Your 1st North Texas Football Game ?

NT03

I don't have the records book with me to know the exact teams, but this much I know -- it would have been the first home game in 1960. Maybe somebody like West Texas or Hardin-Simmons or Abilene Christian etc.?

BTW, for Christmas my brother sent me a copy of the H-E-B "The Best of Texas High School Football" booklet, a great find for someone like me stuck in upstate NY, and it includes a nice story on one of my early heroes, Bobby Smith, "A Trailblazer to Remember." Even beyond that, it's a GREAT booklet, a must for any fan. Are H-E-Bs in the DFW area?

--Perhaps you would enjoy this site.... Football records all colleges including UNT.

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia_team_index.php

HEB's ... there are a few in West Texas.... (Midland) I don't ever remember seeing one in Dallas.. my three "kids" live there.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

My first was 1968 against Tulsa. It was a recruiting visit at Tulsa with my high school sweetheart. Don't remember much about the game. As we were leaving my ex was approached by someone recruiting for NT and I'll never forget asking (Oh so blondely) "So, where is Denton?". His response - "A little closer to Tulsa than SMU or the Horned Frogs". What are the Horned Frogs?? Found out later that they were really Horney Toads (as we called them up here in Tulsa).

As a UNT supporter, my first game at Fouts was 2006 - SMU. We had very mixed emotions driving down to the game due to all the negative posts I was reading that morning on this board. I was expecting much less support than I saw. What a wonderful surprise to see the tailgaiting, the game and the enthusiasum of the fans. We had such high hopes after that bright beginning; only to slide to the dark end of last season.

But now look at this board - great, positive, forward thinking group!!! Can't wait until September!!!

Season opener, 1987, taking death-penalty SMU's place on OU's schedule. On the sidelines as a freshman student trainer. I wrote a paper about the day in freshman lit, describing coming out well before the game and seeing the sections of red and white seats, banners flying in the breeze, etc., then going in the locker room and coming back out just before kickoff to find that serene setting replaced by tens of thousands of Sooner fans screaming expletives at us!

Switzer on the sidelines, Holloway at QB, Keith Jackson at TE...... Wow. Welcome to college football! I'll never forget it!

First home game of '99 season. I was in the Green Brigade. I believe it was Baylor and their QB was named Cicero?

I seem to recall Scott coming in relief of Bridges (?) and leading us to a win. Not sure, and the espn/meangreenathletics pages don't go back that far. (why not? where can I find archives like that?)

We also beat Tech that year in Texas Stadium.

Having said all that, I get '99 and '01 games confused...a lot. Hope that's not the case here.

First home game of '99 season. I was in the Green Brigade. I believe it was Baylor and their QB was named Cicero?

I seem to recall Scott coming in relief of Bridges (?) and leading us to a win. Not sure, and the espn/meangreenathletics pages don't go back that far. (why not? where can I find archives like that?)

Having said all that, I get '99 and '01 games confused...a lot. Hope that's not the case here.

We lost the Baylor game, we did win the Tech game but it was at Fouts West (aka Jones Stadium), If memory serves the 2000 Tech game was also at Fouts West and it was the "Run LaDarrin Run... WHAT... NOOOOO!" game. We did play them at Texas stadium in 2000 and that did not end well.

We played Baylor away in '99 and lost. We did beat Tech in 99 in Lubbock. Also, the first home game that year was a lost to UNLV.

09-02-99 vs. UNLV , lost 03-26

I believe this was a Thursday night game. It was John Robinson's debut coming back to college coaching from previously being with the Rams. I had just moved to Denton and one of my new roomates was friends with then QB Jason Attaway(?) We went over to his house after the game and watched highlights of the game on ESPN. Well , highlights on UNLV picking off one his passes for a touchdown , anyways Ive been bleeding GREEN ever since and now more than ever.

Just curious one each person's first game.

That was my first game as well national tv, good crowd, being the first game of my freshman year I was really optimistic but that changed pretty quick. But then thinkgs got better and then bad again, and now I really think we've got a lot to look forward to.

Goodness..everytime someone asks this question, I feel old!

BYU in 1971. It was a home game for us in the Cotton Bowl! We were suposed to play in Texas Stadium, but it was not ready yet.

I recall we lost, but every Mormon in Texas was there, rooting for BYU!!

vs. MTSU in 2001. I didn't think it would turn the way it did, and I didn't think it would be a step to getting the program where it is now.

THAT was a great game. And no one was there to see it lol

You remember that punt after the final drive that sailed, like, 40+ yards then rolled another 30? I think it was officially a 72 yard punt.

Everything went our way that day.

THAT was a great game. And no one was there to see it lol

You remember that punt after the final drive that sailed, like, 40+ yards then rolled another 30? I think it was officially a 72 yard punt.

Everything went our way that day.

If you wait long enough ... a Blue Raider will comment about that punt.

--- My favorite was 1988 in Lubbock which we came from behind and won 29-24. It was my first in-person game since graduation (I live in West Texas) and my wife is a Tech grad. All my kids were there with me. It was a fun game with the amazing comeback.

That was actually my first game. I was in law school at Tech and went to the game. What an amazing game it was.

I was never a college football fan until then, but I was hooked. I also traveled to Austin that same year and saw them play/beat UT. Someone also mentioned the 2001 game against the MUTS. I remember that punt someone mentioned. It was stunning.

That was a great game and it really seemed to breathe life into the program.