Fire Mendoza!

MeanGreenBuzz

This game was obviously a fluke. He got lucky and some guys over played their talent level. Dodge himself was probably calling all the defensive plays. It couldn't possibly be that he was intalling his defense little by little over the beginning of the season. No way. We saw everything he had to offer in the first 5 games. Fire him now!

Get real people you can never tell what a coach has to offer in the first 5 games so stop being so over dramatic and calling for heads after 5 games of a new regime. I hope this game and the rest of this season teaches some of you hot heads a lesson in patience.

Not to mention that two of those games were against national powerhouses in the middle of breeding grounds for upper echelon players.

Woe is us. We had to play big bad BCS D-1 schools.

I long for the day when we don't disclaimer losses. We are also in the middle of breeding grounds for the most upper echelon players in the nation.

Not an attack on you Bryan, I just get frustrated when we try to make excuses for ourselves.

I agree we can recruit better in this area, but we HAVE to stop playing multiple games against dominant D1 programs. Let's play one money game a year and stop getting killed by multiple teams we have no business playing.

We are a D1 program. We (our university, fans, players, and coaches) should want to play and be competitive against these programs. Avoiding them will not change the fact that we, along with every other non-BCS school are already perceived as not being on the same level. I am not saying we play Notre Dame's schedule, but we don't need to complain about playing 1 Top 25 team, and an SEC team in a season. It is our business to play a D-1 schedule, with real, honest to god D-1 teams.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board, good to see you posting. I'm not trying to be an ass, and apologize if my post sounds like I am.

Edited by MeanMag

We are a D1 program. We (our university, fans, players, and coaches) should want to play and be competitive against these programs. Avoiding them will not change the fact that we, along with every other non-BCS school are already perceived as not being on the same level. I am not saying we play Notre Dame's schedule, but we don't need to complain about playing 1 Top 25 team, and an SEC team in a season. It is our business to play a D-1 schedule, will real, honest to god D-1 teams.

So we continue to dig ourselves out of a hole every year? Let's prove we can win consistently and then play the good programs. I want to see this program move up and play these teams eventually, but not now. Let's give a our player's a winning atmosphere.

We are a D1 program. We (our university, fans, players, and coaches) should want to play and be competitive against these programs. Avoiding them will not change the fact that we, along with every other non-BCS school are already perceived as not being on the same level. I am not saying we play Notre Dame's schedule, but we don't need to complain about playing 1 Top 25 team, and an SEC team in a season. It is our business to play a D-1 schedule, will real, honest to god D-1 teams.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board, good to see you posting. I'm not trying to be an ass, and apologize if my post sounds like I am.

and in response to your edit. No hard feelings at least the people on this board care and want to see us succeed.

So we continue to dig ourselves out of a hole every year? Let's prove we can win consistently and then play the good programs. I want to see this program move up and play these teams eventually, but not now. Let's give a our player's a winning atmosphere.

We played 2 games where the odds of winning were grossly not in our favor. We have lost 5 games. I do not think anyone would consider wins against SMU, FAU, and Lafayette and losses against OU and Ark. to be a hole. To give our players a winning atmosphere at this point, we need to focus on getting wins against the 3 mentioned prior that we had a reasonable shot to win.

If we were 4-2 right now, everyone would know why we had 2 losses, and no one involved with our program would be able to hang their head about getting beat by these perennials. And no one outside the program would consider us a bad team for it. And, given the circumstances, we'd have a reasonable chance at going 10-2. It would be a winning atmosphere. We will get there, and we have been there.

If we were able to knock one of them off, keep it close, or have an amazingly entertaining showing against them, it helps in recruiting. I want to continue to play 1 or 2 a year, to (1) gauge our progress, (2) to give our players a chance to do something amazing, (3) to set a goal for the university to shoot for. Tell me, when you walk into a stadium and atmosphere like OU and Arkansas, that you don't want UNT to be there. It is very important for this program to be able to have that chance, otherwise we can wipe them all off, and go back to being a big fish in a small pond in D-1AA, or whatever it is called now.

For you TY boys, see if you can interview a current or former player about their opinion of these games and schedules. I might be able to get you a former QB. Or maybe Quoner can confront the greatest affection of his eye and interview JQ. I doubt any player would want to wipe those games completely off the schedule.

We played 2 games where the odds of winning were grossly not in our favor. We have lost 5 games. I do not think anyone would consider wins against SMU, FAU, and Lafayette and losses against OU and Ark. to be a hole. To give our players a winning atmosphere at this point, we need to focus on getting wins against the 3 mentioned prior that we had a reasonable shot to win.

If we were 4-2 right now, everyone would know why we had 2 losses, and no one involved with our program would be able to hang their head about getting beat by these perennials. And no one outside the program would consider us a bad team for it. And, given the circumstances, we'd have a reasonable chance at going 10-2. It would be a winning atmosphere. We will get there, and we have been there.

If we were able to knock one of them off, keep it close, or have an amazingly entertaining showing against them, it helps in recruiting. I want to continue to play 1 or 2 a year, to (1) gauge our progress, (2) to give our players a chance to do something amazing, (3) to set a goal for the university to shoot for. Tell me, when you walk into a stadium and atmosphere like OU and Arkansas, that you don't want UNT to be there. It is very important for this program to be able to have that chance, otherwise we can wipe them all off, and go back to being a big fish in a small pond in D-1AA, or whatever it is called now.

For you TY boys, see if you can interview a current or former player about their opinion of these games and schedules. I might be able to get you a former QB. Or maybe Quoner can confront the greatest affection of his eye and interview JQ. I doubt any player would want to wipe those games completely off the schedule.

I agree with you I want to see all of those opportunities for our school and players as well. I know the players want to play the big programs. All I am saying is lets limit it to one game a year.

Realistically though looking at where this program is right now and if you looked at the schedule at the beginning of the year any rational football fan would say we had four losses right off the bat. SMU was supposed to be a bowl team. Ok and Ark are obviously going to beat us and Navy for all practical purposes should base on their program. Not to mention some solid conference teams.

nope just do not understand why it is not feasible for some to believe that giving up 50 pts a game and 600 yds is not acceptable, new scheme or not.

No one was forgiving Mendoza. Those that were in favor of him staying (not that he was going to be fired anyways) did, however want to see some real production, and that's what we got tonight. I'm eager to see how his guys perform in the coming weeks, because that was some exciting defense.

And no one is "accepting" those kinds of losses. I'm pretty sure Coach Mendoza wasn't happy about it, so I'm sure he didn't accept it and no one did. We tried to find reasons for them, but nothing saying that he can foul up as big as he wants to and we'll let it slide.

Enjoy the win, everyone, hope for more, support the team.

nope just do not understand why it is not feasible for some to believe that giving up 50 pts a game and 600 yds is not acceptable, new scheme or not.

Who ever said anything about acceptable? I am pretty sure I didn't. What I did say and what I have said is that a coach should be given time to fully implement and teach his style of defense before we start demanding he be fired. Yes his defense was simplistic at OU. I am 100% positive that was the plan by both him and Coach Dodge. Since the beginning of the season winning the Belt was the plan not beating OU and Arkansas. Did you ever think that maybe they chose not use all of the defensive plays all at once but phase them in over the first 3-5 games? If you look at the play calling and defensive schemes used against ULM there was a drastic change from the first game of the season at OU. I know everyone is pissed about giving Dickey 9 years but jesus give Dodge and company more than 9 months. I am sure if a change was TRUELY warranted Dodge himself would make it. I implore everyone on this board to have some patience with this team and this staff, enjoy the season, and see the bright future that is ahead of Mean Green Football istead of being so short sighted. The big plan isn't if we can beat Troy next week it is winning the belt on a regular basis and taking top teams like OU down and Dodge and Co. know that and are working for that.