Qb Question...steven Prince?

medpilot21

I talked to Steve Prince last year during workouts and he was really upbeat about competing for a spot this year? I havent heard a thing about him since then. Is he still enrolled at NT? This kid had a monster arm and was supposed to be in the QB mix in the fall? Not sure why he fell of the map, if he did...

I was looking at the possible QB's for this year...Jeesh we have a motherload? It also appears that ALL of them are scholarship players?

1-Danny Meager

2-WoodyWilson

3-Matt Phillips

4-Nathan Tune

5-Steven Prince

6-Giovanni Vizza

I dont know what style of offense Steven Prince played in high school, but this would be a tough lineup to break into? TD did say the starting spot is up for grabs, so I would think everyone has a shot come August. I do think we will see at least one QB move to another position, but we have a LOT of young QB's.

I guess we will see them battle it out soon enough...

GMG!!!

I doubt the Prince kid was on scholarship. He walked on and never got in the mix. UNT went with three different QB's last season and kept Tune on the sideline for redshirt purposes (but Nathan to his credit walked on and earned a scholarship from DD).

This season one QB will move to another position and that person looks like Woody. Woody is an athlete but not an accurate QB that Dodge DEMANDS. Woody would have served himself and the team better to workout this spring at DB or WR. Heck, we only had three WR's on scholarship in the spring. Unfortunately, if this summer, Woody is not working out at another position, he possibly not might contribute much this season. Any one know if Woody is working out with the WR's or DB's this summer?

The QB is a three man race, Meager is the front runner, Tune is second, and the freshman is third, imo. Whoever comes out of that competition will be tough minded, a leader, a QB who reads well, and most importantly, Dodge stresses accuracy. Dodge wants an accurate QB that can make a few plays with his feet.

If their is anyone who can improve our QB play, it is TD and Coach Ford. Meager might flourish in that enviroment but then again Vizza came out of the spread enviroment. Tune is adapting from his Celina days and is a big kid. This will be the story of two a days.

I doubt the Prince kid was on scholarship. He walked on and never got in the mix. UNT went with three different QB's last season and kept Tune on the sideline for redshirt purposes (but Nathan to his credit walked on and earned a scholarship from DD).

This season one QB will move to another position and that person looks like Woody. Woody is an athlete but not an accurate QB that Dodge DEMANDS. Woody would have served himself and the team better to workout this spring at DB or WR. Heck, we only had three WR's on scholarship in the spring. Unfortunately, if this summer, Woody is not working out at another position, he possibly not might contribute much this season. Any one know if Woody is working out with the WR's or DB's this summer?

The QB is a three man race, Meager is the front runner, Tune is second, and the freshman is third, imo. Whoever comes out of that competition will be tough minded, a leader, a QB who reads well, and most importantly, Dodge stresses accuracy. Dodge wants an accurate QB that can make a few plays with his feet.

If their is anyone who can improve our QB play, it is TD and Coach Ford. Meager might flourish in that enviroment but then again Vizza came out of the spread enviroment. Tune is adapting from his Celina days and is a big kid. This will be the story of two a days.

Oh, I"m sorry. I didn't realize Ford resigned and made you Offensive Coordinator.

I guess Mr. Meager just can't stand the fact that Woody is faster.

Edited by Cr1028

I thought mobility was a huge factor for Dodge's qbs, which doesn't bode well for Tune. You're part of the few that think Tune is in the top 2. Personally I think it's between Meager and WW, but whoever wins I will trust they earned it.

I never thought of WW as inaccurate, just that he needed to learn to read the routes better.

I didnt know Steven Prince was a walk-on? Thanks for the info... It would be interesting to know what happens with him in college if he is not here? I suspect he will be playing somewhere this year. As for the QB move thing, I still see Woody as the #2 QB? Who knows what happens in August, but WW earned that win against SMU last season. No other QB on the roster could have given us that win... I dont think? I would like to see if TD can get Woody functinal in the spread. A scrambling QB with 4 and 5 wide receiver sets sure gives us a lot of options.

We'll see...

GMG!!!

What was Daniel like as a baby? Did he cry a lot Mrs. Meager?

I think I've said this before. But I'm looking forward to our QB candidates actually getting some competent coaching/teaching.

They've only had a few months of competent instruction, and the shock of being treated with respect and not getting screamed at might have been too much for their systems to initially handle. :rolleyes:

Fall practice should be where we see the real progress (or the lack thereof) take place.

Why is everyone hammering Dodge2007? He/she is just stating what TD stated coming out of the spring, that Meager was in the lead, but that it was still a wide open race. So you don't agree with the remainder of the post...big deal.

Personally, I think it comes down to Meager and Vizza with Wilson moving to either safety or WR.

Oh, I"m sorry. I didn't realize Ford resigned and made you Offensive Coordinator.

I guess Mr. Meager just can't stand the fact that Woody is faster.

You might have forgotten that Meager at one time was rumored to be practicng returning kicks; as he has some serious speed. Woody is faster, but probably not by much (as Rivalslist Meager as having 4.48/40 speed).

You might have forgotten that Meager at one time was rumored to be practicng returning kicks; as he has some serious speed. Woody is faster, but probably not by much (as Rivalslist Meager as having 4.48/40 speed).

You may be right about foot speed. All I know, though, is Woody is capable of making a defense look silly if they give him room (ask SMU) and Meager seems to get walked down by linebackers. Maybe "more elusive" is a better description.

You may be right about foot speed. All I know, though, is Woody is capable of making a defense look silly if they give him room (ask SMU) and Meager seems to get walked down by linebackers. Maybe "more elusive" is a better description.

Anyone remember the TD run against Troy back in 2005? That had shades of the speed good_ken refers to. I remember thinking that run WW had against SMU was eerily similar to Mayday's run against Troy. Not saying I disagree with Emmitt, b/c WW has crazy quick moves. I do think that Meager doesn't fully sell out to the run immediately--which helps him get caught by LBs. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, though....I have admittedly tried to erase the nightmares of the last 2 seasons...

Some of you are getting my comments confused with what is being said by TD and what was shown at the spring game. Meager is and was the leader coming out spring ball, he was called that early in spring ball. Why?..... because he has the best mechanics and fits the mold of what Dodge is looking for in a QB. That doesn't mean I am a Meager believer, I just believe that Meager is #1 right now and nothing is going to change that until fall practice.

Tune is #2 because he is a freshman, a RSF. Woody was fourth team during spring ball, he missed many practices or came in late because of his class schedule. Woody fits the mobility that Dodge is looking for but does not have the consistent accuracy, any one who saw him practice, during the spring, could see that. Unfortunately, as nice a kid as Phillips is, he might get caught up (most likely will) in the numbers game. Only 3 QB's travel on away games.

That leaves Tune, Phillips, and Vizza competing for the other two travel spots and possibly the starting position. I believe it will boil down to Meager, Tune and Vizza during August.

Players tell me that it will be Meager vs. Vizza but I do not count out Tune because he is raw. Vizza is a spread QB, has been a spread QB, and won a STATE championship in a spread offense................that cannot be overlooked. Any QB who had about 500 yards in total offense against a Stud team and program like Copperas Cove (with D-1's all over the field) in the biggest game of is life, cannot be overlooked. But Tune has some size advantages and is still learning the spread. Tune might sneak in there and give'em hell.

All I am saying is what Dodge says, Meager is the leader but August will decide it. Daniel Meager is being coached for the first time at the collegiate level. That might make the difference. I believe Vizza's competiveness and work ethic (as being told by some of the WR's) will give Dodge a tough decision. Best of luck to all four QB's who will compete for the RIGHT TO FACE OU, that is a tough way to start the Dodge era. ( I hope I am wrong !!!!) Ask Tech how hard it is to throw the ball against the boys from Norman.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't think anyone could put Tune at #2 after watching the spring scrimmage.

I agree with you based on the spring game BUT if you saw the DC Texas Football you'll see that none other than the great Brett Vito has Nathan Tune as the #2 quarterback.

Players tell me that it will be Meager vs. Vizza but I do not count out Tune because he is raw. Vizza is a spread QB, has been a spread QB, and won a STATE championship in a spread offense................that cannot be overlooked. Any QB who had about 500 yards in total offense against a Stud team and program like Copperas Cove (with D-1's all over the field) in the biggest game of is life, cannot be overlooked. But Tune has some size advantages and is still learning the spread. Tune might sneak in there and give'em hell.

I'm surprised to hear all this talk about Tune's size, then go to the athletic's website and see him listed under 200 lbs. That seems more ideal, rather than big? Just a thought.

I agree with Emmitt on Woody being elusive.

Also, two questons:

Who was the last qb before Woody to throw a touchdown pass against the Longhorns or any top 25 team?

Who was the last qb to have his name chanted after beating our rivals?

I'll agree that we don't know if Meager or Woody should start yet but I won't agree that Phillips or Tune is a better quarterback for this system than Woody. Phillips is a pure pocket passer and Tune is from a ground and pound scheme.

Edited by Cr1028

Phillips is a pure pocket passer and Tune is from a ground and pound scheme.

However Tune outplayed Clark Harrell, the Ennis QB that is at Tulsa now, at the THSCA all-star game with only one week of practice in the spread offense. I'm not saying Tune or Meager are the answer, but I will give them a chance now that they have a coach and an offense that works.

I've said Danny was the man for next season since December and apparently Todge, who knows a hell of a lot more about grooming a QB than I or any of the fans on this board. I'll wait to see who Todge puts out on the field.

I agree with Emmitt on Woody being elusive.

Also, two questons:

Who was the last qb before Woody to throw a touchdown pass against the Longhorns or any top 25 team?

I'll agree that we don't know if Meager or Woody should start yet but I won't agree that Phillips or Tune is a better quarterback for this system than Woody. Phillips is a pure pocket passer and Tune is from a ground and pound scheme.

So if Woody is the man, why did he come out of spring and play the least during the spring game? Woody is an athlete first, their is a big difference between an athlete who can run and a true spread QB. I cannot disagree with your opinion above, so Dodge might just go with the Freshman. If the Freshman is anywhere close to Meager, he'll get the start. We'll take our lumps against OU with him (but that is true with any of the QB's) and then hopefully the kid will feel like he is back playing high school seniors when he goes up against the ponies. Our freshman QB might be the best QB recruit in a long time, but we will have to have some patience.

If Meager wins the job, I expect Vizza still to play or Tune. The second teamer will take about 20% of the snaps, imo, and the team will have no doubts about who its starter will be. Dodge will not play ring around the rosies with our QB's.

Yea, and Clint Longley was a fan favorite of the Dallas Cowboys after one game. Might want to go back and check his career numbers.

I'm not discounting WW, but I think he is better suited as a slot receiver or DB in this system. Just my opinion.

And the childish comments about Dodge2007 being Meager's mom are just that, childish. emmitt, nobody is calling you Woody's mommy for sharing your opinion on why he should start.

Yea, and Clint Longley was a fan favorite of the Dallas Cowboys after one game. Might want to go back and check his career numbers.

I'm not discounting WW, but I think he is better suited as a slot receiver or DB in this system. Just my opinion.

And the childish comments about Dodge2007 being Meager's mom are just that, childish. emmitt, nobody is calling you Woody's mommy for sharing your opinion on why he should start.

Yes, but Woody never punched Roger Staubach either.

Also, if you'll look at the season stats, Woody had the most completions, most passing yards, highect completion percentage, and the highest pass efficiency. I'll give you that he also had the most picks.

Unless anyone on this board signs their paycheck as Todd Dodge then they can't say this player should move here or that player should move there. Tune is 6'3" maybe we should make him a wideout. Phillips is 224lbs, maybe we should make him a linebacker. Let the position changes die until Dodge gives us some real info.