And Our New Dc Should Be...

unachris

…soon to be former SMU coach Phil Bennett.

Someone suggested this in another thread and like most of you probably did, I just dismissed it. That was before I did a little research.

Most of the people on the board are screaming for a DC with some DI-A college experience. Bennett was a DC at the DI-A level from 1983-2001 at multiple Big XII, Big Ten, and SEC schools. From 1999-2001 he was the DC at Kansas St. During those years their total defense ranked 2, 4, and 3 nationally and their scoring defense ranked 4, 17, and 7 nationally. Also, he was the DC at A&M from 1995-96. I could not find any stats on those defenses, but I remember the mid-90’s A&M teams having very good defenses and sending multiple players to the NFL. Also, during his time as a DC he coached the likes of Dat Nguyen, Mark Simoneau and Terence Newman. All of this is in addition to the 6 years of head coaching experience at SMU. If that is not DI-A coaching experience, I don’t know what is.

Another plus about Bennett is that he would bring any recruitment contacts he made at SMU with him. He would no doubt be able to help us recruit kids for both sides of the ball. Also, since he already lives in Dallas, he would have to uproot his family and move. This is one of the reasons we were able to get Dodge to come coach here, because he didn’t have to move.

All of this is assuming two big things, however. One, that we fire Mendoza. Two, that Bennett would take the pay cut to come coach here. I think the second one is a bigger concern than the first. He made almost $500,000 dollars at SMU this year and would not make nearly as much at UNT. The question is, does a big time program want him as a DC or has SMU ruined his reputation. If it has, then we might be able to get him. If it hasn’t, then we are probably out of luck.

He seems to fit everyone’s requirements and I don’t think we could do much better. What do you guys think? Would you want Bennett as our DC? Do you think we could actually get him?

Let me take the easy road and ask why you're looking at Bennett and not his DC?

The same reason why Todd Dodge gets the credit for our offense.. Obviously since Bennett had been brought in to SMU after being a D.C. at a few big 12 schools, he would be considered a defensive head coach.. that sure hasn't shown

Edited by Keith7

The same reason why Todd Dodge gets the credit for our offense.. Obviously since Bennett had been brought in to SMU after being a D.C. at a few big 12 schools, he would be considered a defensive head coach.. that sure hasn't shown

That's assuming that Barnett is overseeing the D as much as TD is overseeing our O, which would be a blind guess. Tim Hundley is wildly respected across all levels for his defensive mind, but UTEP has been horrendous the last couple years under his name...in fact, I'm not so sure he's had much to holler about while ever being on Price's staff. HCs can give or take all the power of a side of the ball to the coordinator. Bennett may very well have handed over the reigns completely...my guess is the latter, because he's proven it in the past that he can coach D. Which begs the question, why did he let it slip so far? That's as much a mystery to me as the Navy game results when we have Chuck Petersen on staff.

...personally, I'd like to see us give DeLoach a call pending the UCLA staff gets canned. Or how about giving Kenny Evans a shot?

Edited by greenminer

There was a guy named Hayden Fry who took a pay cut and came to NT from SMU. He did pretty well.

Coach Fry was let go from SMU (yes, he did take a pay cut but that's how being let go works) and came to UNT just to be able to beat SMU in a particular way. He turned out to like UNT and the rest is history. It would be great if Bennett followed in Coach Fry's footsteps!! It could happen.

If I was Dodge, I would try to find a proven D-1 AA defensive coach with a proven track record.

Ed Lynett Iona Defensive Coordinator--#1 team in TOTAL DEFENSE

Rick Flanders Yale Defensive Coordinator--#1 team in SCORING DEFENSE

…soon to be former SMU coach Phil Bennett.

Someone suggested this in another thread and like most of you probably did, I just dismissed it. That was before I did a little research.

Most of the people on the board are screaming for a DC with some DI-A college experience. Bennett was a DC at the DI-A level from 1983-2001 at multiple Big XII, Big Ten, and SEC schools. From 1999-2001 he was the DC at Kansas St. During those years their total defense ranked 2, 4, and 3 nationally and their scoring defense ranked 4, 17, and 7 nationally. Also, he was the DC at A&M from 1995-96. I could not find any stats on those defenses, but I remember the mid-90’s A&M teams having very good defenses and sending multiple players to the NFL. Also, during his time as a DC he coached the likes of Dat Nguyen, Mark Simoneau and Terence Newman. All of this is in addition to the 6 years of head coaching experience at SMU. If that is not DI-A coaching experience, I don’t know what is.

Another plus about Bennett is that he would bring any recruitment contacts he made at SMU with him. He would no doubt be able to help us recruit kids for both sides of the ball. Also, since he already lives in Dallas, he would have to uproot his family and move. This is one of the reasons we were able to get Dodge to come coach here, because he didn’t have to move.

All of this is assuming two big things, however. One, that we fire Mendoza. Two, that Bennett would take the pay cut to come coach here. I think the second one is a bigger concern than the first. He made almost $500,000 dollars at SMU this year and would not make nearly as much at UNT. The question is, does a big time program want him as a DC or has SMU ruined his reputation. If it has, then we might be able to get him. If it hasn’t, then we are probably out of luck.

He seems to fit everyone’s requirements and I don’t think we could do much better. What do you guys think? Would you want Bennett as our DC? Do you think we could actually get him?

Prob. a waste of a post because Mendoza is going nowhere and Bennett would have no desire taking a $400,000 pay cut. Give Mendoza a full season to recruit some players before trying to bag the guy.

Sounds like Bennett may very well consider it...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ap.1a726e5.html

Bennett said he's receiving phone calls on what he'll do next, which he said could include working as an assistant. But he's waiting until, "I get in a little better frame of mind. My focus has been in trying to finish this thing the right way."

One hopes Dodge is one of those ringing his phone...

Phil Bennett is not a single dad. He remarried a few years ago and his wife lives in the College Station area. She has a successful career there but I can't remember what she does.

He is definitely a classy guy and would be a good addition to someone's staff as a DC. I have heard speculation about Tech and A&M. Guess we'll know pretty soon.