Nt Web Site..2nd Week Of Practice Underway

OldTimer

Second Week Of Practice Underway

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 08/13/2007

Courtesy: University of North Texas

http://www.meangreensports.com/

DENTON, Tex. (8/13/07) – Scorching temperatures didn’t slow down the Mean Green football team as they began the second week of fall practice with one workout in the morning. North Texas was in full pads during the workout which featured more explosive offense and a couple of special team’s standouts during the morning.

North Texas has the afternoon off today but will have its first two-a-day practices tomorrow. The first workout is at 8:45 a.m. and the afternoon practice starts at 3:30 p.m.

Practice Notes

-Quarterback Daniel Meager hooked up with two different receivers for touchdowns during the workout. Meager first found Brock Stickler for a 50-yard TD and later connected with freshman B.J. Lewis for another 50-yard score.

-Senior running back Jamario Thomas had several big runs during the workout, his longest being 25-yards.

-Freshman Breece Johnson had the catch of the day as he made a sliding grab of a pass on an out route.

-During special teams work safety Aaron Weather had a blocked field goal.

-Wide receiver Brandon Jackson worked on fielding punts along with Evyn Roman.

-In the conditioning drills to finish off practice B. J. Lewis, Meager, Jack Crumes, Casey Fitzgerald and Truman Spencer excelled.

It's a new day coaches want kickers and punteres to be athletes now days. Of course there are still a few 5'6 130lbs guys out there.

I guess it's true that you want you kickers to be athletic. Sometimes the kicker is the only thing standing between the return man and the endzone. You want them to be able to make a tackle.

Can someone get me up to speed on the kicker (or lackthereof) situation? Are they trying to train someone for this or now going back to their recruiting leads trying to dig up a kid that graduated last year from high school?

I believe we have three freshman fighting for the job all of them were kicking in HS last year.

The Punter excelled in conditioning drills? :unsure::unsure:

When I played ball, I was a punter. All I had to do was kick the ball.

It's been a UNT tradition that all punters who come here be in great condition. Ever since I been a fan , the Punter has had more minutes played than any other position.