New Hoops Prospect

MeanGreen61

New hoops prospect

A new name has emerged on the UNT men's basketball recruiting front following the news that shooting guard Kevin Goffney has committed to Chattanooga.

Adam McCoy, a 6-4 shooting guard from Mesa Community College in Arizona, is on the Mean Green's radar, according to a source close to the situation.

McCoy averaged 18.4 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 1.3 steals a game last year for Mesa and is from the area. He played for Arlington Oakridge.

McCoy was a second team All-Arizona Community College Athletic Conference selection last season and appears as if he would fit the Mean Green's needs. UNT is still looking for someone who can play the small forward spot and fill the role left by Calvin Watson. South Florida transfer Collin Dennis seems destined to take Kendrick Davis' spot at shooting guard.

In other basketball news, UNT women's coach Tina Slinker said Tuesday that Ashley Vation has left the program. Vation was a highly regarded recruit when she arrived at UNT, but never really developed and played sparingly the last two seasons.

The following is a link to McCoy's page on the Mesa Web site:

http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/athletics/athle...sket/mccoy.html

Community colleges are essentially the same as junior colleges.

But, to me, community college basketball is a step below junior college ball. You occasionally see someone signed from a Dallas area community college, but not often.

Hope I'm wrong on this, but it sounds to me like we're grasping for straws at this point.

I think J.J. is trying to get a body in here that can play 10-15 minutes a game and be a solid backup. I think he realizes it is late in the game and most of the impact players are gone. I think McCoy would be brought in to hedge our bets in case we aren't able to sign Thompson or Smith. McCoy would get us through next year and hope for an impact player to sign on for 08-09. I think we'll be fine for next year, after that I begin to worry...

I think J.J. is trying to get a body in here that can play 10-15 minutes a game and be a solid backup. I think he realizes it is late in the game and most of the impact players are gone. I think McCoy would be brought in to hedge our bets in case we aren't able to sign Thompson or Smith. McCoy would get us through next year and hope for an impact player to sign on for 08-09. I think we'll be fine for next year, after that I begin to worry...

I have questions on whether NT is still recruiting Smith..I believe he was ranked # 25 in TX Hoops earlier and now doesn't even appear in their top 150. Same with Busby Haynes...he was ranked # 52 and is no longer in their top 150. Not sure what this means? TX Hoops and their top 150 boys listings are free access...so if I am wrong let me know.

I have questions on whether NT is still recruiting Smith..I believe he was ranked # 25 in TX Hoops earlier and now doesn't even appear in their top 150. Same with Busby Haynes...he was ranked # 52 and is no longer in their top 150. Not sure what this means? TX Hoops and their top 150 boys listings are free access...so if I am wrong let me know.

Both are still listed in the Rivals database as being recruited/interested in NT, but we know how often that is updated. I'm not really sure what that means, but I sure hope we can land Thompson or Smith...

If it's late in the game, and all the good prospects are gone....who's fault is that? How come JJ didn't sign anyone in November?

As far as I can tell....thus far, we have one signee. We beat out UT-SA and Marist to sign him. (Ryan McCoy).

And yet, we've lost out on recruits to UNO, Richmond and UT-Chattanooga.

To have 3 ships open this time of year, for a team without a coaching change, is mystifying. After the best season in decades, this year recruiting is beginning to look like Trilli's last few years when he signed the biggest "reaches" in school history. I am sure NT will sign some athletes and many will think all is well, but the fact is that there are very few highly sought players still available. Unless JJ already has some mystery recruits ready to sign this could be a really disappointing class.

Edited by GrandGreen

you can't judge a recruiting class this early, yes it would be nice to have alot of signings early, but basketball is different than football recruiting in that basketball players will take longer to make their decisions.. there are many good recruits still out there, esp. at the Junior college level.. I think J.J. will pull in a decent small forward type before the signing period is up, and then the J.J. haters will just have to find a new thing to rag him about

you can't judge a recruiting class this early, yes it would be nice to have alot of signings early, but basketball is different than football recruiting in that basketball players will take longer to make their decisions.. there are many good recruits still out there, esp. at the Junior college level.. I think J.J. will pull in a decent small forward type before the signing period is up, and then the J.J. haters will just have to find a new thing to rag him about

Shhhhhh.....you'll wake those who still think JJ's team is about to fold at any minute.

Football teams need 44 players to go 2 deep on both sides of the ball. It isn't like Memphis is signing the 20 best players out of Memphis and Texas every year. There are still some good player out there. Lets see what JJ has under his sleeve.

Edited by greenminer

To have 3 ships open this time of year, for a team without a coaching change, is mystifying. After the best season in decades, this year recruiting is beginning to look like Trilli's last few years when he signed the biggest "reaches" in school history. I am sure NT will sign some athletes and many will think all is well, but the fact is that there are very few highly sought players still available. Unless JJ already has some mystery recruits ready to sign this could be a really disappointing class.

Times have changed, but Gene Robbins signed the best class ever in North Texas history (to benefit Bill Blakely later on) with Fred Mitchell, Melvin Davis and Ken Williams and he didn't get them signed until early May. I know, because I was in Waco at the time finishing up an internship and read about the signings in the Dallas Morning News, which I could pick up at the local restaurant near my apartment (which I didn't move into until May 1st).

Times have changed, but Gene Robbins signed the best class ever in North Texas history (to benefit Bill Blakely later on) with Fred Mitchell, Melvin Davis and Ken Williams and he didn't get them signed until early May. I know, because I was in Waco at the time finishing up an internship and read about the signings in the Dallas Morning News, which I could pick up at the local restaurant near my apartment (which I didn't move into until May 1st).

I think you will find that all were signed close to the earliest signing date. I have no idea when they were signed but do remember that they were announced on the same day which leads me to believe that they were signed early. Joe Pride a juco was a late signee that year. There was no early signing period back in those days and May 1 could have been close to the earliest signing date.