Riley Dodge Scenerio

H-towngreen

We have all been talking for some time about what is going to happen with Riley Dodge. Well here is one more option to think about:

Riley will sit out this year as a medical redshirt, being that recovery from shoulder surgery may take a while. He then sits out his second year with his redshirt, different than his medical. Allowing him more time to play after Vizza is done

Vizza Soph

Dodge Med RS

Vizza JR

Dodge RS

Vizza SR

Dodge RS Fresh

Dodge plays as a RS soph

I don't ever see this happening but just throwing it out there for the oncoming debate.

We have all been talking for some time about what is going to happen with Riley Dodge. Well here is one more option to think about:

Riley will sit out this year as a medical redshirt, being that recovery from shoulder surgery may take a while. He then sits out his second year with his redshirt, different than his medical.

Is that in line with NCAA rules? To take a "medical redshirt" before one's redshirt freshman year?!

True. Medical hardship waivers are for players injured during their collegiate careers. He could "gray shirt" - but that confuses people, too.

From another website, regarding "medical redshirts":

Though often called a "medical redshirt" by sportswriters and sportscasters, the actual term is a "medical hardship waiver". The concept goes like this: Every student-athlete who meets the minimum academic standards coming out of high school gets four season of NCAA Division I Competition eligibility in each sport.

If a student-athlete is injured during a season and cannot return to competition, he or she may qualify for another opportunity to utilize that season of competitive eligibility.

To receive a medical hardship waiver - in any sport - the injury must limit the student-athlete’s participation to no more than 20 percent of the team’s contests (rounded to the next whole number), with all participation occurring in the first half of the season.

Therefore, for a football player, the maximum number of games that he can play in and still receive a medical hardship waiver is three (20 percent of 11 equals 2.2, which is rounded up to 3), and none of his time on the field can occur after the fifth game (the sixth game of an eleven game season is considered in the second half of the season).

In the case of a 12 game regular season, none of the player's time on the field can occur after the sixth game. The seventh game of a 12 game season is considered in the second half of the season.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

True. Medical hardship waivers are for players injured during their collegiate careers. He could "gray shirt" - but that confuses people, too.

Though often called a "medical redshirt" by sportswriters and sportscasters, the actual term is a "medical hardship waiver". The concept goes like this: Every student-athlete who meets the minimum academic standards coming out of high school gets four season of NCAA Division I Competition eligibility in each sport.

If a student-athlete is injured during a season and cannot return to competition, he or she may qualify for another opportunity to utilize that season of competitive eligibility.

To receive a medical hardship waiver - in any sport - the injury must limit the student-athlete’s participation to no more than 20 percent of the team’s contests (rounded to the next whole number), with all participation occurring in the first half of the season.

Therefore, for a football player, the maximum number of games that he can play in and still receive a medical hardship waiver is three (20 percent of 11 equals 2.2, which is rounded up to 3), and none of his time on the field can occur after the fifth game (the sixth game of an eleven game season is considered in the second half of the season).

In the case of a 12 game regular season, none of the player's time on the field can occur after the sixth game. The seventh game of a 12 game season is considered in the second half of the season.

Who's on first?

Thanks, it's good to finally know what qualifies as a med redshirt.

I always think back to Dusty Dvoracak of OU and how he got one for basically being abusing the booze.

What if...

Todd took away Riley's scholarship for next year and paid for school himself, then offered him one the following year and gave him a freshman redshirt?

We're going up in price, but UNT still isn't all that expensive, especially if you're the coach and get (as a staff member) some waivers that make it cheaper for your kid anyway.

What if...

Todd took away Riley's scholarship for next year and paid for school himself, then offered him one the following year and gave him a freshman redshirt?

We're going up in price, but UNT still isn't all that expensive, especially if you're the coach and get (as a staff member) some waivers that make it cheaper for your kid anyway.

NCAA dictates the 5 years for 4 seasons rule whether you're on scholly or not. I'm not sure, but I think the clock starts ticking the moment you enroll.

Remember the guy this last season, I think it was Texas State (?), who came back after 20 years and used up his remaining season of eligibility? I think the clock only pauses when you're not enrolled in school. If you want to go that route, have Riley enroll and use a redshirt. He can practice, help further along this system, then take a couple years off from school. All the while he's still hanging with the players, tossing the ball around in their Denton home's back yard. He resumes school and play in 2011 - Vizza just graduated - and takes over the job as a 21 year-old redshirt freshman.

NCAA dictates the 5 years for 4 seasons rule whether you're on scholly or not. I'm not sure, but I think the clock starts ticking the moment you enroll.

The moment you enroll as a fulltime student the clock starts, you cannot stop the clock whether you are in school or not.

Remember the guy this last season, I think it was Texas State (?), who came back after 20 years and used up his remaining season of eligibility? I think the clock only pauses when you're not enrolled in school. If you want to go that route, have Riley enroll and use a redshirt. He can practice, help further along this system, then take a couple years off from school. All the while he's still hanging with the players, tossing the ball around in their Denton home's back yard. He resumes school and play in 2011 - Vizza just graduated - and takes over the job as a 21 year-old redshirt freshman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2986313

Rick