Off Season Poll

UNTLifer

Hey Everybody,

Well, you know I'm biased... don't forget the great David Brown who, I believe, still holds the record for most career catches (is that correct?). It seemed like every time I looked up he was open.

Ol' Redwine could play too.

I've heard Shanklin could make it happen, and Johnny Quinn was something else.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Now Mitch, how can you forget the guy that you went to when you absolutely, positively, HAD to have a completion.......Luis Silva. That hail mary to him in the SFA game was just classic. ;)

During the 60's, John Love, Ronnie Shanklin.

70's , Charles Murry and Pete Harvey

80's, Marvin Walker (22 in one game.....unbelievable!) and Marcus Camper.

90's Clayton George, David Brown and Luis Silva

Hard one. Johnny Quinn and Marcus Camper.

A great memory......

http://www.unt.edu/northtexan/archives/s02/alumninews.htm

"Lasting Memory

I’m counting the days until the 2002 North Texas game against Texas. I will always remember the time we played Texas in 1988. I heard an estimate that there were 15,000 North Texas fans at that game in Austin, spurred by the season-opening road victory over Texas Tech. We were in Division I-AA at the time and ranked No. 1 in that division.

As I walked into the stadium, a news team was covering the game from the north end zone, in front of the 10-foot-high University of Texas seal mounted on the wrought-iron gate that surrounds the stadium. The reporter was pointing to the seal, painted green by some North Texas prankster.

Scott Davis had 426 yards of total offense in the game, throwing to Marcus Camper for 224 yards, as North Texas — yes, North Texas — led 21-14 going into the fourth quarter.

Alas, North Texas would not win that game, despite scoring three more points, as Texas scored twice in the fourth. Replays showed neither touchdown should have counted. One touchdown pass was caught completely out of bounds, and the receiver never actually caught the other touchdown. It went right through his hands!

The normally rowdy Texas fans knew they had witnessed a crime. Post-game taunting was minimal, as no one was proud of this game. News accounts in Austin and Dallas agreed.

And for the rest of the semester, my rear windshield said, in white shoe polish: North Texas 24, Texas 14, Refs 13.

The 2002-03 UT Longhorns will be ranked in the top five Aug. 31 when UNT plays them. But I like our chances. Another Scott (Hall) will be starting at QB. See you in Austin!

—Scott Campbell (’82), who attended UT

before graduating from North Texas"

You beat me to it. I'll never forget that game or those amazing over-the-opponents-back catches Camper made.

Rick

Could it be anyone other than Quinn? The guy was just amazing. My favorite play was on a long touchdown pass at Baylor about 3 years ago. From the vintage era, David Brown, Luis Silva (TE) and for sheer athleticism (not hands) Brod McGrew.

Could it be anyone other than Quinn? The guy was just amazing. My favorite play was on a long touchdown pass at Baylor about 3 years ago. From the vintage era, David Brown, Luis Silva (TE) and for sheer athleticism (not hands) Brod McGrew.

My favorite Quinn play was on the "pooch" kickoff where he ran down and recovered the ball. The other would be the TD catch against Arkansas State in the rain that made ESPN's Top Ten.

Could it be anyone other than Quinn? The guy was just amazing. My favorite play was on a long touchdown pass at Baylor about 3 years ago.

Wasn't that the first play of the game? I was so incredibly pumped at that game. A large NT contingent, we were all pumped but then things just fell apart. JMO had an incredible touchdown run to put us up by 2tds, after that, the hamstring injury came up and the game was over after he was out of it.

Edited by Stan R

Wasn't that the first play of the game? I was so incredibly pumped at that game. A large NT contingent, we were all pumped but then things just fell apart. JMO had an incredible touchdown run to put us up by 2tds, after that, the hamstring injury came up and the game was over after he was out of it.

Exactly right. That was the first play of the game with Scott throwing a lazer deep and JQ taking it in stride to the house. After SPJMo's hammy it all went south after that. Still, I could hear the pucker factor within the Baylor faithful for a while there. Pretty funny.

Rick

What about Scottie Ford? He caught everything that was within 10 feet of him.

Thank you! I was going to mention Scottie, who played for NT in 1992. He wasn't flashy, and he only played one year for NT. He spent two years at Sam Houston State under Ron Randleman, and was then diagnosed with diabetes. He transferred to NT to be a volunteer coach under Dennis Parker once his diabetes was under control, but he still had a year of eligibility left, and so he played for the Eagles.

In his first game, the '92 season opener against Abilene Christian, he caught a pass from Mitch Maher at around midfield, and outran the ACU defense for a touchdown. The TD went for about 87 yards all told, and broke the school record for longest TD pass (to be broken the next season by Maher to Redwine for 96 yards against Nicholls State).

If Scottie Ford dropped a pass that season, it was very much the exception rather than the rule. Ford reminded me, in a small way, of Hall-of-Famer Don Maynard. Ford's numbers will never compare to those of Johnny Quinn, Marcus Camper, or other receivers of that ilk, but he will always hold a special place in my mind as one of the best to play for the Mean Green.

You beat me to it. I'll never forget that game or those amazing over-the-opponents-back catches Camper made.

Rick

The magic that was Marcus Camper that night in '88.

campertu883_500x151.jpg

His first touchdown. Takes a quick out from Davis, jukes the DB out of his shorts and walks in untouched.

campertu884_500x269.jpg

His second touchdown. After NT drove inside the tU 20 he split two zone defenders on this inside slant enroute to the zone.

The best for last.

These last three sequences were on the same drive which I believe resulted in an NT fieldgoal. NT stopped tU on two goal line stands during the game that night and with the lead had just halted the horns inside the NT 1 yard line to get the ball back. Coach Nelson, having the ATTITUDE that "We Did Not Come Here To Lose", calls for Davis to throw a 20 yard strike to Camper from 3 to 5 yards inside his own endzone. A balzy call to say the least. Camper was single covered, but somehow takes all of his 5 feet 8 inch frame up and over the defenders' head and nearly takes it to the house.

campertu881_500x171.jpg

campertu882_474x304.jpg

Same catch and run, different angle. Look at the first frame how high up he had to go to get the ball.

As NT's drive nears the tU 20 yard line Campers' number was called again. This catch was simply amazing and completely had the tU defender puzzled as to how Camper came down with the ball after seemingly knocking it away for no gain. The ball is directly over head of both players in the third frame but Camper came down with it and still somehow was able to stay in control to get his feet down in bounds(5th&6th frames).

campertu885_500x183.jpg

This game and several others is why #4 gets my vote as one of the best.

Rick

Yeah - Im biased to the mid 80's with the Scott Davis to Marcus Camper combo. It just seemed like those guys always knew what the other was thinking. That 88 Texas game is the PRIMARY reason I love UNT football, And even though we lost (and in reality, we didnt) it will always a reminder to me when I think of any situation (football or not) where the odds are stacked against you. GREAT memory.