A Few Smu Tidbits

emmitt01

http://smu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=659251

A few things I notice from this article.

-900 people? How very small-time. :P

-Secondary is the point of concern? I kinda like this whole "passing" thing we'll be throwing at them.

-900 people? In the big city of Dallas?

-Seems their front line is the strength of the defense. Didn't we run all over them last year...I mean, it sure wasn't our passing attack.

-900 people? Isn't this a CUSA title contender? :lol:

-Justin Willis seems to be all that he's billed to be.

-900 people?

Does anyone have a good feel of how many seats will be available for the SMU game or where they'll be located? I think they rarely fill that stadium, but still with UNT coming to their place, it will draw alot more SMU fans as well. I mean since it's literally "in town" is it better to buy those tickets directly from SMU, or will UNT be selling some as a large contingent so we can all sit together? Thoughts?

With the right amount of promotion - we could nearly equal SMU's number of fans at their own place. Yes, I realize that this type of promotion doesn't immediately put money in our AD's pockets, but it would make a big statement.

I would say we should buy through our ticket office/athletic department. It'll show our people that we can sell out our allotment if we play the right teams. And we'd all be in the same sections.

And once we sell out our allotment, then go to their ticket office and buy the remaining tickets. It can be done.

Edited by UNTFan23

Five of the recruits on-hand came from Denton Ryan, the high school home of quarterback Justin Willis. SMU signed Ryan defensive lineman Ben Goldthorpe this spring, giving the Mustangs at least two Ryan Raiders on the 2007 roster, and apparently looking for more. Redshirt freshman Anthony Sowe

attended Denton High, another plug into the Denton ISD system.

Tell me that's not a subtle shot at the state university north on 35.

Blah-blah-blah about the Denton-Ryan students. Why?

If I just graduated high school, the last thing I'd want to do would be to stick around my old hometown. Dallas is bigger and more fun than Denton if you've lived there your whole life, so why not go to Dallas and have mommy and daddy just under and hour away?

Besides, they can have all the Denton-Ryan kids they want. I think we're getting than our share of SLC kids AND-we're still gonna beat them. In their house. Ha-ha-ha.

ESS-EMM-WHO?

In response to the above posts: Very, very true, meangreendork, many students really do want to leave their hometowns to go away to college; but hellsbells, some of us can remember when one former NT head football coach and his staff signed about half the starters from Dallas Carter High School and.............FWIW, we need to get back inside the Dallas ISD inner city schools again, and many of us would wager that with Todd Dodge and the new Dodge Ball Era-----we will.

But with some of whom we are talking about, many of Denton's HS kids are merely products of Denton parents who also don't give a rat's behind as far as supporting NT athletics and I think we have proof to substantiate that (like too many empty seats in the past at Fouts Field since it opened for starters). This is a new era of Dodge Ball and growth that we all hope will replace such attitudes as the aforementioned, though.

Say what you will, but the city of Denton (still) mainly exists because of its 2 major universities (with all apologies to some of you oldtimers who think UNT and TWU exists because of Denton) :rolleyes: Yet many who came after 1890 (when NT opened up for business) merely saw a "golden" opportunity to jump on a college town setting bandwagon and to make some very nice livings because a helluva' bunch of Denton's college students. Also, couple that with the fact that many, many Dentonites have thru the decades received bids on some very nice service contracts from from both univerersities.

So how many college students in Denton, Texas, America? How about a number that will soon (enough) be closing in on 50,000 students. :o As I said, lot$ & lot$ of "gold en" opportunity for many Dentonotes who will depend on Denton's college students to make their living, but so what, its the same in College Station, Tuscaloosa, Starkville, Clemson, etc, etc, etc, The decade's long shame in Denton, though, has been how so darn difficult it has been to get some of them to shell out $10 (give or take) to support its city's largest university's football team; but who knows, its a new era (of which some of us have seen a few of those too), but maybe this is the era that will truly make a Big Time difference and get a school presently closing in on 35,000 students in the sports collegiate neighborhood it has long deserved to be in.

Please............No Todd Dodge Coat-Tailers or UNT/Robson Village Retirees For DII Talent:

Many of us still don't think Todd Dodge can do all this by himself up there. In fact, most likely UNT still needs to hire other true D1-A talents (you know, the kind of talents that give UNT 4 or 5 years of kick-arse production that other upper echelon D1-A schools are tripping over themselves to try to hire away from UNT?) :rolleyes: But won't such talent as that (still) need to be hired at UNT in all the other ancillery "behind the scene" roles to realistically and ultimately give us the kind of success that will help UNT hire & keep coaches such as Todd Dodge (along with his anticipated success) and then to keep them for a long time? Of course, a new football stadium will warp speed all that we want to do in Denton, Texas, America & at the University of North Texas in context to all the other, lets say, Top 50 schools of NCAA D1-A. Any (hopeful) news on that project? :huh:

PS: Sorry I missed being with some of you and the other approx. 6,000 (from what 1 alum told me) at the (could it be):) "Annual" Green/White Spring Football Game? Much of what I do requires very much weekend work (whereas my "weekend" now usually means Monday/Tuesday.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

SMUt probably thinks it is accommodating us, since they view us as blue collar people. We all have to work on Saturday and the later kickoff will allow us to clean up after mowing the Highland Park lawns and cleaning the Highland Park houses. Those of us who are domestic servants will probably get the evening off so we can attend the game.

From the $muts board/spring game report-there schedule has a 7pm kick off

for the NT game-

Why so late-I thought a 1 or 3 pm was set up? Thats ok- 7pm in September is

a little cooler-

The later kick off will give us more time to fill ford staidum for the phonies!

I think most people (including teams) would prefer games in the evenings. Day games make it more convenient on the traveling team to hit the road earlier to go back home. Since UNT is just down the road, it's not an issue.

SMUt probably thinks it is accommodating us, since they view us as blue collar people. We all have to work on Saturday and the later kickoff will allow us to clean up after mowing the Highland Park lawns and cleaning the Highland Park houses. Those of us who are domestic servants will probably get the evening off so we can attend the game.

AHHH, we can leave the (oil) drain plugs out on their BMWs during lube changes. This would give us an attendance edge.