Grapevine Football Player Punched Coach In Face

GreenBat

Grapevine football player punched coach in face

By DOMINGO RAMIREZ JR.

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

GRAPEVINE — A Grapevine High School football player was arrested Thursday on suspicion of assaulting a coach during a practice.

The 15-year-old threw one punch at Coach Aaron Clark after the player became upset during a blocking drill, according to a police report.

The teen was taken to the Lynn W. Ross Juvenile Detention Center in Fort Worth after the incident, police said.

He is expected to be charged with delinquent conduct/assault on a public servant, a felony, said Grapevine police Sgt. Todd Dearing on Friday.

Police received a report about 12:50 p.m. Thursday of the assault at a school’s field.

When the teen lost his temper with another player during the drill and grabbed the player’s head, Clark stepped in to break it up, Dearing said.

At some point, the 15-year-old turned toward Clark and punched him in the face, police said.

The teen then walked to the sideline and sat down, police said. Clark suffered a minor cut under his eye and was treated at the scene, police said.

The 15-year-old was on the sideline when police arrived.

Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-685-3822

And there's the problem right there, that after assaulting a coach he was still able to walk to sit down.

Rick

In my high school days at ole' Denton High, you wouldn't dream of assaulting a coach or teacher; or even being disrespectful. Actually what many would now call minor infractions rated you a visit to assistant principal Johnny Guyer's office. Yep the same Guyer that now has a local high school with his name on it. Several whacks on your butt with the sturdy wooden board he kept leaning in a corner would remind you that it would be much better & much less painful if you toed the line. One trip was enough for most.

in my days, the coach would have been allowed to retaliate...big time paddling or miserable after practice drills for as long as I could remember. i'm not sure this requires for this kid to have a permanent record. "back in the Day' the coach would have been able to handle this on the field, not in juvi. The kid is 15! Not 29...I remember being 15 and hot tempered. granted I would have never dreamed of punching my coach...because I think he would have kicked my a$$. I made some mistakes in my life and i payed for them dearly, but nothing that was unforgivable. Boohoo, coach got a cut on his face...if the system wasn't so overprotective, they would allow him to get his piece instead of only allowing his only out by calling the fuzz.

I'm not a vigilante, but I was one of those kids who learned the hard way, not by getting thrown in jail. For those of you who are wondering, I am director of one of the largest clinical research institutes in the world. would have never been able to be in this position if my teacher's, coaches, or peers would have snitched me to the fuzz. Over reactive...not proactive..

Ruben

in my days, the coach would have been allowed to retaliate...big time paddling or miserable after practice drills for as long as I could remember. i'm not sure this requires for this kid to have a permanent record. "back in the Day' the coach would have been able to handle this on the field, not in juvi. The kid is 15! Not 29...I remember being 15 and hot tempered. granted I would have never dreamed of punching my coach...because I think he would have kicked my a$$. I made some mistakes in my life and i payed for them dearly, but nothing that was unforgivable. Boohoo, coach got a cut on his face...if the system wasn't so overprotective, they would allow him to get his piece instead of only allowing his only out by calling the fuzz.

I'm not a vigilante, but I was one of those kids who learned the hard way, not by getting thrown in jail. For those of you who are wondering, I am director of one of the largest clinical research institutes in the world. would have never been able to be in this position if my teacher's, coaches, or peers would have snitched me to the fuzz. Over reactive...not proactive..

Ruben

---Well you are the exception then. I have had classes that had kids who eventually were charged with murder. My worst of all time had five kids in one room that were later charged with murder (within next 5 years), three convicted (I am convinced the other two were guilty just no witnesses -- one later made it to prison for a long time anyway ). In addition two in that class of 17 students were murder victims. I have never swung at a kid but was very tempted at times... It may not be right but I was pretty sure I would have been fired had I done so. Kids today realize that there is little adults can do when they do things especially if the administration in the school is not what they should be, and many aren't. One student of mine brought a gun to school and I still believe it was meant for me since I referred him to the office which then placed him in on campus suspension. He brought the gun the following day and it was discovered. The cops were called and he was locked up. He got the message and today he is a fairly decent person.... married with children and stays out of trouble.

---It has been my experience the more they somewhat get away with, the more they will do, since they believe no one can touch them.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

In my high school days at ole' Denton High, you wouldn't dream of assaulting a coach or teacher; or even being disrespectful. Actually what many would now call minor infractions rated you a visit to assistant principal Johnny Guyer's office. Yep the same Guyer that now has a local high school with his name on it. Several whacks on your butt with the sturdy wooden board he kept leaning in a corner would remind you that it would be much better & much less painful if you toed the line. One trip was enough for most.

In my days at Denton High, the thought of being sent to see Coach Collins was enough to get me to walk the straight and narrow. He was a great man, the same Collins the new DISD stadium is rightfully named after, that everyone respected. Plus, I knew whatever punishment I received at school would be minimal compared to what my parents would do when they found out I got in trouble.

Kids today realize that there is little adults can do when they do things especially if the administration in the school is not what they should be, and many aren't.

There's the problem. Most parents expect the school to raise their children, yet they are the first to yell at the top of their lungs when their child is disciplined. It is ridiculous and the reason I chose not to become a teacher/coach.

I still remember the days of corporal punishment at school and then more once I got home .

Still remember the butcher knife shaped paddle with holes. :o

Sure did set me straight once I got out of Elementary school.

To bad most parents today want to be their kids best friend.

I still remember the days of corporal punishment at school and then more once I got home .

The key is parenting!!! That is what their little hinny's are for. I think whoever started punishing kids by standing them in a corner needs their head examined.

Nothing makes you prouder than another parent saying how respectful and well mannered your children are and I have to say I have three sons that I am constantly receiving this comment on. It makes me sick to see kids at Wal-mart talking disrespectful and rude to their parents.

well, my father is a teacher/coach. he was in the HS scene for 30 some odd years and is now coaching in JH. he is coaching in a prodominately low income hispanic area. in the two and a half years he has been their i have heard of knife fights, purses full of drugs, riots, and even death threats. the education system is going down the drains and it is just going to get worse. someone said earlier that "Kids today realize that there is little adults can do when they do things" this is very true, kids learn the system at a very early age and most of the time parents are the antagonist of the situations. the parents dont care what their children are doing in school or out of the house, just as long as they dont get in trouble in the house.

some parents are so afraid that CPS is going to get called on them that they dont punish their kids. the line between punishment and abuse these days is so thin that it is practically none existant.

My question is how do we fix the problem and what do the schools need to do to help the process?

We burn all books by Dr. Spoc and any other writings like that. I can remember years ago when Ann Landers was still alive she endorsed fanny fannings. Then several of the bleeding heart Doc Spocs wrote her and she stopped endorsing cps and started endorsing time outs. Yeah, like that works. I think I used the belt on Charley twice when he was growing up. Both times for fighting with his brother Brent. That was enough that the threat of it happening again went a long ways. Today I have a great relationship with my boys and are both great citizens. My children ( I have 4) never acted up at WalMart or anywhere else in public much less at home. They knew the consequences from their actions can have severe reactions from myself or my wife from the time they were toddlers. By the time they were 8 or 9 years old they were calling me Sir. This also, I believe edowed a work ethic in them to work hard at whatever they are trying to acomplish. I think the 2 oldest on full rides in D1 football programs are a testimate to this work ethic. You don't get full schollys by running around getting in trouble (unless your one of those mega talented superstars). When I was growing up in the sixteys and seventies you never herd of anybody shooting up the high schools. I wonder why <_<

Well, I've been teaching/coaching for 7 years now. I started off in the middle school and worked up to the high school level. I am always disturbed by the things I witness as a teacher. When I was in the middle school there were always stories of drunken house parties and sexual acts galore. It amazed me how much our children were getting into. Things I wouldn't even have thought of when I was that age. I always thought to myself, "Where are the parents?" Most of these kids came from "good" homes with "good" parental figures. My thoughts on that were always, "Well, the kids reflect their upbringing." "Their parents didn't raise them right." Now, I know that good kids can have bad parents, bad parents can have good kids, and vice versa. The thing is kids have a better chance of making it if they have those "good" parents. Because at some point all of the morals that you taught them will come back and they will realize the right thing to do.

When it comes to high school kids you are right, they aren't "afraid" anymore. Not saying that they should walk around scared of their own shadows, but they should have some fear of the reprecutions that come from their actions. They know that you really can't do anything to them so teachers are often disrespected and sometimes threatened by students. For some reason they think that they can talk anyway they want to an adult. For alot of them the big thing is "respect" or what they believe "respect" is in their minds.

I have 3 children of my own and the thought of raising them in this day and age is scary. Because when it comes down to it, your kids spend more time with friends, teachers, coaches, then they do with you. My answer? Instil the right values in them from birth and pray to god that your early influences out weigh the influences of the "bad" kids.

Well, I've been teaching/coaching for 7 years now. I started off in the middle school and worked up to the high school level. I am always disturbed by the things I witness as a teacher. When I was in the middle school there were always stories of drunken house parties and sexual acts galore. It amazed me how much our children were getting into. Things I wouldn't even have thought of when I was that age. I always thought to myself, "Where are the parents?" Most of these kids came from "good" homes with "good" parental figures. My thoughts on that were always, "Well, the kids reflect their upbringing." "Their parents didn't raise them right." Now, I know that good kids can have bad parents, bad parents can have good kids, and vice versa. The thing is kids have a better chance of making it if they have those "good" parents. Because at some point all of the morals that you taught them will come back and they will realize the right thing to do.

When it comes to high school kids you are right, they aren't "afraid" anymore. Not saying that they should walk around scared of their own shadows, but they should have some fear of the reprecutions that come from their actions. They know that you really can't do anything to them so teachers are often disrespected and sometimes threatened by students. For some reason they think that they can talk anyway they want to an adult. For alot of them the big thing is "respect" or what they believe "respect" is in their minds.

I have 3 children of my own and the thought of raising them in this day and age is scary. Because when it comes down to it, your kids spend more time with friends, teachers, coaches, then they do with you. My answer? Instil the right values in them from birth and pray to god that your early influences out weigh the influences of the "bad" kids.

What do you expect when you take God out of the school? It has gone down hill every since.

My question is how do we fix the problem and what do the schools need to do to help the process?

As I posted in an earlier discussion, the first thing that needs to go is the "No child left behind" crap. When a 16 year old is coming to school for the sole purpose to fight and disrupt, over and over and over again, they need a dose of reality. They need to become a permanant part of the working force and get a job. And I'm with BubbaGreen on this as well. We need to go back to utilizing every means available to reassure control in the classroom. Of course the system, with the bloodsucking lawyers and such is so far gone I'm not sure how it could ever get back. What year was it, 4 or 5 years ago when it was revealed that 10 of the 12 TEA board members had their own kids in private school?

Rick

We burn all books by Dr. Spoc and any other writings like that. I can remember years ago when Ann Landers was still alive she endorsed fanny fannings. Then several of the bleeding heart Doc Spocs wrote her and she stopped endorsing cps and started endorsing time outs. Yeah, like that works. I think I used the belt on Charley twice when he was growing up. Both times for fighting with his brother Brent. That was enough that the threat of it happening again went a long ways. Today I have a great relationship with my boys and are both great citizens. My children ( I have 4) never acted up at WalMart or anywhere else in public much less at home. They knew the consequences from their actions can have severe reactions from myself or my wife from the time they were toddlers. By the time they were 8 or 9 years old they were calling me Sir. This also, I believe edowed a work ethic in them to work hard at whatever they are trying to acomplish. I think the 2 oldest on full rides in D1 football programs are a testimate to this work ethic. You don't get full schollys by running around getting in trouble (unless your one of those mega talented superstars). When I was growing up in the sixteys and seventies you never herd of anybody shooting up the high schools. I wonder why <_<

Just because you don't spank your kids doesn't mean they have to be undisciplned brats. I don't spank my kids, never have - guess what - they aren't brats, I use very effective techiques for enforcing consequences that do not involve hitting. I was spanked as a child but I don't think that is the only (or most effective) form of discipline.

And I agree with you. I have never spanked my 2 youngest kids. I only spanked the oldest twice. Both times because he was about to kill his Brother. One time he chased him through the house right past me through the den and he caught him in my bathroom. I think I only gave Brent 1 spanking and it was for fighting with my youngest son. The other forms of punishment (that I think is what made them behave more than anything else and made them good citizens), is hard work. This work ranges from mowing to clearing brush to doing extra household chores. To many parents, especialy mothers today, don't think kids should have to do any chores. I disagree, I didn't have kids to be a full time cook, butler and maid. But again, I agree kids don't have to be beat to make them behave. But they have to know there are consequences for their inappropriate behavior.

Just got chewed out for half an hour because a field trip I was made to drive a bus to didn't go so well and one of the parents didn't like the punishment the principal gave their kid when they got back. A great way to start teacher appreciation week.

What do you expect when you take God out of the school? It has gone down hill every since.

---That is not the reason... too many many parents refuse to be parents, they want to be buddies and lack the courage to say no and set guidelines. Without parental support at home the schools have no chance especially when you contact them they then start blaming the school and decide that the teachers just don't understand and are to blame for their child's' behavior. I really get sick of parents who think misbehavior by 4-5-6 year-olds is funny. [kids being sassy or throwing food at a restaurant for example] They are creating a monster and don't realize it and by age 12 or so the kids are totally out of control and have no respect for anyone.

---Schools are not churches and have many groups of various denominations and religions whose beliefs are widely different. A little more religion, morality, and parenting at HOME would be helpful. Don't put that on educators... they have enough on their "plate" as it is, besides some of them have beliefs not compatible with your beliefs anyway. I spent several 30 years in public schools and my final ten were far the worst. I now teach college classes. The best way to improve public schools is find a better answer for those who don't behave and have no respect for others....... not more stupid state tests or before school devotionals. Raising decent kids is a FULL TIME JOB, includes summers and weekends, not just an occasional religious comment.

---An occasional "swat" never hurt a kid... unfortunately there are a few parents and even teachers that have abused what was reasonable and so it is pretty much banned in many schools. It is not really about the amount of pain inflicted but more about the message sent---- disapproval and consequences. Each kid is different... #1 son got more than double the combined swats of my other two who would just keep their mouth shut..... PS... he is now finishing his 2ed year in law school, guess it did not hurt him any, but he still wants to argue about it. .... LOL

I GOT SWATS IN 86 FOR DOING DOUGHNUTS IN THE PARKING LOT AS AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD AT WEST MESQUITE. AND LATER, I VOTED AGAINST A NEW SCHOOL BOND(paybacks are hell). SORRY, I'M OFF TOPIC.

I GOT SWATS IN 86 FOR DOING DOUGHNUTS IN THE PARKING LOT AS AN EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD AT WEST MESQUITE. AND LATER, I VOTED AGAINST A NEW SCHOOL BOND(paybacks are hell). SORRY, I'M OFF TOPIC.

---I guy in my high school spun out in front of the school, lost control and killed a sophomore girl who was standing by the curb.. The parents had no other children. There were no paybacks to those parents or the girl.

From a more than reliable source involved in this case...

The kid was in a scuffle with another teammate and they were fighting and the coach stepped in to break it up and caught a punch. After the kid hit the coach he knew he was in trouble and went and sat on the bench and waited because he knew the police were going to be coming to get him.

Now in my eyes, I dont see it as bad now that I know the whole story. If you have ever played competitive sports, had a competitive job, or anythign like that - you know that tempers flare up (especially in football). This kid effed up and accidentally popped his coach. Had he reeled back and knocked his coach out then I would be right where most of you are in the fact he shouldnt have made it to the bench...

Does anyone know my last name?

From a more than reliable source involved in this case...

The kid was in a scuffle with another teammate and they were fighting and the coach stepped in to break it up and caught a punch. After the kid hit the coach he knew he was in trouble and went and sat on the bench and waited because he knew the police were going to be coming to get him.

Now in my eyes, I dont see it as bad now that I know the whole story. If you have ever played competitive sports, had a competitive job, or anythign like that - you know that tempers flare up (especially in football). This kid effed up and accidentally popped his coach. Had he reeled back and knocked his coach out then I would be right where most of you are in the fact he shouldnt have made it to the bench...

Does anyone know my last name?

If that is the case, then why were the cops called?

If that is the case, then why were the cops called?

b/c that's pretty much policy around the state. If a fight occurs (no matter how big or small or who is involved), the police are called and both parties are arrested....even if only one side started and threw the only punches.

The comment earlier about God being taken out of schools not being the problem is an interesting one....interesting in that the generation responsible for that action is also responsible for the policies that exist (such as the one above) today that seem to only complicate discipline....and now complain about the generation of kids being brought up today. To that generation, I say thanks....thanks a lot. Flame away!! ;) ;)

Edited by TIgreen01