Larry Mac Duff Will Be Nt's Next Dc

SouthBendGreen

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm, well - he would be the absolute perfect fit. In fact, maybe they will make him the Assistant Head Coach along with Dodge. We got killed in special teams and that is his fortay. We need a D-Coordinator.... he is absolutely the PERFECT fit for our needs if this turns out to be true. OMG - I have never doubted Dodge or RV; but this would be an INCREDIBLE hire. INCREDIBLE. Maybe they will just take Butch's pay and combine it with Mendoza's pay and give it all to this guy so that we can give him a respectable salary. Please let it be true! PLEASE!

Dodge has serious UT ties... this makes sense.

I'm not so sure about this....as a Texas X and with many friends and family as X's also EVERYONE wanted MacDuff ...GONE....so what does this say bucky? Get DeLoach..

Barry Switzer was one of the best recruiters of all time.....of both white and black players. A good recruiter is a good recruiter.

I've thought about this for a long time, and I guess that this is as good a place as any to bring it up.

The Black community is just as congnizant of "bottom line" issues in making life decisions as the white community.

Black parents certainly want their children to go to a college where their children are comfortable (culture-wise and other wise), but they also want their children to be equipped to succeed in life after they quit playing football. THAT is their main decision making process......not color.

If blind loyalty to color was the black community's only decision making factor, then why aren't Grambling State, Southern U., Texas Southern and all the other traditionally black schools nationally ranked powers every year?

North Texas was the first Texas state D-1 school to offer black players scholarships. But out of blind loyalty, did that make us the first choice of all black athletes in the state of Texas after that? Hell no!

To say (or imply) that an all-white coaching staff would be a detriment to recruiting in the black community is an insult to the intelligence and decision making ability of the black community.

Could not have said that better SilverEagle! Thank you sir!

It sure is pretty outside this morning. There's just something about that crystal clear blue sky and bright sun shining through the trees. :)

As to the subject at hand, I can't help but think that McDuff was tired of havin to share the DC duties. That had to have been strange. As for who I would prefer between McDuff and DeLoach, it's DeLoach all the way. I've seen him coach in practice. I've seen him coach on the sidelines. I've seen the players he brought here who did great things and I've seen his defenses dominate bigger money programs. He's from Texas and will certainly want to finish his career in Texas. He is a proven winner here at North Texas. The choice is easy for me.

Bio

Gary DeLoach begins his fifth season at UCLA after joining the Bruin staff in January of 2003. This will be his second season concentrating on the safeties. In addition, he will also be in charge of the special teams in 2007. In his first two seasons, DeLoach coached both the safeties and cornerbacks. In 2005, he focused on working with the cornerbacks while supervising the overall defensive secondary. Last year, the starting safeties enjoyed outstanding seasons. Chris Horton, in his first full season without injury, led the team with 95 tackles (ninth in the Pac-10) at his strong safety position while adding two picks and two forced fumbles. Free safety Dennis Keyes ranked third on the team with 79 tackles. In 2005, senior cornerback Marcus Cassel finished third on the team in tackles with 59 stops. Cornerback Trey Brown continued to develop his game at the other cornerback slot and added 53 tackles and 10 pass defenses. In 2004, cornerback Matt Clark earned first-team All-Pac-10 honors and led the team with 11 pass breakups. In 2003, the Bruins led the Pac-10 in pass defense, giving up just 200.7 yards a game through the air and allowing a conference-low 15 TD passes. Prior to coming to Westwood, DeLoach served as defensive coordinator for three years at the University of North Texas and was the secondary coach for five seasons. During the 2002 regular season, the Mean Green of North Texas led the Sun Belt Conference in total defense, rushing defense, passing defense and scoring defense. Nationally, North Texas was third in scoring defense (14.8 points), ninth in total defense (290.6 yards), 12th in passing defense (171.7) and 26th in rushing defense (118.9). The Mean Green allowed over 310 yards total offense just three times all year. In its 24-19 victory over Conference USA champion Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl, North Texas allowed just 309 yards of offense and intercepted five passes. In addition, six North Texas defenders were selected first-team All-Sun Belt Conference that season, including defensive backs Don McGee and Craig Jones. In his five years as the secondary coach, six different defensive backs earned first team all-conference. In 2001, Jonas Buckles earned first-team all-conference honors after ranking fifth nationally and first in the Sun Belt Conference in interceptions. He was a second-team all-league pick in 2002. Under DeLoach's direction, the Mean Green ranked at or near the top of the conference in several defensive categories each year. In 2001, the Mean Green defense led the Sun Belt in rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense. DeLoach, a 1972 graduate of Sam Houston High School in Houston, went to North Texas in 1998 after serving as defensive coordinator for national JUCO champion Trinity Valley of Athens, TX and coaching in the World League with the Frankfurt Galaxy in 1997. At Frankfurt, he worked under Coach Ernie Stautner, former longtime defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys (1969-89). DeLoach, 53, previously worked as an assistant coach at New Mexico State for seven years (1990-96), spent three seasons at Texas A&M (1980-82) and seven years at Stephen F. Austin (1983-89) in Nacogdoches, TX. He began his college coaching career as a graduate assistant and then part-time assistant at Stephen F. Austin (1976-78). He was also defensive coordinator at Spring Branch High School in 1979. He served as defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Stephen F. Austin from 1983 to 1989. The Lumberjacks made NCAA I-AA playoff appearances in 1988 and 1989, won the Gulf Star Conference title in 1985, the Southland Conference title in 1989 and advanced to the NCAA I-AA championship game in 1989. He was secondary coach during his tenure at Texas A&M. The Aggies made an appearance in the 1981 Independence Bowl, defeating Oklahoma State 33-16. While at New Mexico State, he served as defensive coordinator from 1990 to 1994. The 1992 Aggie squad posted the school's first winning season in 15 years. DeLoach is a 1976 graduate of Howard Payne University in Brownwood, TX.

RECRUITING RESPONSIBILITIES -- Local / California: Central California; National: Texas, Nevada (Reno) and defensive backs.

PERSONAL -- Education: Bachelor's, Howard Payne, 1976; At UCLA: Fifth year (joined staff in January of 2003); Born: June 22, 1954 in Houston, TX.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

"Prior to coming to Westwood, DeLoach served as defensive coordinator for three years at the University of North Texas and was the secondary coach for five seasons. During the 2002 regular season, the Mean Green of North Texas led the Sun Belt Conference in total defense, rushing defense, passing defense and scoring defense. Nationally, North Texas was third in scoring defense (14.8 points), ninth in total defense (290.6 yards), 12th in passing defense (171.7) and 26th in rushing defense (118.9). The Mean Green allowed over 310 yards total offense just three times all year. In its 24-19 victory over Conference USA champion Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl, North Texas allowed just 309 yards of offense and intercepted five passes. In addition, six North Texas defenders were selected first-team All-Sun Belt Conference that season, including defensive backs Don McGee and Craig Jones. In his five years as the secondary coach, six different defensive backs earned first team all-conference. In 2001, Jonas Buckles earned first-team all-conference honors after ranking fifth nationally and first in the Sun Belt Conference in interceptions. He was a second-team all-league pick in 2002. Under DeLoach's direction, the Mean Green ranked at or near the top of the conference in several defensive categories each year. In 2001, the Mean Green defense led the Sun Belt in rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense. "

Enough said, bring back DeLoach!

My sources say the main philosophical difference was that Brown embraced Wittgenstein's contention that our beliefs about the "causes" of phenomena are merely hypotheses, which may indeed be valid based upon our experiences, but in any event are not to be confused with the "reasons" for our actions, which are separate from causes; while MacDuff held out for Schopenhauer's position that "motivation [i.e., reason] is causality seen from within" and that "motivation [is only] causality passing through knowledge."

MacDuff correctly perceived that Brown was, at heart, attacking the foundation of scientific positivism, even venturing into anti-physicalism. Given such a chasm between HC and DC regarding probabilistic causality, a parting seemed inevitable.

And also, the D didn't do so well against the pass.

The best post on GMG in awhile. Brilliant. :lol: