Todd Dodge's mantra at Southlake was "Protect the Tradition"

Does this apply to tortillas?

"Another Mean Green first down"?

THUNDER,,,

Cannon firing?

Me Drunk at Tailgating?

Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun Dun ta Dun Song?

What do we keep What do we chuck?

Me and a handfull of other Mean Green fans, mostly Talon alumni, have done all we physically could do over the years to fight certain factions on campus to "Protect The Tradition", or "Traditions" rather, and have somehow managed successfully to keep most of them alive. After the '05 season in which I and a few others nearly went to Jail was when we then had to finally concede to the fact that the university was hell bent on forgetting the great football team of the '88 season and their accomplishments and give up the tortilla's. We offered solutions to the one main problem with that and didn't get anywhere. Eventually people became more concerned, and rightfully so, with how much south the team was going mid way through the '05 season and the tort's went away, at least on the alumni side. Still there are other rich traditions we still hold onto that makes North Texas unique and a fun place to be. With that we can be very proud.

Rick

I think we ought to focus on our traditions that are not the same as another in-state school that gets a lot more notoriety.

Yes, I know the story about how the tortilla thing started, but Tech is who is known for the tossing of tortilla, and Id prefer to NEVER have anyone think we are copying those stepchildren

I think we ought to focus on our traditions that are not the same as another in-state school that gets a lot more notoriety.

Yes, I know the story about how the tortilla thing started, but Tech is who is known for the tossing of tortilla, and Id prefer to NEVER have anyone think we are copying those stepchildren

You still don't get it, and I suspect, you an others who think like you, never will. :rolleyes:

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I don't really care about the idea of stealing any tradition that we have done for 18 years, it is ours now, what that boils down to is an insecurity of being small time, "Oh My God what if we look silly" attitude.

The real problem now is how the hell would any of us be able to afford the tortillas it would take to keep up with a Hemi powered Mean Green Offense.

I think having green beach balls in the crowd after scores could be cool....heck some NT fan could produce some that say "Dodge Ball" on them....I know the beach ball is a bit of a baseball thing, but lets face it people like things that cause temporary and safe chaos in the stands....and without a visulally attractive stadium it could be a good distraction and get more students who are tanked in the parking lot to actually come into the game to ass around in the stands....not to mention with the track around the stadiumand the sidelines the "dodge balls" will never get to the field of play....

And even though we did create the Tortilla thing, thise outside of the Mean Green nation (and some in it) don't know that and the general perception is that we are copying Tech....Its a fresh start with TD, and its gonna be a bright future, lets start some kick ass traditions for a potential Kick ass program.

Bass

Tradition we should get rid of is that of that song " Hey Baby" by the band.....AWFUL

:angry: HEY NOW! :angry:

That is a great tradition that the Green Brigade has established. Just about everyone participates in it, it's fun, and it connects North Texas fans from several generations.

"Hey Baby" is a one hit wonder by Bruce Channel (from Jacksonville Texas), released in 1962. More information here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Channel

I say keep the tortilla's, I have seen students and alumni have fun by celebrating our football achievements by tossing these objects with enthusiasm. I mean its fun and brings alot of students fans to cheer on our team...

Agreed...we really need to quit worrying about what other people think we 'stole' from someone else.

:angry: HEY NOW! :angry:

That is a great tradition that the Green Brigade has established. Just about everyone participates in it, it's fun, and it connects North Texas fans from several generations.

"Hey Baby" is a one hit wonder by Bruce Channel (from Jacksonville Texas), released in 1962. More information here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Channel

I like the piece, too. The one game I caught this past season, everyone on the student side was involved. Was that the exception, or are you (playmaker) just wanting to get rid of it because of your own opinion of the song? Seems to me that if something works, keep it.

-gm

And even though we did create the Tortilla thing, thise outside of the Mean Green nation (and some in it) don't know that and the general perception is that we are copying Tech....Its a fresh start with TD, and its gonna be a bright future, lets start some kick ass traditions for a potential Kick ass program.

this is all I was trying to say. I think throwing tortillas is a blast. I "get it". I just think it will always be associated with Tech, no matter what.

sorry for going against popular opinion and being one of "those people". jeez

Edited by Eagle1855

Bass

We have people within the Mean Green Nation that still doesn't know the Fight Song. Should we just set that aside, and start a new one too? And the "general perception" isn't that we are copying anyone, it's that North Texas has no traditions, period. I wonder why that is?

Education is easy and it's cheap. In regards to our traditions, learn it, live it and pass it on.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

We have people within the Mean Green Nation that still doesn't know the Fight Song. Should we just set that aside, and start a new one too? And the "gereral perception" isn't that we are copying anyone, it's that North Texas has no traditions, period. I wonder why that is?

Education is easy and it's cheap. In regards to our traditions, learn it, live it and pass it on.

Rick

well said

"You still don't get it, and I suspect, you an others who think like you, never will."

i fall in the "others who think you like" category. i hate the tortilla throwing "thing" that we do. to even consider it a tradition first of all is ridiculous to me. rick it's a tradition to you because you started it. congrats, your like the guy who starts the wave at a game. you did it once, it worked, now get over it. the bell, the cannon.... those are traditions. when TD is telling his players at North Texas to "protect the tradition".. do you think that it motivates them in the fourth quarter to keep those tortillas sacred? "let's win one for the corn" so the basis of my argument is not whether or not we stole it. (althogh the perception is we did) i am just saying it is stupid. there is no sacredness in it. i am not going to put it on my class ring. to herald it is a "tradition" is ridiculous.

ps- next year i am going to take my jesus action figure, put him on the track and claim that we started the whole "touchdown jesus" thing

We have people within the Mean Green Nation that still doesn't know the Fight Song. Should we just set that aside, and start a new one too? And the "general perception" isn't that we are copying anyone, it's that North Texas has no traditions, period. I wonder why that is?

I hardly think knowing our fight song is on par with the vagaries of tortilla-tossing, but to each his own.

Education is easy and it's cheap.

I like how you are always so gracious in all of your posts, and never condescending. :rolleyes:

Tortillas were fun to throw, but I never thought of them as a tradition. 03 & 04 seasons seemed to be popular to throw the tortillas, but I have been to plenty of games during other seasons and there were never that many tortillas thrown...

Do you count Mean Green Village as a tradition even though it's fairly new? My boys and I do. That is just part of game day and they love going...

I for one would like to see as a tradition the team after ever game, no matter the outcome, go over to the stands near the band and sing the alma matter. That is a tradition worth starting, then protecting...

I might be the only one that thinks this, but I HATE the Thunder song. I hate it even more when it is blasted over the low grade speakers at the games. Every time I bring freinds to games or when new students go they always ask me "what the hell are they playing?" I am down with a new unofficial song.

"You still don't get it, and I suspect, you an others who think like you, never will."

i fall in the "others who think you like" category. i hate the tortilla throwing "thing" that we do. to even consider it a tradition first of all is ridiculous to me. rick it's a tradition to you because you started it. congrats, your like the guy who starts the wave at a game. you did it once, it worked, now get over it. the bell, the cannon.... those are traditions.

Who the hell told you that? Your a bit off base with your facts considering as long as you have been posting here.

But I'm glad you happen to mention the bell and the cannon. Neither are completely unique to our school as other schools have cannon's and bell's, like they have marches across a piece of land before games like we do, a bonfire like we do. They sing fight songs like we do, have pep rally's like we do, light up building towers in their school's colors after a win, like we do etc........ Let's GET OVER all of those as well and not have any traditions, because after all, someone like me started them some time back. It worked before, but now let's simply move on to something else.

.the bell, the cannon...those are traditions.

That's some funny shit! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you recognize them as such, because I doubt you have a clue as to how extremely fragile a subject it is that they even still exist at North Texas, today.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I could not agree more.