Future Schedules

I have been looking around for more info on other schools' future schedules to see if there is any indication about possible OOC games for NT in the coming years.

The best thing that I have found is that we don't appear to be on LSU's and Texas' future schedules!

Does anyone know of a site that has a composite schedule for announced games? Seems like someone posted on a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it.

OOC Future Opponents

2008 Opponents :

vs. Rice TBA

@ Miami 10/20

@ Kansas State 10/27

2009 Opponents :

vs. Air Force TBA

@ LSU 10/05

2010 Opponents :

@ Clemson TBA

vs.Kansas State 10/25

2012 Opponents:

@Kansas State 10/15

I suspect we will return to Rice in either 09 or 10 ; If we do not have a new stadium for the home games for Air Force in 09 & K-State in 10 I worry that those could be in jeopardy

Edited by NT03

The second site you link shows Tech coming to SMU again in 2008. Would Tech ever agree to this?

Seems like I read somewhere the other day the Tech and SMU signed another 4 year, home-and-home contract. So, yes, I think Tech would, and has, already agreed to that. However, if they can ever get the details on the OSU game at Jerry World hammered out, they might renege on their SMU deal.

Seems like I read somewhere the other day the Tech and SMU signed another 4 year, home-and-home contract. So, yes, I think Tech would, and has, already agreed to that. However, if they can ever get the details on the OSU game at Jerry World hammered out, they might renege on their SMU deal.

Found the article, 2007 Football Schedule Announced, I mentioned before. Here's the section I referenced:

The Red Raiders will open the season on the road at SMU on Sept. 1 in the first year of a new four-year contract, which will feature home games on alternating years. The second game of a two-year deal with UTEP takes place in the home opener on Sept. 8, while a new two-year agreement with former SWC foe Rice begins in Houston on Sept. 15. The Owls will return the game in 2008. In the final non-conference game, the Red Raiders will host Northwestern (La.) State on Sept. 29.

I guess this means that SMU, TCU, or Baylor are not going to be on our future schedules anymore. This is one of my fears, that with Dodgeball in action, that the local schools will no longer play us until they know that UNT will not give them a competitive game, i.e. UNT can't beat them. All of those schools, as well as Tech, have either lost to us, or like TCU, could have lost to us if we had an offensive plan that didn't involve a give-up, run-until-the-clock-stops attitude. There is just no way that we shouldn't play at least one of these teams EVERY year, but I am afraid that after this season, it may not happen again for many years. :angry:

I guess this means that SMU, TCU, or Baylor are not going to be on our future schedules anymore. This is one of my fears, that with Dodgeball in action, that the local schools will no longer play us until they know that UNT will not give them a competitive game, i.e. UNT can't beat them. All of those schools, as well as Tech, have either lost to us, or like TCU, could have lost to us if we had an offensive plan that didn't involve a give-up, run-until-the-clock-stops attitude. There is just no way that we shouldn't play at least one of these teams EVERY year, but I am afraid that after this season, it may not happen again for many years. :angry:

my fear exactly.....If we are going to play the big boys, let it be the big boys on our block (Texas, TCU, OU, A@M, TT) and not Miami, Clemson K-St ..etc....

my fear exactly.....If we are going to play the big boys, let it be the big boys on our block (Texas, TCU, OU, A@M, TT) and not Miami, Clemson K-St ..etc....

If DODGE can turn this thing around , going to Clemson,K-State could be a benefit in recruiting I think. Everyone in OK & TX already knows who he is.

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's too early to tell if the Dodge reputation will shoo the Texas teams away. My feelings are that if they are afraid to lose then they would never schedule us unless forced to by future conference affiliation.

It is also possible that a CUSA, Big 12, or MWC team might show up as an addition to future schedules (although it may not be SMU, Baylor, or TCU). If Miami has been dropped from the 2008 schedule, then there are no more than two of the four OOC slots filled for any one year, and one of our 2008 home games is Rice, another Texas 1A team.

Personally, I'd like to see us sign a four year deal with Houston. They are like us in many ways and maybe Dodge's friendship with Art Briles can help pull it off.

But, what I'd really like to see would be playing TCU and SMU EVERY year for a true Metroplex Championship.

It's too early to tell if the Dodge reputation will shoo the Texas teams away. My feelings are that if they are afraid to lose then they would never schedule us unless forced to by future conference affiliation.

It is also possible that a CUSA, Big 12, or MWC team might show up as an addition to future schedules (although it may not be SMU, Baylor, or TCU). If Miami has been dropped from the 2008 schedule, then there are no more than two of the four OOC slots filled for any one year, and one of our 2008 home games is Rice, another Texas 1A team.

Personally, I'd like to see us sign a four year deal with Houston. They are like us in many ways and maybe Dodge's friendship with Art Briles can help pull it off.

But, what I'd really like to see would be playing TCU and SMU EVERY year for a true Metroplex Championship.

Playing Houston, UTEP, Tulsa, La Tech, Tulane, New Mexico State, or New Mexico would at least help get more fans interested in travel, as well as getting some return games to Fouts. If this can be done, I would look at getting games like this scheduled if you can't get the local schools to play anymore. My guess is that SMU and TCU will go another decade or so without even looking our way--much like Tech did after our 5 year run against them cost them 2 games. I would love to see us try to schedule a big game each year at Texas Stadium/Jerry World again, but this time against an opponent that could use the game for their own recruiting--i.e. BCS school from anywhere other than the Big XII. I mean a school like Virginia Tech or Arizona State or Iowa might have an interest in a 2 for 1 that involved a game in Dallas. In a perfect world, a new stadium in Denton to fit this type of game would be here soon--but I think we all realize that it will be sometime. And, if it is only 30-35K in Denton when built, that still may not be enough to give some of those teams enough reasons to come down here. It is hard to say, but I know that a game in JerryWorld against a ranked BCS name program would get some attention. Imagine an 8th ranked Va Tech team coming here for a game against UNT or an 11th ranked Wisconsin team coming to Texas Stadium to play us? If you can win a game or two in this scenario, granted it would be extremely tough, it would lead to some major changes in Denton and in the conference-affiliation front. This is much easier than doing the current game of playing OU, LSU, Arky, Texas, or Miami(?) on the road and praying that we can steal a game against them. Granted, you might just steal one, but it would be great to have a return game built in with a name program within 30 miles of campus, too, if you do get killed in the large BCS-school's stadium to start the year. Thoughts?

It's too early to tell if the Dodge reputation will shoo the Texas teams away.

It's WAAAAYYY too early to be thinking that any Texas school is afraid to play us, except maybe SMU. We're coming off back to back 9 loss seasons and most pre-season football publications have us ranked in the bottom 10 of all 119 D-1A football schools. I know, I know...they're just sports writers...what do they know??? Well, we're probably a little biased in our opinions too because of all that green koolaid we've been drinking.

Like most everyone, I think Dodge can get us going in the right direction, but a winning record this season might be a pipe dream. Five to six wins would be a success. Considering we play W. Kentucky, seven wins might not be out of the question, but if we win eight to ten games I will be absolutely astonished. Now I'll admit that I was a major DD basher last year and I said that any good coach should be able to consistently win the SBC while at the helm of UNT. I still believe that but I think it wil take TD a year before he's able to accomplish that feat. The belt is getting better but we should still expect to dominate every year...except maybe this one transition year.

Like most everyone, I think Dodge can get us going in the right direction, but a winning record this season might be a pipe dream. Five to six wins would be a success. Considering we play W. Kentucky, seven wins might not be out of the question, but if we win eight to ten games I will be absolutely astonished. Now I'll admit that I was a major DD basher last year and I said that any good coach should be able to consistently win the SBC while at the helm of UNT. I still believe that but I think it wil take TD a year before he's able to accomplish that feat. The belt is getting better but we should still expect to dominate every year...except maybe this one transition year.

That's pretty much exactly what Vitto said in Barbershop Podcast #21. You must be thinking like a sports writer.