Oh How Painful It Must Be

emmitt01

thats not what I am talking about. I have a dozen things on my plate as well, and I imagine about 90% of the people on this board are in the same position. The difference is, I am not so self-righteous as to implicate myself being a fan above all others for being able to make the trip to Lafayette, then citing everything I do/have done for NT.

The constant worrying about what SMU thinks about us makes us look like we are the stepchild they claim. The "its not enough to be successful, everyone else must fail" mentality is yawn-worthy.

But then again, this is coming from Eagle1855 who isn't a "true" fan, or at least, hasn't drawn up a resume to show everyone what I have done for NT- but rest assured, Im working on it.

Oh and hurry over there, they just lost their conference opener...

now I do agree with you on this one, that was outstanding!

Gosh I am ever so sorry for ever implying that you are not a true fan. What can I ever do to make it up to you? I mean, seeing as I am clearly jobless, without other responsibilities and sit around all day just waiting for the next chance to go to a North Texas event I should have all the time in the world to build a...what did you call it, resume? And, no, making the trip to Lafayette doesn't make me a fan above all others. But I do appreciate the call for a round of applause...can we get another because I think I feel an encore coming on. Hell, I may even do showtunes...any requests?

In all seriousness, coming from a guy who grew up in Denton I'm happy to see any and all NT fans...even the non "true" ones. :clapping:

Can't both of you guys agree that SmuT is our mortal enemy and that they suck donkey balls.

I think rivalries are great FFR but it really seems that the SMU/NT rivalry is a low blow, uncivillized rivalry. I mean I dont think it really comes down to athletics....its more of a social thing. I'm not saying lows blows should never be taken but to me it just seems that there's a hatred in a sense that doesnt really have much to do with athletics....especially from the SMU side. Am I sounding right here?

I think rivalries are great FFR but it really seems that the SMU/NT rivalry is a low blow, uncivillized rivalry. I mean I dont think it really comes down to athletics....its more of a social thing. I'm not saying lows blows should never be taken but to me it just seems that there's a hatred in a sense that doesnt really have much to do with athletics....especially from the SMU side. Am I sounding right here?

You are exactly right. I'll be perfectly honest I genuinely hate SMU. I get giddy when I get a loud noise call at an SMU party...I pray for the chance to write tickets. I about pee myself when I take one of them to jail. If I ever get the chance to pull Justin Willis or Phil Bennett over for DWI, provided they are drunk, I may pass out from happiness. So, yes, you are spot on.

really emmitt?? i am not happy when anyone drives drunk. hum... i don't get why we focus on SMU so much. rivalry?? yeah i get it. i may not be 65 years old, grow up in denton or wear funny hats :) but i understand what a rivalry is and that is part of what makes college football so great BUT i don't understand our focus on SMU. there are several reasons why OU/UT, Duke/NC, Michigan/Ohio State are great rivalries. one of the main components is the success that these schools have been able to accomplish. If Michigan had a track record of success like UNT, Ohio State wouldn't give a crap about them. this is kinda like the tortilla thing. just because you say it is a tradition, doesn't make it so, (hard to believe, i know) if SMU was a true rivlary of our school, you wouldn't have to argue about it on a message board... everyone would already know.

really emmitt?? i am not happy when anyone drives drunk. hum... i don't get why we focus on SMU so much. rivalry?? yeah i get it. i may not be 65 years old, grow up in denton or wear funny hats :) but i understand what a rivalry is and that is part of what makes college football so great BUT i don't understand our focus on SMU. there are several reasons why OU/UT, Duke/NC, Michigan/Ohio State are great rivalries. one of the main components is the success that these schools have been able to accomplish. If Michigan had a track record of success like UNT, Ohio State wouldn't give a crap about them. this is kinda like the tortilla thing. just because you say it is a tradition, doesn't make it so, (hard to believe, i know) if SMU was a true rivlary of our school, you wouldn't have to argue about it on a message board... everyone would already know.

I would love to agree with the SUM haters but the truth is that jealous people cannot tell when they are being jealous. For the record - I am not talking about anyone specifically but our SMU posts in general. But the reality is that we post 100 times as much stuff about them as they do about us. It really is kind of like the aTm and UT rivalry. UT gives a crap about aTm and aTm writes fight songs about UT. Kind of silly and 1 sided if you ask me.

You are exactly right. I'll be perfectly honest I genuinely hate SMU. I get giddy when I get a loud noise call at an SMU party...I pray for the chance to write tickets. I about pee myself when I take one of them to jail. If I ever get the chance to pull Justin Willis or Phil Bennett over for DWI, provided they are drunk, I may pass out from happiness. So, yes, you are spot on.

$20 if you fondle Willis while you frisk him, and then ask if he wants to fight about it....

The teams don't have to be successful to make a rivalry, they have to be successful to make a great rivalry. To make a rivalry the teams have to be comparable in talent (us and SMU). Is it a great rivalry, Noooooooo, but it's all we got.

I would love to agree with the SUM haters but the truth is that jealous people cannot tell when they are being jealous. For the record - I am not talking about anyone specifically but our SMU posts in general. But the reality is that we post 100 times as much stuff about them as they do about us. It really is kind of like the aTm and UT rivalry. UT gives a crap about aTm and aTm writes fight songs about UT. Kind of silly and 1 sided if you ask me.

--Repeating what I have stated.... It is not about jealousy... it is about the things they have said and done to us over the past 40 years (maybe more). I am as bad as anyone at taking short "cheap shots" at them but that is it. They are "has-beens" and will never be what they once were. We eventually will be "The University of the Metroplex" and they are beginning to recognize it... Some of them have known that for a long time and have feared us being successful... that is why they opposed us getting into the SWC and CUSA... They absolutely don't want competition from a large state-supported university in their back yard.

-- WE really don't have any great rivals --- they usually take years to develop and involve lots of meaningful games.. That is why the UT and OU one is a great one.... usually a top-10 ranking is at stake or now even a conference championship. You can bet a lot of the Sun-Belt teams want to kick our rears since we have made four of the past six Bowls and now have won basketball... I will bet that many at MTSU really dislikes us for all the things we have done to them, but it really isn't a great rivalry. Good rivalries are also fed by the fact that they alums work and socialize with each other, which usually means they are often located pretty close together.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

As much as I would Love to , We can't have a rivalry with SMU because they do not want one with us. A rivalry is two-sided. It's a shame we can't play them every year in every sport. They already stated last year that there will NOT be another football contract w/ UNT for a long time. That's a dirty shame.

As much as I would Love to , We can't have a rivalry with SMU because they do not want one with us. A rivalry is two-sided. It's a shame we can't play them every year in every sport. They already stated last year that there will NOT be another football contract w/ UNT for a long time. That's a dirty shame.

Could you explain that a little more, please? We played them this season, and are playing them next season. Is there nothing lined up for 2009??? That would be a crying shame.

I'd like to point out that one of my best friends goes to SMU and is a staunch Mustang-pride kinda guy. At the same time I'm obnoxious about my Mean Green pride as well. Heck, at all the SMU home games I went to last year I wore UNT gear. That is all to say that we both LOVE this UNT/SMU rivalry. Yeah, some of them are major tools and jerks, but couldn't we find the same product on our side? I think MOST people (whether Eagles or Ponies) would fit into the same category as me and my homeboy. And that is: we love our schools, enjoy the rivalry, but we respectfully enjoy the rivalry. He doesn't bash our school, and I don't bash his....to his face.