Mean Green defeat Tulsa

Coach

The crowd responded to the game in streaks...and were really noisy in the last few minutes. Tulsa actually had a good turn out... probably 50 or so folks sitting right next to our student section. The officiating was very poor again. There were phantom calls on both teams all night. Mean Green and Tulsa fans took turns booing the refs.

I have to say, this win was a complete Mean Green team effort. We grinded out this win. It wasn't pretty, but each player gave their all. This team has absolutely no quit in them. They hung in their the whole game...a really pesky team to our foes. There may be one benefit to Davis sitting out: now team members are starting to look to each other, rather than just to Davis, to carry them through the rough times.

Edited by chrisfisher

The crowd responded to the game in streaks...and were really noisy in the last few minutes. Tulsa actually had a good turn out... probably 50 or so folks sitting right next to our student section.  The officiating was very poor again. There were phantom calls on both teams all night. Mean Green and Tulsa fans took turns booing the refs.

I have to say, this win was a complete Mean Green team effort. We grinded out this win. It wasn't pretty, but each player gave their all. This team has absolutely no quit in them. They hung in their the whole game...a really pesky team to our foes.  There may be one benefit to Davis sitting out: now team members are starting to look to each other, rather than just to Davis, to carry them through the rough times.

Good post.

Great game. It was worth the drive from Dallas.

As always the Super Pit is a great place to watch basketball.

How good are Rice and Tulsa?  I love that we beat some teams that people have heard of, I'm just wondering how good we really are this year?

Well, we are probably better than last season, and that ain't a bad thing. It is really too early to tell though. However, we play Western Kentucky Dec 19. They are currently ranked #15 in the nation by Sagarin and a top 10 mid major. That will be an excellent measuring stick for us.

My dad and I went to our first UNT game this season. Here are my first impressions.

Positives:

1. Tenacious defense - Loved the press in the 2nd half. Tulsa pressed us in the 1st half and gave us difficulty, but we returned the favor and created numerous turnovers. The perimeter defense was really good.

2. Rebounding - We dominated the glass. Really impressed with Harold Stewart and his will to hit the boards among bigger players.

We know by watching the Mavs what rebounding and perimeter defense can do in a guard dominated league, which both the NBA and college games are now.

3. 3 Point Shooting - I don't know what our % was and we only made 7. But you can tell when the ball leaves a player's hand whether they are really a long distance shooter or just a guy that takes long shots. Sturns, Watson, Young, and Mangrum look like real 3 point makers, not shooters.

OK, now the Negatives:

1. Free throw shooting - Always baffles me that guys with a good looking outside shot can't make free throws. If we don't get this under control, it will cost us key conference games.

2. Feeding the ball to our bigs inside - Quincy and Wooden were working hard on the block all night, but our guards were too passive in feeding the post. I believe that is why we had difficulty getting open looks. The ball did not go in to the post in time so that when the defensive guard comes down, we can kick it back out for an open look.

3. Wooden very underwhelming - I hate to say this after one game, but after reading this board and knowing that he was highly recruited out of high school, I had much higher expectations. I have a hard time projecting his impact this year other than defense and rebounding. I had to wonder if he was in shape.

That was my take. Again, it was my first impression. I do think this is the most cohesive, quick unit that we have had in Johnny's tenure. Can't wait for Davis to return. The community should be able to get behind this team this year so long as we stay healthy and play with the same intensity and desire as last night.

OK, rip away!! tongue.gif

Second awesome NT game for me. I was at the Charlotte game and now the Tulsa game. I think I am the good luck charm...sorry I was not there for the UTA game! sad.gif

Crowd was not great, but did really get into it at the end which was fun. The team was pumping their arms trying to get the crowd into it at the end, and the crowd responded.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

My dad and I went to our first UNT game this season.  Here are my first impressions. 

Positives:

1.  Tenacious defense -  Loved the press in the 2nd half.  Tulsa pressed us in the 1st half and gave us difficulty, but we returned the favor and created numerous turnovers.  The perimeter defense was really good.

2.  Rebounding - We dominated the glass.  Really impressed with Harold Stewart and his will to hit the boards among bigger players.

We know by watching the Mavs what rebounding and perimeter defense can do in a guard dominated league, which both the NBA and college games are now.

3.  3 Point Shooting - I don't know what our % was and we only made 7.  But you can tell when the ball leaves a player's hand whether they are really a long distance shooter or just a guy that takes long shots.  Sturns, Watson, Young, and Mangrum look like real 3 point makers, not shooters.

OK, now the Negatives:

1.  Free throw shooting - Always baffles me that guys with a good looking outside shot can't make free throws.  If we don't get this under control, it will cost us key conference games.

2.  Feeding the ball to our bigs inside - Quincy and Wooden were working hard on the block all night, but our guards were too passive in feeding the post.  I believe that is why we had difficulty getting open looks.  The ball did not go in to the post in time so that when the defensive guard comes down, we can kick it back out for an open look.

3.  Wooden very underwhelming - I hate to say this after one game, but after reading this board and knowing that he was highly recruited out of high school, I had much higher expectations.  I have a hard time projecting his impact this year other than defense and rebounding.  I had to wonder if he was in shape.

That was my take.  Again, it was my first impression.  I do think this is the most cohesive, quick unit that we have had in Johnny's tenure.  Can't wait for Davis to return.  The community should be able to get behind this team this year so long as we stay healthy and play with the same intensity and desire as last night.

OK, rip away!!  tongue.gif

Great post.

I just reviewed the stats for the Tulsa game. I am even more excited about our Tulsa win. We had horrible shooting, and for an outside shooting team, this usually costs us that game. If I had looked at these numbers (without knowing the final score) combined with the knowledge that Davis sat out, I would undoubtedly predicted we lost this game. Fact is, we found a way to win despite our poor shooting. This is how the great teams win games. I am not saying we are "great," though time will tell. What I am saying, is this is a very good sign that our team is maturing into something better than we have ever been. I don't think we could have pulled this win off last season given those stats. Next week's Nebraska game will give us an idea were we are at right now.