Any News On The Smu Coach's Status?

OldTimer

Earlier in the season it sounded like SMU's coach was on the hot seat. They expected to be in a bowl game this year.

As of last Saturday...SMU has won 1 game (against NT) and lost 5 with six games to go against:

Tulane, Tulsa, UH, Rice, UCF , Memphis

They could wind up with one more win against Tulane, but they will have problems with Tulsa, UH, Rice, UCF and Memphis which doesn't sound good for him. I'm obviously not a SMU fan, but have respect for their coach and do not wish him harm. If he finishes 2 wins and 10 losses this year.. that will make him 18 wins against 45 losses..in 6 years.

My Question: How does their situation effect NT recruiting....? or does it.

Four or fewer wins for SMU will result in the end for Bennett for sure, 5 wins will probably get the job done.

This could do great things for our recruiting. It takes down a competing recruiter for a year or two, unless they hire a big name coach. It might sway some of the 2008 commits and maybe even some of the freshmen or sophomore players to switch/transfer to UNT. I also think we might benefit from the Fran firing as well.

It takes down a competing recruiter for a year or two, unless they hire a big name coach. It might sway some of the 2008 commits and maybe even some of the freshmen or sophomore players to switch/transfer to UNT. I also think we might benefit from the Fran firing as well.

SMU cant AFFORD to hire a big name coach. For that reason, it'll be interesting to see the names that surface.

A&M, however, most certainly will. If they were willing to pay a basketball coach that much, you can be certain they'll back the Brinks truck up to whoever they have their eyes set on. They are tired of losing. Im thinking a certain Auburn coach might be interested...

The DMN speculation has begun...

http://colleges.beloblog.com/archives/2007...next_coach.html

Phil Bennett's farewell from SMU is all but official. It's time to stick a For Sale sign in the yard when the AD says he won't engage in public speculation when a 1-5 team still has a chance of making a bowl.

Time to turn the page, Ponies, and start looking at candidates to be your next coach. Oh, you've been doing that for a couple years? Well, here's my contribution, based on rumor-mongering and pure speculation.

Dennis Franchione: Coach Fran might want to take some time off after his disastrous tenure in Aggieland ends, but he'd be a great fit at SMU. For all his failures at A&M, Fran proved at New Mexico and TCU that he can breathe life into a bad mid-major program. Fits AD Steve Orsini's M.O. of hiring a high-profile coach who hit tough times.

Paul Johnson: It'd be pretty cool if the Ponies returned to their option roots. Johnson, who has turned around a downtrodden Navy program, is the premier option coach in the country.

Terry Bowden: The man who went undefeated at Auburn in 1993 has made it clear he wants back in coaching after spending several years at ABC. Word is he'd hop on the SMU job.

Major Applewhite: Hiring the ex-Texas QB would create a huge buzz. But would Applewhite be ready for a head coaching gig after two years as an offensive coordinator? And would he want the SMU job or rather wait for something better?

Dave Christensen: Mizzou offensive coordinator is a hot name, thanks in large part to ex-Southlake Carroll QB Chase Daniel.

Rick Neuheisel: Fits Orsini's profile of big name who had a messy exit at his last head coaching stop. But Neuheisel probably step down as the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator to take over SMU.

Bob Davie: Ex-Notre Dame coach is a name folks would recognize, and he recruited this state for years as Texas A&M's defensive coordinator.

Gary Barnett: If you can win at Northwestern, you can win anywhere. Not sure if the SMU administration would accept a coach with the baggage Barnett would bring from Colorado.

Jon Tenuta: The associate head coach and defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech briefly crossed paths with Orsini in Atlanta. Spent six post-Death Penalty seasons as an SMU assistant.

G.A. Moore: The winningest coach in Texas high school history proved himself as a premier recruiter time and time again. Most of his success came at the Class 2A level, but Conference USA really isn't much of a jump.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 11:32 AM (E-mail this entry

Edited by Quoner

My Question: How does their situation effect NT recruiting....? or does it.

If anything it should help us but you never know. We competed with them for some kids who may see the instability and switch but If smu does spend some money to bring in a name it could lead to an attack on some of our commitments.

How much might the possible Fran firing at AtM affect our recruiting?

I dont think it will affect us much. They are gonna bring in a big name guy thats going to reinvigorate the program, much like Dodge has done for us. I think firing Fran will actually HELP their 08 class. Word is, A&M has already reached a buyout deal with Fran. Guess you can kiss this season goodbye, if you're an Ag fan.

I dont think it will affect us much. They are gonna bring in a big name guy thats going to reinvigorate the program, much like Dodge has done for us. I think firing Fran will actually HELP their 08 class. Word is, A&M has already reached a buyout deal with Fran. Guess you can kiss this season goodbye, if you're an Ag fan.

The Longhorns I've been around today seem pretty sad to see him go.

Bennett is fired at the end of the year.

Word on the street is they are already interviewing.

Add LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini or offensive coordinator Gary Crowter to the list. I have it from a reliable source that one of those guys is in the mix.

Edited by MeanMag

Just heard that Fran and A&M reached an agreement on a buyout. I guarantee A&M already has another coach already lined up if they did.

edit: However, I don't know how credible this is..

Norm broke this story this morning and cited his sources at A&M. No one else has verified it yet. But, it's Norm.

... with six games to go against:

Tulane, Tulsa, UH, Rice, UCF , Memphis

They could wind up with one more win against Tulane, but they will have problems with Tulsa, UH, Rice, UCF and Memphis

Not to go all Green Wave on you, old man, but isn't Rice 1-4, the same as Tulane? And Memphis is 2-4, while only Tulsa is above .500 out of SMU's remaining schedule.

As per your question, I suspect it all depends on who SMU hires. I would expect PB to be canned, unless then win out. When UNT went up on SMU at Ford, I heard several SMU fans calling for their coach's head. I suspect it is worse now.

If SMU brings in a new coach and that generates excitement, then I would expect that would be worse for UNT in terms of recruiting than if they keep the status quo. However, I don't think SMU recruiting better is necessarily a bad thing for UNT. In my view, if SMU and TCU can improve that will only help other non-BCS schools to improve, as well, as it will fortify in recruits' minds that one doesn't have to go to UT, OU, et al to achieve success and national recognition. See Boise State's win over OU last year in a BCS Bowl.

Jimbo Fisher still wants a Head Coaching gig. It was either Memphis or UAB (can't remember which one) - but one of them had a deal with him for $500K and their BOR/BOT poopoo'd the contract. SMU is paying Bennet something around the figure now - I would guess that they would be willing to pay about the same for a Jimbo Fisher. As for recruiting - it would depend on the coach. Dodge is a great recruiter because all of these kids have looked up to Carroll for all of these years. They want to play for the master. Now - let's say that SMU brings in T Bowden... would kids in this area flock to that program? Eh, I really don't think so. SMU isn't going to beat Nav's contract and pay over a million a year - Dildo Mackman can forget about that. A few of those names might help a little bit for recruiting "nationally" - but locally... eh... I don't see any candidate that could hurt Dodge. At least not now. A few years from now, when Dodge's name is not such a well-known high school name, then his college wins will have to speak for his ability. For now, his name carries a LOT of weight in Texas.

Any News On The SMU Coach's Status?

Coach Bennett's career has recently received a visit from the nursing home cat.

oscarandpb.jpg

I wonder what it means?

:P

LOL. SMUt will be labeled a deadend job. They may be able to get an older recycled coach but rising young coaches will pass on it.

Oh, and I forgot to comment on the A&M situation. The Director of Academic Affairs for the University where I work is very involved with aTm, he is a proud alumnus and big time booster. He is such a big booster that he was getting the infamous newsletter. He told me at work today that the buyout has gone down already and will be announced within the next couple of weeks. He also said that the new coach will either be Jeff Tedford (Cal) or Tommy Tuberville (Auburn), just like the rumours say.... but then again, you never really know how important someone is and how credible their information is. I had someone that I know to be very close to our AD swear up and down that Jimbo Fisher would be our new coach last year, lol

--One of my son (an Aggie) has mentioned to me that Fran violated his contract by doing the newsletter and that the 10-year deal they made with him is now in question because of it. They may not owe him a whole lot after all.