Running Back To Play Safety For Mean Green

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...4.13244ace.html

running back to play safety for Mean Green

<H5 class=vitstorydate>12:45 AM CST on Wednesday, January 24, 2007</H5>

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Former Austin Westlake running back Bron Hager decided this week that it would be better to be on Todd Dodge's sideline the next time he runs into the new North Texas head coach.

Hager visited UNT last weekend and decided Tuesday to pass on a scholarship offer from Baylor and orally commit to play for the Mean Green. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

UNT recruited Hager as a safety.

"I played against Carroll in the state championship game and they knew exactly what they were doing," Hager said. "Coach Dodge's system will work even better on the college level with better athletes."

Hager (6-1, 210) played linebacker at Westlake his junior season before moving to running back as a senior, when he rushed for 1,119 yards. He was a second-team All-District 25-5A selection.

"Bron started at linebacker for us as a junior and played very well," Westlake coach Derek Long said. "He had good instincts for the position and got to the ball in a hurry."

UNT's coaches told Hager they believe he will fit well into their new 4-3 defense.

"They are recruiting me as a safety because in their system they play like linebackers," Hager said. "They are in more of a position to rush."

While Hager is projected as a safety at UNT, there is a chance he could play other positions, including running back. Hager said staying close to home factored into his decision to commit to UNT.

The new coaching staff at UNT also played a part.

"I really want to be a part of building the program at North Texas with coach Dodge," Hager said. "I liked him and the new staff there."

Hager is the son of Britt Hager, who played linebacker for the Broncos, Eagles and Rams in an NFL career that spanned from 1989-97.

While Hager will move to the defensive side of the ball at UNT, Northeast Mississippi Junior College running back Cam Montgomery (6-2, 195) is expected to make an impact in the Mean Green's new spread offense under Dodge.

Montgomery was a preseason second-team NJCAA All-American last season when he rushed for 603 yards. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards his freshman season.

New UNT running backs coach Shelton Gandy, who spent the last two seasons at Louisiana Tech, recruited Montgomery.

"I liked coach Gandy and the new facilities at North Texas," said Montgomery, who committed late Monday night. "I will get a chance to compete for the starting job and will also have a chance to graduate."

Montgomery was an all-district selection at The Woodlands in Conroe and was a highly recruited player after rushing for more than 1,000 yards his senior year.

Baylor, Texas A&M and Louisiana Tech all recruited Montgomery out of The Woodlands. Illinois, Houston and Boise State were among the schools that showed interest in Montgomery after he completed his junior college career.

"We ran the same type of offense at Northeast," Montgomery said. "That will help me at UNT."

UNT has already started to lineup visits for next weekend while taking commitments from players who visited last weekend.

Plano West offensive lineman J.J. Johnson is among the players scheduled to visit the Mean Green beginning Friday, his father confirmed.

UNT has received 14 oral commitments thus far for Dodge's first recruiting class.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas commitments

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas

Pos. Player School

LB Marquese Davis Atlanta DL Jesse DeSoto San Antonio Lee WR Sam Dibrell S.A. Alamo Heights S Bron Hager Austin Westlake

WR Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage WR Marcus King Euless Trinity WR Jason Martinson Birville RB Micah Mosley Nederland

LB Justin Padron Southlake Carroll WR Sam Roberson Sommerville DE Kyle Russo Southlake Carroll WR Evan Walker Colleyville Heritage

Transfers

WR Evan Fentriss Rice* RB Cam Montgomery NE Miss. Junior College**

* -- Will be eligible beginning in the 2008 season

** -- Midterm transfer

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

This just keeps getting better and better!!! Props to TD and the rest of the coaches!!! Can you feel the September winds yet.... I can! :D

I hope J-Mo reacts to this the right way and comes in ready to bust his arse.

He can bust his arse all he wants, but if the OL isn't busting their collective arse's first, he's going to have the same results as last year.

I have a feeling that we are going to have a lot of renewed spirit/arse-busting on this team.....starting this spring.