Riley Dodge Commits To Ut

Keith7

Riley Dodge commits to Longhorns

Saturday, February 24, 2007, 03:24 PM

Riley Dodge, quarterback of the Class 5A state champion Southlake Carroll Dragons, said Saturday he had committed to Texas. He became the 12th commitment for the 2008 recruiting class.

Dodge, who was at the Longhorns’ spring practice on Saturday along with 11 other high school juniors, is the son of former Texas quarterback Todd Dodge.

Southlake Carroll running back Tre’ Newton, the son of former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton, also was at the practice. His parents said he had not made a decision on a school.

Riley Dodge commits to Longhorns

Saturday, February 24, 2007, 03:24 PM

Riley Dodge, quarterback of the Class 5A state champion Southlake Carroll Dragons, said Saturday he had committed to Texas. He became the 12th commitment for the 2008 recruiting class.

Dodge, who was at the Longhorns’ spring practice on Saturday along with 11 other high school juniors, is the son of former Texas quarterback Todd Dodge.

Southlake Carroll running back Tre’ Newton, the son of former Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton, also was at the practice. His parents said he had not made a decision on a school.

Where did you find this?

I found it on Rivals. Good luck to Riley.

Edited by GreenBat

wow that didnt take long......

I held out a little hope he would come to NT....but his dad was a qb at texas, sooooo....its alright, It could have been much worst he could have chosen to be with the aggies..... B)

It's better than him signing with SMUt or the Froggies. He could be a junior before he ever takes a snap with uT.

It's already on DMN. http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ts.d59cd47.html

Carroll's Dodge, Newton commit to UT

08:47 PM CST on Saturday, February 24, 2007

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Coach Mack Brown has said he recruits winners to play football at the University of Texas. On Saturday, Brown received oral commitments from a pair of juniors who have never lost a high school game.

Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge and running back Tre' Newton said they committed to UT while attending the Longhorns' second Junior Day. Texas now has pledges from 14 players for its 2008 signing class, matching Texas A&M for the most in the nation so far.

Dodge (6-0, 182) and Newton (6-0, 185) are two of the most dynamic offensive players returning in high school football. Dodge, The Associated Press' 2006 Class 5A state offensive player of the year, passed for 4,184 yards and 54 touchdowns and rushed for 1,119 yards and 13 touchdowns as a junior. Newton had 274 carries for 2,010 yards and 20 touchdowns last season.

Dodge and Newton are undefeated as starters at Carroll, which has won four 5A state titles and is 79-1 in the last five seasons.

"Coach Brown talked about how we have never lost a game in high school and he was impressed with that," Riley said.

Dodge said Texas recruited him as an athlete. He said Texas coaches told him they'd probably use him at wide receiver or defensive back but wouldn't rule out playing him at quarterback if needed. Dodge said he chose UT over offers from SMU, Tulsa, Rice and North Texas, where his father, Todd, became the head coach in December after leading Carroll to the Class 5A Division I state championship.

"I'm sure my dad wanted me to go to North Texas, but he's so excited for me," Riley said. "It doesn't get much better than this."

Todd was a four-year letterman at quarterback at Texas from 1982 to '85. Todd ranks ninth all time at Texas with 2,791 passing yards. Riley said he told his father Wednesday that if Texas offered him Saturday, he was going to commit. Riley said he attended Texas' Junior Day with his mother, Elizabeth, while Todd was in Missouri.

"I'm so happy," Riley said. "This is my dream school. My parents gave me the blessing, and I'm excited to be a Longhorn."

Newton, the son of former Cowboys' offensive lineman Nate Newton, said he chose Texas over offers from Nebraska, Kansas and Mississippi. Newton said his parents accompanied him on the Junior Day visit to Texas.

"Texas was on the top of my list," Tre' said. "The whole coaching staff is Christians and they're all about academics. Both are important to me."

Dodge and Newton said they would be graduating early from Carroll and would enroll at Texas in January 2008.

"It's great how it worked out that we'll stay together," Newton said.

Added Riley: "I'm just happy to be a part of the Texas family."

Oral commitments are nonbinding. The first day a recruit in the Class of 2008 can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6.

Edited by gangrene

Dodge said Texas recruited him as an athlete. He said Texas coaches told him they'd probably use him at wide receiver or defensive back but wouldn't rule out playing him at quarterback if needed. Dodge said he chose UT over offers from SMU, Tulsa, Rice and North Texas, where his father, Todd, became the head coach in December after leading Carroll to the Class 5A Division I state championship.

"I'm sure my dad wanted me to go to North Texas, but he's so excited for me," Riley said. "It doesn't get much better than this."

And so the speculation ends...what position will Riley play, did TD want him at UNT, does UNT pay enough to get Tre' Newton, etc. etc.

At least we won't have to worry about this for another year.

Dodge said Texas recruited him as an athlete. He said Texas coaches told him they'd probably use him at wide receiver or defensive back but wouldn't rule out playing him at quarterback if needed.

I wondered if he would be recruited for another position. TD must be happy with the way things have turned out lately. Got college HC job without moving, wins state title with son, son named player of year, signed quality recruiting class, meets President in Oval Office, son gets ship to his alma mater, ....what's next?

I am happy for Riley. I bleed green, but we aren't on the same level as Texas at this point.

He will have the opportunity to compete for national championships year in and year out.

He has obviously worked hard over his HS career, and he deserves this.

Now lets quick talking about Riley, and start talking about VIZZA

Edited by BIG DAWG

I wondered if he would be recruited for another position. TD must be happy with the way things have turned out lately. Got college HC job without moving, wins state title with son, son named player of year, signed quality recruiting class, meets President in Oval Office, son gets ship to his alma mater, ....what's next?

He wins a national championship at NT with Woody at QB?

As I always say "the harder you work, the luckier you get"! TD obviously has been very diligent for some time now to have so many positives come his way. Well deserved!! He might as well keep it up. It will be fun to see what happens next!