My Final Post On Bb Practice

GreenBat

Just received a follow up call from Stephen Howard. He just got off the phone with Coach Jones. There is NO, repeat NO problem with fans stopping by practice on Friday night or Saturday afternoon. They just don’t advertise that practice is open to the public. If a group of fans want to attend Friday’s practice they are more than welcome.

I explained to Stephen Howard there was quite a bit of interest in this year’s team because of the tournament appearance and he said he was sorry for the mis- information that came out in the Star-Telegram and that his original response further confused the situation. This is a direct quote “Practices are not technically, open to the public, but Coach Jones does not mind if fans want to come watch. In fact he’s thrilled they care enough to watch practice.”

So if you would like to attend practice on Friday. It runs from 7-9 p.m.

And if some fans want to go over to the Super Pit before they tailgate, practice is from Noon-3 p.m.

Coach Jones welcomes you and thanks you for your attendance, but ask that you do not interrupt practice.

Brett (GreenBat) Tulloss

Good, the folks are not quite as "backward" and "fan friendly challenged" as it appeared...glad we got the "other side of the story"...there always is one..

NOW...why just "allow" folks to come if they don't interrupt practice on the first day of practice? Why not turn it into a media and fan event with tickets available for sale, autograph sessions, face tattoos by the cheerleaders, some games for the kids with the teams...both men's and women's...why not a joint opening practice with the men and women? How about a friendly scrimmage with the teams split so there would be a co-ed team playing a co-ed team for say 10 minutes? That might be alot of fun! O.K., so I am thinking like a sales guy, but we need to do more than we are to sell UNT ATHLETICS!

Way to go guys...open it up...but make it an EVENT!

Just received a follow up call from Stephen Howard. He just got off the phone with Coach Jones. There is NO, repeat NO problem with fans stopping by practice on Friday night or Saturday afternoon. They just don’t advertise that practice is open to the public. If a group of fans want to attend Friday’s practice they are more than welcome.

I explained to Stephen Howard there was quite a bit of interest in this year’s team because of the tournament appearance and he said he was sorry for the mis- information that came out in the Star-Telegram and that his original response further confused the situation. This is a direct quote “Practices are not technically, open to the public, but Coach Jones does not mind if fans want to come watch. In fact he’s thrilled they care enough to watch practice.”

So if you would like to attend practice on Friday. It runs from 7-9 p.m.

And if some fans want to go over to the Super Pit before they tailgate, practice is from Noon-3 p.m.

Coach Jones welcomes you and thanks you for your attendance, but ask that you do not interrupt practice.

Brett (GreenBat) Tulloss

Thanks for the clarification. UNT should never discourage a fan from wanting to watch anything, we need all we can get! When we're in the Big12 or have Fran's secret email going then we can close things. :ph34r:

I hate Stephen Howard.

Stephen is really a nice guy. He spent about 10 minutes with me on my first conversation and then spent another 10 or so minutes when he called me back. This all started when the Star-Telegram reporter took on himself to write it was open to fans. Stephen just wanted to make sure a bunch of people showed up expecting something big and being disappointed. The only reason I made a call, was I didn't want any more incorrect information getting out.

Stephen is a really good guy and we are lucky to have him.

Stephen is really a nice guy. He spent about 10 minutes with me on my first conversation and then spent another 10 or so minutes when he called me back. This all started when the Star-Telegram reporter took on himself to write it was open to fans. Stephen just wanted to make sure a bunch of people showed up expecting something big and being disappointed. The only reason I made a call, was I didn't want any more incorrect information getting out.

Stephen is a really good guy and we are lucky to have him.

To really clarify for fans that saw it in the FWST, they need the FWST to admit their error and print the clarification then add it to the official site, otherwise only if you read this board (or the secret emails) do you get the real info.

To really clarify for fans that saw it in the FWST, they need the FWST to admit their error and print the clarification then add it to the official site, otherwise only if you read this board (or the secret emails) do you get the real info.

They are printing a correction in tomorrows paper.

Good, the folks are not quite as "backward" and "fan friendly challenged" as it appeared...glad we got the "other side of the story"...there always is one..

NOW...why just "allow" folks to come if they don't interrupt practice on the first day of practice? Why not turn it into a media and fan event with tickets available for sale, autograph sessions, face tattoos by the cheerleaders, some games for the kids with the teams...both men's and women's...why not a joint opening practice with the men and women? How about a friendly scrimmage with the teams split so there would be a co-ed team playing a co-ed team for say 10 minutes? That might be alot of fun! O.K., so I am thinking like a sales guy, but we need to do more than we are to sell UNT ATHLETICS!

Way to go guys...open it up...but make it an EVENT!

You have to be kidding...

Practice is an event?

I hope there is much sarcasm in your post.

To Quote Allen Iverson....

"Practice, We're talking about PRACTICE! Practice!"

jk

I used to go to alot fo the practices and just sit quietly in the upper bowl and observe back in the day of the Mighty Bracy.... Its pretty interesting if you know anything about basketball past basic knowledge. They should definitely have a "Fan Jam" or something like that.

Marketing a Midnight Madness is not nearly as important as Marketing the fact that we have our frist home game on November 10th after the football game. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO TO GET PEOPLE FROM THE STADIUM OVER TO THE PIT....

We are hanging the championship banner that night.... lets Worry about packing the pit THAT night and not for practice!!!!!

You get "rears in the seats" by being fan friendly and by winning...UNT did the winning thing last year...YIPPEE! But, they still lag in the "fan friendly" dept. The first day "ain't all about practice"..... You think we have so many empty seats at the Super Pit because we don't practice enough????? Maybe the seats are not as full as we would like or need because the effort isn't there to get the folks to part with the precious few "entertainment dollars" they have today...A little more hype, a little more PR, a little more "fan friendly" atmosphere and I'd bet you would fill some more seats and make for a better "home crowd"...that's worth a few points in every game.

But, then, what do I know...I guess it's "all about practice". Where can I get season tickets to practice?????? :lol:

You get "rears in the seats" by being fan friendly and by winning...UNT did the winning thing last year...YIPPEE! But, they still lag in the "fan friendly" dept. The first day "ain't all about practice"..... You think we have so many empty seats at the Super Pit because we don't practice enough????? Maybe the seats are not as full as we would like or need because the effort isn't there to get the folks to part with the precious few "entertainment dollars" they have today...A little more hype, a little more PR, a little more "fan friendly" atmosphere and I'd bet you would fill some more seats and make for a better "home crowd"...that's worth a few points in every game.

But, then, what do I know...I guess it's "all about practice". Where can I get season tickets to practice?????? :lol:

And Midnight Madness and hyping the Green-White game (which I'm just going to assume is still on Homecoming Saturday before the football game since no one wanted to get back to me <_< ) are the ways to do this. Midnight Madness accomidates a packed house almost everywhere...a slam dunk contest between Harold Stewart and Adam McCoy, a 3pt shootout between Collin Dennis and Dez Willingham, a free throw contest between Ben Bell and Justin Howerton (wait...not that one)...this is what will sell seats...or in most cases just fill seats with students WHO GET IN FREE!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Censored by Laurie

To Quote Allen Iverson....

"Practice, We're talking about PRACTICE! Practice!"

:lol:

Marketing a Midnight Madness is not nearly as important as Marketing the fact that we have our frist home game on November 10th after the football game. WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO TO GET PEOPLE FROM THE STADIUM OVER TO THE PIT....

We are hanging the championship banner that night.... lets Worry about packing the pit THAT night and not for practice!!!!!

No kidding. I'd leave early from the Navy game if I have to....we don't raise banners often at the SuperPit - this ain't Rupp or the Dean Dome here.

Oh you guys are right....I'm sorry. We couldn't possibly have had an event tonight to arouse interest and kick things off AND have a banner ceremony on November 10....as well.

My bad...sometimes I forget and think that I'm following a Division I sports program.

I wasn't saying that SUMG. Obviously I'd prefer that we publicize both and make them big deals. However, if resorces are as scarce as they seem(and yes I know the AD has limited money - the MGC isn't early large enough) to be we should focus on one or the other. That's all I was trying to say...

The problem is we don't do EITHER. No publicity for the 1st game...no big time March Madness event...no nothing. I'll take baby steps for now. ;)

Edited by CMJ

SUMG I think i was misunderstood... you know me well enough to know I am ALL ABOUT basketball... moreso than I am about football... We have discussed the lack of attention the AD gives basketball 100 times in the past. I would LOVE to see a midnight madness, but the fact that it has been mentioned and talked about in the AD for years with no resolve worries me... I know we won't do Midnight Madness and I worry that we wont market the Banner hanging.

The Allen Iverson quote was just in good fun.... I think he is a spare and that whole press conference event he pulled was ridiculous....

SUMG I think i was misunderstood... you know me well enough to know I am ALL ABOUT basketball... moreso than I am about football... We have discussed the lack of attention the AD gives basketball 100 times in the past. I would LOVE to see a midnight madness, but the fact that it has been mentioned and talked about in the AD for years with no resolve worries me... I know we won't do Midnight Madness and I worry that we wont market the Banner hanging.

The Allen Iverson quote was just in good fun.... I think he is a spare and that whole press conference event he pulled was ridiculous....

I'm going to have to defend SUMG from these attacks...

Oh, don't say that....I think it's the best press conference rant of all time(better than "We play to win the game", "Playoffs?" or any Bob Knight one). :lol::lol:

CMJ and UNT 92......sorry if I misinterpreted your responses. I know that you both are great fans.....and that we all tend to get frustrated by the way UNT hoops is treated like the ugly stepchild.

Anyway, I'll be at the practice tonight---am glad that it is now at least open. I'll report back on how the guys look.