Could this be the year we sign a blue-chip QB?

MeanGreenZen

We’re stuck with Dickey for one more year. Which means we’re stuck with one more Dickey recruiting class. There is no excuse for Dickey to strikeout on a blue-chip quarterback recruit again this year.

Of the nine other Division I-A schools in Texas, six are starting a freshman or sophomore quarterback this season and all of them are having some degree of success. Plus, Texas’ Jevan Snead is rumored to be transferring to Houston. Which means, if a QB recruit wants a good shot at playing college football in the state of Texas anytime soon his best choices are UTEP, TCU and UNT.

Starting QBs at D-1A Texas colleges

Texas – Colt McCoy, Freshman

Baylor – Blake Szymanski, Freshman

SMU – Justin Willis, Freshman

Rice – Chase Clement, Sophomore

Texas A&M – Stephen McGee, Sophomore

Texas Tech -- Graham Harrell, Sophomore

Houston – Kevin Kolb, Senior

UTEP – Jordan Palmer, Senior

TCU – Jeff Ballard, Senior

We have to find a way to get a decent QB in Denton. 13 interceptions to 7 touchdown passes isn’t cutting it. I can’t believe we’re spending four scholarships on QBs this season and getting this type of production. Some of those guys have to go.

I say move Woody to defensive back, running back or wide receiver. Run off Meager. Keep developing Tune and hold on to Phillips. He might just have a little something.

We need to bring in two legitimate D-1A quarterbacks in this recruiting class, maybe one should even be a juco.

It sure would help if we ran an offense that was invented after leather helmets went out of style. But what are you going to do? There has never been a better opportunity to sell a young quarterback on the whole “come here and have a chance to play right away” pitch.

Tune's only D-I offer was North Texas.  If he was the "real deal," with all the QB problems that NT has had this year, his redshirt would have been off by now.

No disrespect to Nathan Tune...but he's a 2A QB that no one else targeted.  He's not the real deal.

I thought he was one of those recuits that either was injured or had grade issues his senior year that made other schools back off

IfWe’re stuck with Dickey for one more year, then there ain't no way we will find a way to get a decent QB in Denton.

Whoever on the UNT campus would be jaded and cruel enough to force all this upon the UNT community for even just one more month after this season officially ends this month should be castrated and then be told there is an immediate opening for a 1'st soprano in the Vienna Boys Choir; and also that there are many NT Exes who will buy their airline tickets for his (their?) trip to Vienna. blink.gif Sorry if "castrate" bothers some of you, but its something we do quite often out here in the country with some of our beast of burden. I know, in Denton we have a different kind of burden and that's for damn sure.

Can you read this? ARE SOME OF OUR ELECT EXTREMELY VISUALLY IMPAIRED?

Just looking at our football recruiting the last 3-4 years under one Coach Darrell Dickey, who are we supposed to recruit (insert non-stop "projects") in the next few weeks and months who would turn all this around in just one year (and now even at an SBC level); assuming those who would be our new boy sopranos would be so dumb-a$$ed as to give DD yet another year to go further under .500 win W/L's in a "10" year career in Denton. This is just one helluva' story that many more (especially the media) in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex will start paying even closer attention to if all the right decisions are not made in the next few weeks concerning DD Ball. sad.gif

In 30 plus years of following our alma mater's football program from very close to (now) my first time away from all this sham, I've never seen such a pathetic and unstable situation that has been unraveling B4 all our very eyes for more than just the last 2 years truth be known; and all this which is officially under the watch of our upper echelon UNT leaders. wink.gif Hey! Do we need to hire any others from SMU or with SMU degrees to help us out in Denton by doing abosolutely nothing pro-active on behalf of Mean Green athletics, specifically football?

Actually, Bobby Ray should have resigned the day after he and his family returned from their first vacation with the Dickey family and should have resigned under the "I can no longer be unbias with Darrell Dickey as our head football coach" card and....................."as his real boss" (as our BOR's really are of any of our employees at UNT) "I can no longer be impartial concerning anything that concerns Darrell Dickey." For you who will be future bosses, unwritten Law #1 is do NOT get too close to those who would be your employees. Some say it a bit more crass and I'll clean up the usual wording: Don't make love to those you will probably eventually poop on! rolleyes.gif

Well, to add insult to injury, even nepotism seems to be creeping into our Texas state assisted university with Bobby Ray's own grandson recently on the men's varsity BB team bench (in a MG uniform); Jim "Mattress Mac" McIngvale's nephew now an assistant football coach under his buddy, DD's tutelage and what else do we not know about that would be one of those gray areas of nepotism?

YET.................many of us refuse to believe that Bobby Ray ever ran his (what we understand to be) a successful home building business in the same manner he has micro-managed and overseen the UNT athletic program as our "self-appointed" post defacto AD. In just recent days, the more I hear about what Rick V has had to endure under all that Bobby Ray has dished out to hime, the more embarrassed I am for ever having written any post dissing what RV has tried to do at UNT (under most difficult circumstances). sad.gif

This is one helluva' big fat Greek mess we've got ourselves into, folks, with our upper echelon leaders of a major Texas university leading the way. For us older alums who had dreamed things would be much better by the time we reached all our respective middle ages (and up), all this has simply just become one big Mean Green Nightmare on Eagle Drive. ph34r.gif

Who do we have who can fix all this from our state capital in Austin such as any specific legislators we could all call, write or email? Anyone have some suggestions with all that or some names and addresses from that group?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PlummMeanGreen writes:

Who do we have who can fix all this from our state capital in Austin such as any specific legislators we could all call, write or email? Anyone have some suggestions with all that or some names and addresses from that group?

I don't know but I think the state should be VERY interested in the progress of our football team. I hope Rick Perry can launch a full-scale investigation into this as soon as the election is over. Or maybe Kinky Freedman? He'll handle this problem ASAP! I encourage people not to vote for one tough Grandma though. Word is she's not that interested in appointing a committee to oversee the goings-on of UNT football. cool.gif

Actually, I do have a specific legislator we could call about this problem. I went on the Texas Senate website & determined after exhaustive research that this is our man: Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa from District 20 (Mission, TX). That guy'll fix things, by god! dry.gif If anyone wants to know the research I compiled during the 20 seconds of scouring the Texas Senate website, let me know.

I thought he was one of those recuits that either was injured or had grade issues his senior year that made other schools back off

Tune had the misfortune to be a passing qb in a running offense and didn't get to start until his senior year which is kind of late for recruiters. He was never injured, had great grades but flew under the radar until the state championship game when he threw for a td and ran for 3 more. Played in the North/South all-star game and had a really good showing especially compared to the Ennis qb who was running his own offense. Tune is the real deal and probably should be playing somewhere else. And to the other poster who called him "just a 2A qb," I guess Colt McCoy wouldn't be good enough for you, now would he?

Tune had the misfortune to be a passing qb in a running offense and didn't get to start until his senior year which is kind of late for recruiters.  He was never injured, had great grades but flew under the radar until the state championship game when he threw for a td and ran for 3 more.  Played in the North/South all-star game and had a really good showing especially compared to the Ennis qb who was running his own offense.  Tune is the real deal and probably should be playing somewhere else.  And to the other poster who called him "just a 2A qb," I guess Colt McCoy wouldn't be good enough for you, now would he?

Looks like Tune's mommy or daddy got on the message board. Tune looked great in the all-star game. I hope he is the Mean Green version of Colt McCoy. We'll see...

Had the QB for the South not passed for 4 td's Tune would have been the Offensive MVP of the all star game. He looked like the real deal then and he looked as advertised in august camp. He easily could be the steal of the '06 class. No one wanted Booger or Quinn or many other of our stars who now have some skins on their walls so give him some time to prove himself. I'm thankful we were able to reshirt him and I believe many will be impressed with him come Spring.

Rick

PlummMeanGreen writes: 

I don't know but I think the state should be VERY interested in the progress of our football team.  I hope Rick Perry can launch a full-scale investigation into this as soon as the election is over.  Or maybe Kinky Freedman?  He'll handle this problem ASAP!  I encourage people not to vote for one tough Grandma though.  Word is she's not that interested in appointing a committee to oversee the goings-on of UNT football.   cool.gif

Actually, I do have a specific legislator we could call about this problem.  I went on the Texas Senate website & determined after exhaustive research that this is our man:  Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa from District 20 (Mission, TX).  That guy'll fix things, by god!   dry.gif  If anyone wants to know the research I compiled during the 20 seconds of scouring the Texas Senate website, let me know.

Very good usage of humor, vratpack...Made me even chuckle just a tad--and not even a dimpled one, whoops, sorry, that was a chad. rolleyes.gif In fact, some in the history of mankind have even used music when all was not so going so good around them, either, inasmuch that Nero used a fiddle while all that was happening around him was burning to the ground. ph34r.gif Does anyone smell smoke in Denton just yet? ph34r.gif

Actually, it was more of a concern with what some leaders of UNT would allow to subtely slip into the operation aspects of our state-assisted university that was of some concern for some of us (such as even any degree of nepotism for starters) and a most unusual way of management happening at UNT such as running a certain program on campus that does command a rather sizeable portion of our school's entire budget that was also a major concern. And.............. if some of us who might have some questions about nepotism, the stewardship of a budget (extended contracts to those not producing) and with such subjects as that that might not get answered from anyone in Denton or from our campus? And as Texas taxpayers that any from that group might enterain any questions from our elected officials down in Austin relating to anything associated with an institution affected by Texas taxpayers, then just maybe we could get a few answers from such elected officials from our own state capital (since it was Governor Perry, cpatrack, who appointed Bobby Ray in the first damn place)! mad.gif

Also, not really concerned or worried if anyone in Austin, Texas, were Mean Green fans. And going by 15K per home game averages @ Fouts Field from even around the Greater Denton area the last 9 years running, I'd seriously doubt there would be many Mean Green auto window stickers seen around Austin, Texas, these days. I would think (and hope), though, that UNT does have a lobbyist or 2 talking up our school with Texas legislators such as NT Athletic Hall of Famer Walt Parker played such a role for our alma mater for years.

But go ahead with your own unique style of humor as there seems to be a stronger scent of smoke rising in the air, vpr, while Mean Green football continues in its southbound lane to new destinations even this football program will have never gone before, that is, before all this is over with (under present leadership at the very top).

But as they say, humor is laughter for the soul. Did you hear the one about................ rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm -- Glad you were able to take the joke on my little post earlier. You're a good guy. biggrin.gif I swear, I try the same stuff on my fantasy football website & some guys think I just insulted everybody & started WW III. Game on!

We now return this thread that I hijacked back to it's regularly scheduled topic. Do I think we can sign a blue chip QB this year? Um, no.

Looks like Tune's mommy or daddy got on the message board. Tune looked great in the all-star game. I hope he is the Mean Green version of Colt McCoy. We'll see...

Please don't insult sad.gif his parents by assuming that, but I have watched the kid play and IMO he has a head for the game. He may or may not be the next Colt, but the point was, you can't rule out a kid just because he played 2A. Besides, it's obvious that QB is not the only problem here.

Plumm -- Glad you were able to take the joke on my little post earlier.  You're a good guy.    biggrin.gif  I swear, I try the same stuff on my fantasy football website & some guys think I just insulted everybody & started WW III.  Game on! 

We now return this thread that I hijacked back to it's regularly scheduled topic.  Do I think we can sign a blue chip QB this year?  Um, no.

Fair enough, fellow alum! tongue.gif

The next few weeks in MG Country and the decisions that just have to be made do have many of us older fart alums a bit testy these days I will admit.

Tune had the misfortune to be a passing qb in a running offense and didn't get to start until his senior year which is kind of late for recruiters.  He was never injured, had great grades but flew under the radar until the state championship game when he threw for a td and ran for 3 more.  Played in the North/South all-star game and had a really good showing especially compared to the Ennis qb who was running his own offense.  Tune is the real deal and probably should be playing somewhere else.  And to the other poster who called him "just a 2A qb," I guess Colt McCoy wouldn't be good enough for you, now would he?

I'm very familiar with Nathan Tune's qualifications. Watched him play several times both on the basketball floor and the football field, I also watched the entire N/S game where he grossly outperformed Clark Harrell. As a Mean Green fan, I truly wish him the best. But as I stated before, if he was the "real deal", if he could truly help the Mean Green be a better football team, his red shirt would be off by now.

Hopefully he is a steal...but I was responding to the poster who called him the "real deal". There is no evidence to support him being called a "real deal" quarterback at the Divsion I level.

Perhaps my words were a bit too harsh out of frustration and for effect, but I still do not believe that there is any reason to believe that Tune is the next 4 year starting quarterback for the Mean Green.

But as I stated before, if he was the "real deal", if he could truly help the Mean Green be a better football team, his red shirt would be off by now. 

Maybe, maybe not. Remember, this is the same coaching staff that did not play the Green Team in the 2nd half against La Tech. You know, the green team that got us back into the game?