New Orleans Bowl

drex

Check this Arkstfan post. It's possible CUSA won't provide the opponent for the NO Bowl this year !

Bowl Look Week 8

Posted by Administrator on October 23rd 2007 to General

Looking right now (really need another week or two of games)

-ACC is going to be close on whether they have a team for Boise. Two in BCS probably shorts Boise.

-Big East will fill their slots unless they place two in the BCS. If they place two Louisville has to finish at least 6-6 or Birmingham is short.

-Big 10 fill their slots and might have one or two that can go elsewhere at 7-5.

-Big 12 fills theirs unless they put a second team into the BCS, in which case Texas is short unless Colorado or Nebraska makes it to 6-6 or better.

-CUSA will likely short one or two games. Who knows who they will short between New Orleans, Texas, Hawaii, and Birmingham (my guess is Hawaii except that its run by ESPN). I think you see a dog fight between New Orleans, Texas, and Birmingham to be shorted if they feel sure they can get a Big 10 team.

-MAC will fill their slots and you may see CUSA short Birmingham which send the MAC there to play the Big East because they have a contract to fill any open slots there. May not have 7-5 to go anywhere else.

-MWC will fill their four. Question is can they get a fifth or sixth team at 7-5 or better to ship out.

-Pac-10 fills their slots as long as they don’t get two in the BCS, in which case Fort Worth will be short unless Stanford can get to 6-6.

-WAC could be short if Hawaii makes it to 12 or better in the BCS standings probably leaving Hawaii open.

Remember this about the BCS. There are 10 slots. Six are guaranteed to the six conference champs and unless Hawaii cracks the to 12 there will be four at-large spots. BCS rules provide that only 2 teams from any conference can go to the BCS so based on the current standings, four of these five will send two teams: ACC, Big East, Big 12, Pac-10, and SEC.

Bowls in danger of being short:

Boise, Birmingham, Texas, Fort Worth, New Orleans, Hawaii.

Just an early guess but I suspect the Big 10 will end up sending a team either to Houston to fill in for CUSA against the Big 12 or to New Orleans for CUSA.

Tulsa, UH and UCF could all "hang" with Troy if any were to go to the NO Bowl.

I suspect UH will be in the liberty bowl once again. They scared the hell out of Bama on the road, played a solid game against top 10 Oregon on the road before the turnover monster got a hold of them. One thing they have that i want is ridiculous amounts of speed at the skill positions.

Id love to see C-USA replaced with an ACC team.

Yep, and unfortunately, their fastest player is none other than Denton High's own Anthony Aldridge. I don't think NT even sniffed him.

yeah he's ridiculous. had the pleasure of watching him go off on Rice a couple weeks ago. he's something special. They've also got a WR, Avery, that is actually a step faster than Alridge.

Regarding the Troy fellatio-fest that has flooded the board since our embarrassment, everyone should remember they turned the ball over 7 times in that game. Had they been playing a good team with any semblance of an offense, they would have had a tough time winning- regardless of whether or not they got respect in the top 25 poll.

Edited by Eagle1855

Tulsa, UH and UCF could all "hang" with Troy if any were to go to the NO Bowl.

I suspect UH will be in the liberty bowl once again. They scared the hell out of Bama on the road, played a solid game against top 10 Oregon on the road before the turnover monster got a hold of them. One thing they have that i want is ridiculous amounts of speed at the skill positions.

Id love to see C-USA replaced with an ACC team.

FYI, UTEP beat Tulsa this year and has UH at the Sun Bowl this weekend. Should be an amazing game. UTEP has a redshirt frosh @ QB who is absolutely tearing it up. The kid from Euliss a couple years ago...anyone remember Trevor Vittatoe? Probably not...that program flings it around maybe 30 times a year.

Edited by greenminer

FYI, UTEP beat Tulsa this year and has UH at the Sun Bowl this weekend. Should be an amazing game. UTEP has a redshirt frosh @ QB who is absolutely tearing it up. The kid from Euliss a couple years ago...anyone remember Trevor Vittatoe? Probably not...that program flings it around maybe 30 times a year.

It's always good to see a home town favorite like Vittatoe doing well for himself; honestly, he's a good all around guy, and has worked very hard to get where he is. Like you say, Trinity isn't real pass happy, but Vittatoe made opponents respect the pass, which helped the running game work. Trinity coach Lineweaver knows you have to pass to win championships. I thought these game highlights from last weekend, Trinity vs. previously unbeaten Irving MacArthur, give a good idea of Trinity's offense this year. I was skeptical of a small guy like Samir Baker (20) at RB, but the guy can find the end zone!

Here's the link; type "76040" for the zip code.

Trinity vs Irving MacArthur, Oct. 20, 2007

I remember Vittatoe. He wanted to come here but nobody on the staff at the time would recruit him.

PHSCoach, I'm sorry but I am going to have to disagree with you. FAU does have the speed to match up on us, but they DO NOT have the better secondary. Troy's Leodis McKelvin is an All-American candidate leading the nation in punt return yardage and touchdowns, and is a lock down corner. He held Calvin Johnson to 2 catches for 9 yards last season and kept Jarrett Dillard out of the offensive production for Rice in the N.O. Bowl. He has had a great year this year and looks to continue the trend of outstanding play. Elbert Mack anchors the opposite side, a speedy athletic defender not afraid to hit. If it weren't for McKelvin, Mack would be the number one 'back, he has all the intangibles to play at the next level so he choose. Best of luck to any receivers who have to play against these two, no one in the Belt has been able to do much against them in the past two seasons.