sure you're much more on top of things....than I could possibly be, being here in Denton.

There's nothing anecdotal about it. I've been to many practices and have seen Brett standing outside the fence. Also, FFR and NT80 can attest to the fact, that Brett and the FW beat reporter were tossed out of the press box at the first scrimmage.

If that's what Dodge had said, that's how Vito would have quoted him.

All the blind Dodge praise and worship is really starting to chap my ass. Not accusing you of it, NT80, though I do admit that I don't think your perspective on the refusal to comment makes any sense, especially considering the difference between hiring a coach and recruiting high school players. If Dodge is worried about losing a "target", it would make sense for it to be someone who can't be contractually locked down for another month. Not someone who can be contractually bound to the university immediately.

Many potential coaches don't want their names released. Neither you nor I know the circumstances. DeLoach didn't answer Vito's call about the subject either. It's not uncommon to ignor media requests for info....see SMUt AD's responses to media questions.

I guess I should defer to you....since being in Florida, I'm sure you're much more on top of things....than I could possibly be, being here in Denton.

There's nothing anecdotal about it. I've been to many practices and have seen Brett standing outside the fence. Also, FFR and NT80 can attest to the fact, that Brett and the FW beat reporter were tossed out of the press box at the first scrimmage.

I can testify to this policy and treatment of reporters as well. At one early fall practice, Mr. Vito and I shared the shade (such as it was) from a scrawny tree right by the entrance to the practice field. Unless you were related to one of the players (or I guess one of the coaches) you couldn't be inside and close up. However, on that particular day, as Mr. Vito and I watched, a well known letterman, who I don't think is related to anyone on the team, came walking out of the practice area right before the team came out. He had been in there talking to coach LaCroix.

We watched this, and neither of us said anything....which is a tribute to Mr. Vito's professionalism. But this had to be very annoying to someone who makes their living reporting on the team. I'm sure he would rather have been standing under the tent set up in the middle of the practice field, interviewing players and coaches in a more comfortable setting. Instead he was running over and grabbing people as they walked out of the practice field and interviewing them as they were trying to get back to the locker room....after having to stand out in the sun for over an hour.

Many potential coaches don't want their names released. Neither you nor I know the circumstances. DeLoach didn't answer Vito's call about the subject either. It's not uncommon to ignor media requests for info....see SMUt AD's responses to media questions.

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all. It's rather obvious that Dodge is just plain being a jerkwad. The fact that it's a pretty common practice to not discuss candidates early on has nothing to do with it.

Is it just me, or is Dodge really starting to seem like a total dick? I'm not saying he should tell the media everything...but enough with the stonewalling.

another subpar winning season, and it will change. I don't really understand why he is acting the way he is.

Maybe they don't want thier names out there, but DeLoach will interview if he hasn't already.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

I have to ask, because I think everyone has just assumed and not really clarified: does DeLoach even want to be here...I mean, is he even interested?

I'm curious, because I don't even recall if he left here on good terms. There were always mixed feelings about the Buick (internally, anyways), and I don't know how DeLoach felt about him/UNT.

Edited by greenminer

I happen to think he just wants to keep information about the team closed to the public. As a coach, it's his prerogative to handle it as he wishes. I don't have feelings about it one way or the other. If this translate to wins down the road, I'm all for it. He is about the team being bigger than what the fanbase needs to know. Lets keep this in perspective. The team is bigger than individual feelings in this matter. GO MEAN GREEN

Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all. It's rather obvious that Dodge is just plain being a jerkwad. The fact that it's a pretty common practice to not discuss candidates early on has nothing to do with it.

It means he hasn't hired anyone yet and doesn't want to release names of who he wants to interview, big deal. That's it, no conspiracy theories.

Nice. I yield to your greater expertise in all things North Texas, since you are in Denton and I am in Florida.

I'm not disputing that Vito's outside the fence. I'm saying it might not be a good enough reason to get our underwear in a bunch about Coach Dodge. As someone who used to work for the press, in Denton, I know how dependent the school was on newspapers covering events at the school. If Vito and the DRC can't turn that into better access at UNT football, it must not be important enough to them.