Grapevine Football Player Punched Coach In Face

GreenBat

b/c that's pretty much policy around the state. If a fight occurs (no matter how big or small or who is involved), the police are called and both parties are arrested....even if only one side started and threw the only punches.

That's not the way it was handled where I went to school (I graduated HS in 2003), we had fights in the football locker rooms about once a week and the coaches didn't even really seem to care. However, my senior year they really began to get strict on hazing freshmen.

In my days at Denton High, the thought of being sent to see Coach Collins was enough to get me to walk the straight and narrow. He was a great man, the same Collins the new DISD stadium is rightfully named after, that everyone respected. Plus, I knew whatever punishment I received at school would be minimal compared to what my parents would do when they found out I got in trouble.

There's the problem. Most parents expect the school to raise their children, yet they are the first to yell at the top of their lungs when their child is disciplined. It is ridiculous and the reason I chose not to become a teacher/coach.

I agree with everyone as well. When my brother and I played highschool ball, we would have never DREAMED of hitting or yelling back at a coach or teacher. I am not certain when all of this changed, but I am trying to do my part and raise my children with good discipline.

Also, and not that I was a teacher, but I when I drove a school bus while attending NT, I did notice that the kids could get away with murder. Did not matter what the infraction was, they seemed to be treated with "kid gloves". That was extremely disappointing, it was like you had no recourse at all...and the kids knew this.

TI Green is right... When a fight or altercation breaks out you are required to call the police and both parties either recieve tickets or warnings or something. I got into a fight in 5th grade and the police were called. No tickets or anything but we both got In School Suspension and then three weeks later the cop was seen on Jerry Springer and his "new" wife was actually a dude. Sorry that was off topic...

I have been a teacher for 9 years, things are even worse than portrayed. Kids get away with murder and they know it!!!

The school I am in does NOT allow the teacher to give students a zero for assignments. WE have to explain to administrators why the student decided not to do THEIR work. Possibly they were not engaged in the assignment or did not feel the assignment was relevent to their educational needs. They are giving up to six weeks to complete the assignment before we can fianlly assign them a zero.

As far as discipline, forget about it. The inmates run the asylum.

We are in deep crap unless the education system stops this "we are all winners BS" and goes back to reality!

I have been a teacher for 9 years, things are even worse than portrayed. Kids get away with murder and they know it!!!

The school I am in does NOT allow the teacher to give students a zero for assignments. WE have to explain to administrators why the student decided not to do THEIR work. Possibly they were not engaged in the assignment or did not feel the assignment was relevent to their educational needs. They are giving up to six weeks to complete the assignment before we can fianlly assign them a zero.

As far as discipline, forget about it. The inmates run the asylum.

We are in deep crap unless the education system stops this "we are all winners BS" and goes back to reality!

---Repeating... if politicians want to help public education, fund programs or whatever to get the trouble makers out of the regular classrooms. At the same time we really don't want these hoodlums out on the streets because of the trouble (theft for example) they would cause when not at some type of "school or work-type program". There are no simple answers to better education but MORE TESTING or more difficult graduation requirements is definitely not the answer.

--- Passing folks who do not deserve to pass** is noticed by those who did work and did not pass by much... Guess what happens the next semester... they won't work either.... Why bother to try, you get passed anyway becomes the common attitude. This is why colleges are so successful at education... most students fear failing and try to learn, well at least the ones that make it past the freshman year. That is also the reason so many leave after about one semester... they expected to be held to HS standards and are shocked when they actually fail.

**passing a person that should not pass does him no favor either. I have a student that "somehow" passed the previous course and he now has a 20 for me and has attended almost every class (math). He is in way over his head and 40 points below the second lowest grade in the college class I teach. So many college students really regret doing little in HS.... it hits the fan in college, even in good community colleges, they face a difficult or impossible task. Many are forced into no-credit classes to upgrade their skills in math and English.. .Even fairly decent students learn they often can't go to colleges they expected to attend because they scored too low... often because they just goofed off in HS.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66