Fire Parcells............and.......

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly what would be the clutch? Throwing to him 4 times on the road against a pitifully beat up secondary, one in which is having to play a guy Dallas cut three years ago, who hasn't played in 3 seasons and has been working as a loan officer in Dallas until last friday, all of it coming down to 4 throws in the playoffs? That's giving your $25 Million reciever an opportunity to play in the clutch?

Rick

You are right, 4 throws is not a lot, but I think Romo gets tired of the guy dropping passes he should catch. He decides to drop one tonight that he should have caught, and Romo just decides not to throw to him anymore. I don't know. That game was sick. TO just doesn't come through in big games. If he is that good of a WR, why couldn't he get anymore open than to get 4 balls thrown his way?

I'm not the biggest TO fan, but he did play a great game in the Super Bowl for the Eagles, and in SF, he had an amazing game winning catch to win a playoff game. I don't see the disappearing in big games thing...why aren't you this upset at Glenn? He had a drop tonight and a very costly fumble.

I'm not the biggest TO fan, but he did play a great game in the Super Bowl for the Eagles, and in SF, he had an amazing game winning catch to win a playoff game. I don't see the disappearing in big games thing...why aren't you this upset at Glenn? He had a drop tonight and a very costly fumble.

I agree. The offense didn't execute like they should have. If you hold Seattle's offense to 19 points you should win. I am simply sick of this team not having the "The go for the jugular" mentality. This team caves when it's got a lead. There's only one person responsible for that.

While sitting on the lead at 17-10 and a chance to break Seattle's back with the ball inside their 20 here's the play calling that drives me crazy.

1st and 10 at SEA 19 (12:01) J.Jones right tackle to SEA 13 for 6 yards (R.Davis).

2nd and 4 at SEA 13 (11:31) J.Jones up the middle to SEA 10 for 3 yards (M.Boulware). Official measurement

3-1-SEA 10 (10:59) M.Barber left guard to SEA 11 for -1 yards (L.Hill, B.Fisher).

4th and 2 at SEA 11 (10:19) M.Gramatica 29 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-T.Romo. 20 13

Rick

I disagree. But if like you say that running on 1st and 2nd down, getting into a 3rd and long and then throwing on 3rd, all starting from the 11 was not conservative, then explain the other situations. The last scoring opportunity in which we go up 20-13 with the field goal? What about the 2nd and goal from the 2 against Philly? You have that much talent at reciever and you can't hit someone in the slot from the 2 in the endzone on 2nd, 3rd, 4th down?

Last year he tried to run the clock out in both Redskin games, while settling for field goals and it bit him on the ass. Same thing this year. It's a pattern, and it sucks. It sucked with Dickey, and it sucks now after 4 years with Parcells.

Rick

I already explained the only other situation, which would have been to run the ball all 3 downs to burn clock. At that point you have to burn clock and run the ball at least twice. But I'm guessing you wanted 3 straight passes? From the way Romo was playing, that very likely could have been 3 incompletions, which would have give the Seahawks the ball with almost 2 minutes and 2 timeouts. Again, he didn't try to settle for a field goal, they threw the ball on 3rd down and were about a foot from having another first down. I would understand you being upset about conservative playcalling if they would have ran 3 straight times up the middle just to burn clock. But that is a very valid strategy at that point in the game as well. Conservative, but very valid.

I agree. The offense didn't execute like they should have. If you hold Seattle's offense to 19 points you should win. I am simply sick of this team not having the "The go for the jugular" mentality. This team caves when it's got a lead. There's only one person responsible for that.

While sitting on the lead at 17-10 and a chance to break Seattle's back with the ball inside their 20 here's the play calling that drives me crazy.

1st and 10 at SEA 19 (12:01) J.Jones right tackle to SEA 13 for 6 yards (R.Davis).

2nd and 4 at SEA 13 (11:31) J.Jones up the middle to SEA 10 for 3 yards (M.Boulware). Official measurement

3-1-SEA 10 (10:59) M.Barber left guard to SEA 11 for -1 yards (L.Hill, B.Fisher).

4th and 2 at SEA 11 (10:19) M.Gramatica 29 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-L.Ladouceur, Holder-T.Romo. 20 13

Rick

So the first two plays get you to 3rd and inches and then you run the short yardage demon, NFC TD-leading MB3 on 3rd and don't get it? I don't see the issue. On 3rd and inches, the offense should have a big advantage, and you should be able to lean on the D and get a 1st, especially with someone like Barber. How can this be an example of horrible coaching??

Look, I know you're upset. But take a deep breath and look at this game without a preconcieved dislike for Big Bill. The gameplan was solid enought to put us in the position to win. Period. That cannot be debated. A ballsy third down pass to Witten comes up inches short on a reversal, or else we win. We ran the ball well. Conservative is not always a bad thing-- not at all. And you know, we weren't even that conservative tonight. A couple of simple could-happen-to-anyone mistakes happened to Glenn and Romo, and we lost. Period.

It's football. It happens. One team wins, the other loses. Fluky stuff happens. Amazing plays happen. Every game, whether in week one or the playoffs, doesn't need to be punctuated by irrational screaming to the heavens about people getting fired or cut or whatever... sometimes, it's just football.

I already explained the only other situation, which would have been to run the ball all 3 downs to burn clock. At that point you have to burn clock and run the ball at least twice. But I'm guessing you wanted 3 straight passes? From the way Romo was playing, that very likely could have been 3 incompletions, which would have give the Seahawks the ball with almost 2 minutes and 2 timeouts. Again, he didn't try to settle for a field goal, they threw the ball on 3rd down and were about a foot from having another first down. I would understand you being upset about conservative playcalling if they would have ran 3 straight times up the middle just to burn clock. But that is a very valid strategy at that point in the game as well. Conservative, but very valid.

Exactly... now three PASSES?!? THAT would have been a ridiculous coaching move. By ANY standards.

Yeah... the Offense screwed up some things along the way, and Romo needs a training camp under his belt where he is the starter...

...however, despite the bobbled snap, I really thing the Offense did their part last night and most of the season, and the weaknesses are easily fixed.

...the DEFENSE, however - From the DC on down - S U C K S ! ! ! !

First, we've got a DC who really doesn't understand the scheme Parcells wants him to run. Parcells should fire him and bring in someone who does understand the scheme. The defensive playcalling was HORRID tonight and has been for the back half of this season. It's like they've been in the Prevent defense since week 12. Soft zone coverage, anyone can pick 6 to 15 yards up against us at will so long as the reciever catchse the ball. (sound **coughUNTcough** familliar?)

There is some talent on the defense, but it needs to be analized by someone with a clue and a scheme built around what we have. Lots of complaints about Williams, but when the defense is playing soft, he can't hit everyone. Nor can Demarcus Ware. Carpenter really stepped up last night, and with Greg Ellis back, there is some real talent on the Defensive side of the ball. Defense should be our offseason and draft focus and a new DC should be found.

FFR,

I will agree with you that the Offensive Game Plan seemed way to conservative. We had a NFL team playing with "walk-ons" and we didn't take advantage of that. That game should not have to come down to that play. And, with the Post about "Romo not running", you were right. The Middle was wide open all night. That is Coach Parcells getting to Romo.

I'm sorry, but I don't know the last time that I have felt so bad for a player. I know you can't compare Romo with Favre. But, I do enjoy Romos free spirit attitude. If you harness that too much...you will get more undecisions and lost that spirit.

FFR...ParksAndRecRick agrees with you on this one.

The Conservative Game Plan cost the Cowboys that game!

A couple of observations. Since Parcells has been in town all of the Cowboy drafts have been def. oriented, seems like the off. is considered a distant 2nd in importance.Yet the def. has failed time after time. It also seems to me that when Romo was having sucess he was rolling out , moving in the pocket and streching the def.'s coverage. Last night , seldom did he move at all.Throwing off his heels, short hop, short hop.

I'm not cutting anyone any slack. My first post last night listed Terry Glenn - how do you fumble that ball at that point on the field?

The criticism of Roy Williams is for season-long failure to cover. His jar-shattering hits do not make up for a member of the secondary who cannot cover. And there have been a few too many missed tackles - like the one where he knifed into the backfield and whiffed on Shaun Alexander. James got beat on the TD down the middle early, but it was Roy Williams who got beat on Jeremy Stevens' 15-yard TD reception in the third quarter.

Tony Romo was horrible, and not just on the field goal. He fumbled earlier in the game - I believe his seventh fumble. He threw poorly much of the night. How many passes were short? One pass to Owens was thrown behind him, allowing the defender to catch up and knock it away. He was off target all night and he took a couple of sacks because he held the ball too long. When your quarterback plays like that, you have to be more conservative in your play calling.

I am a Tony Romo fan, but he is precariously close to being another flash-in-the-pan quarterback - a guy who shows some promise but then disappears. He was poor the last few weeks, and it is up to him regroup this offseason and improve next year.

The play calling before the field goal was correct. You throw three times at that point and you should be fired. You must run the ball to use up the opponent's time outs. Parcells had every reason to believe he had the field goal in his pocket, so his play calling was correct. He milked the clock, got in position to kick, and used up Seattle's timeouts. Having done that, he threw on third and came close to a first down that would have ended the game. The failure on the field goal was just unimaginable.

HOWEVER: Parcells should not be back next year. This team has been worse as the season has progressed every year. I agree completely with Tim Cowlishaw's column on Page 1 of the Morning News. The collapse of this team this year should cost him his job.

I have never said we should throw three or four straight times. But it has become very apparant that he plays not to lose. Don't just take this game into consideration. Look at the other bad loses in the past, this year and last.

Sure, when you have an opportunity to run off clock and minimize their opponents opportunity to score, then fine. But there was 1:19 left on the clock there at the end. Plenty of time for Seattle to hit their TE all the way down the field, and who's to say they couldn't have pulled it off? We couldn't stop it the past 5 weeks, why would we now?

Play not to lose and it will cost you. The sickening thing about Parcells is that if given the same opportunity at the beginning of the 4th quarter with a 1st and 10 at Seattle's 19 he would run it again and again to set up for another field goal rather than go for the throat. That wasn't the right call last year in the Skins games, it was't this year against Philly and all the others in between. At some point you have to attempt to put someone away to get over the hump.

When your on the road you have to take chances to win.

Rick

It's like Parcells says "You are what you are." The Cowgirls are 9-7 (REGULAR SEASON) bunch of CHOKING DAWGS!!!

Tell me why fans of the Dallas skirtwearers think this team is a disapointment? They have NO heart, no consisitentcy and a Darrell Dickey clone for a head coach.

Face it, the COWBOYS SUCK.

It's like Parcells says "You are what you are." The Cowgirls are 9-7 (REGULAR SEASON) bunch of CHOKING DAWGS!!!

Tell me why fans of the Dallas skirtwearers think this team is a disapointment? They have NO heart, no consisitentcy and a Darrell Dickey clone for a head coach.

Face it, the COWBOYS SUCK.

Well, at least they aren't the Redskins. We can take consolation in that, at least.

Play not to lose and it will cost you. The sickening thing about Parcells is that if given the same opportunity at the beginning of the 4th quarter with a 1st and 10 at Seattle's 19 he would run it again and again to set up for another field goal rather than go for the throat. That wasn't the right call last year in the Skins games, it was't this year against Philly and all the others in between. At some point you have to attempt to put someone away to get over the hump.

We may disagree over some playing calling, but I agree that Parcells is, overall, too conservative. And we are in complete agreement that Parcells should not be back next year. Bottom line: Bill should go.

Fire Parcell???..... get real..... do you want Campo, Switzer, or Gailey back...??? I don't see any Landrys or J.Johnsons out there.

TO... let him go....absolutely !! One reason they don't throw to him more is he drops so many (he led the entire NFL in drops) and so many he drops would have been easy catches. One thing I noticed T.O. does better on difficult catches and catches that he will get tackled immediately but on open field catches he takes his eyes off the ball to see who is about to hit him or where he can run.... in short he has been very undependable and needs to go......... He also quits on routes especially on some those that are likely to get intercepted plus he is a distraction and can't go 10 days without some controversy or mouthing off some. He is the worst Prima Dona ever..... everything is about him. The Boys would do better with out him.

---Additionally... there are not many coaches out there with the personality to get along with Jones ---- Parcells does pretty well and is not intimidated by him. . Better keep the coach we have.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Why not keep Parcells one more year, and then make a run at Cowher for 2008? You know that he wants to coach again. He will probably sit out for a year and wait for the right job t come open, and he wants to get paid. The Cowboys make perfect sense for Cowher. High profile team. Owner with deep pockets who will not only pay a coach, put will pay to stock the team. A new stadium coming in 2009. I think it makes perfect sense. Plus, if the Cowboys don't get him, do you want little Danny Snyder and the Redskins to hire him? I for one don't.

If you let Parcells go, who do we bring in? Jim Mora, Jr? Some coordinator from someplace. I think it is worth it to bring Parcells back for a year and make a serious run at Cowher.

Interesting comments tonight from Drew Pearson and Joe Avazono concerning the CONSERVATIVE play of the Cowboys last night.

Pearson said he wasn't dissapointed in the plays the wide recievers did not make last night, but the play they WERE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE. He said Dallas ran most of their passing plays out of the same set all night instead of mixing up the sets and moving the WR's around. Said Seattle had studied the sets Dallas ran on film and new which plays were run out of each set making it easy for them to know what play was comin. Said with the talent Dallas has at the WR position they were not utilized near enough. Overall I take it that he was saying Dallas was too CONSERVATIVE.

Avazono came right out and said Dallas' game plan was too conservative. Said that when Sean Payton was at New York, his play calling was taken away from him then and once he got to Dallas, Parcells squashed much of his play calling also and didn't let him fully run the offense as he saw fit. Said the criticism Payton got for his play calling when he was in Dallas, under Parcells was a bit unfair because Parcels certainly had a hand in how the offense ran. Then once Payton got to New Orleans his true talents showed as an offensive minded coach. Then coach Joe came right out again and stated the cowboys game plan is conservative and that Parcells was the reason for it. He thinks it's time for him to go and then suggested that a good replacement for Parcells would be Norv Turner which would be important for the development of Tony Romo.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Interesting comments tonight from Drew Pearson and Joe Avazono concerning the CONSERVATIVE play of the Cowboys last night.

Pearson said he wasn't dissapointed in the plays the wide recievers did not make last night, but the play they WERE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE. He said Dallas ran most of their passing plays out of the same set all night instead of mixing up the sets and moving the WR's around. Said Seattle had studied the sets Dallas ran on film and new which plays were run out of each set making it easy for them to know what play was comin. Said with the talent Dallas has at the WR position they were not utilized near enough. Overall I take it that he was saying Dallas was too CONSERVATIVE.

Avazono came right out and said Dallas' game plan was too conservative. Said that when Sean Payton was at New York, his play calling was taken away from him then and once he got to Dallas, Parcells squashed much of his play calling also and didn't let him fully run the offense as he saw fit. Said the criticism Payton got for his play calling when he was in Dallas, under Parcells was a bit unfair because Parcels certainly had a hand in how the offense ran. Then once Payton got to New Orleans his true talents showed as an offensive minded coach. Then coach Joe came right out again and stated the cowboys game plan is conservative and that Parcells was the reason for it. He thinks it's time for him to go and then suggested that a good replacement for Parcells would be Norv Turner which would be important for the development of Tony Romo.

Rick

Not that I don't think the Tuna is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I'm not sure I take much stock in what Joe Avazano has to say. I mean, didn't Parcells fire him from the Cowboy's special teams job? I do think that Norv Turner would be an interesting choice for the next HC though. He's got experience with the Cowboys and did a good job as OC a few years back.